Australia - really?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by GentleChief, 11th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

a business that does work for a customer, and occasionally provides goods, but is not involved in manufacturing.

financial and medical industry are also service industry. tho medical has always "stand" on their own because its such a big industry but technically its a service. service industry is the way to go for country like australia if u ask me.

australia need to seriously look at way from manufacturing unless is super high tech or high value.. ie the swiss and german way of manufacturing.. unless your patek phillip or rolex, which is 100% manufacturer in swiss, even german cars are "assembled" in germany some/large parts of their cars come from oversea.

2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I have not even bothered (yet) to read any futher than the 1st page in this thread but here are 2 answers that say it all for me.
    Oh, and I might put an emphasis on Supply v Demand for property in Australia.
    Where do you want to live?

3. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

What an incredibly naive statement. Wow !
    So does your assessment of USA include the Obama years?
    Im sorry but you really need to get out a bit more and read the facts for what they really are and stop listening watching CNN Facebook etc.

4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Wow, 32% want to leave Italy! Afternoon siesta, followed by a glass of Chianti with some goats cheese watching the sunset over the Mediterranean -is it really that bad!

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have thought about retiring in Italy. If a lot of people leave then it will nice and quiet too :p

Phase2 and Blueskies like this.
  6. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Manufacturing is a no go for Australia.
    As other have stated above. We really need to focus on our core competitive advantages.

My 2 cents for future growth:
    • Agriculture
    • Service orientated business models
    • Tourism
    • Education
    The population boom not because we are offering the most innovative product ideas to the world, we have this boom mainly because we offer peace, clean environment, and you can be whoever you want to be (if equal opportunities are given).
    The Chinese ain't investing Billions of dollars into Australia because we are the most innovative or advanced country for that matters, in fact, the complete opposites, most views Australia as a backward country that offers a clean environment, and that's why they are here and for the future.

relentless1 and Phar Lap like this.
  7. radson

radson Well-Known Member

8. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Based on this list, 6 / 10 from our top 10 actually went backwards compared to previous year.
    This list consists of mostly (food and service oriented business model)

The underlining issue is, do you truly believe there is a sustainable long term manufacturing landscape in Australia that is going to help and shape for our future generation?

Attached Files:

9. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Of course. Manufacturing is a generic term for a very complex and dynamic sector of any economy. From pharmaceuticals to food manufacturing to niche machinery parts. I am sure Australia with its future projected 35-40 million people with a relatively young well educated workforce coupled with a floating exchange rate will be making 'lots of stuff'

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Low inflation and no population growth doesnt necessarily correlate with low house prices.

The precedent is Japan
    Japan’s housing market remains buoyant

I would not use Detroit as a comparison to "Australia"

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Last reno I sourced a lot of materials that had been manufactured locally. Good prices and great quality. There is a lot of manufacturing going on that many people would have no idea about.

12. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Great post. We’re certainly a land of plenty when it comes natural resources AND we have so many innovative people in this country. IMO where we are weakest is the value-add bit in the middle ie basic cost structure in Oz very high, and many home-grown aussie workers are too precious about doing mundane roles, there’s so many comfy options in instead. Plus they love being clustered in overcrowded cities and near beaches.
    We’ll never turn the country back from this, and I’m not arguing that we should as a whole, cos that’s the whole benefit of a liveable society. But I have heard people talk about setting up special economic zones in remote and under-developed domestic regions to promote industry that would otherwise never see the light of day, and it’s something I’d like discussed more at a national level. Could really boost our productivity and GDP. Imagine if all the aussies working in the middle east could make the same coin by staying in Oz and building great things for the nation instead. Same logic allows QANTAS to compete effectively in cattle class via Jetstar, instead of losing out on business altogether. Just my 2c, but certainly enjoying this topic.

GentleChief likes this.
  14. Babesoft

Babesoft Well-Known Member

Don't think anyone's mentioned CSL yet - exporter, innovator and advances human health, its success as proven by the incredible ride its share price has had in last few yrs.

Second the points on geography to Asia and the many Australian traits we take for granted, people will pay handsome amounts to experience with travel or move here permanently. I hear they're selling bottled Tasmanian air in China, could become another major export commodity :D

15. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

very wise

Kangabanga likes this.
  16. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

I think it is worth remembering that Japan housing has spent the last 30 odd years losing over 70% of its value, so probably due some upside.

japanese-home-prices.png

17. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Looking at graphs, I thought this was kind of interesting

[​IMG]

Perthguy likes this.
  18. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Sydney and/or Melbourne in this chat rather than the whole Australia. In the last 10 years, Perth has taken a big hit, Adelaide and Brisbane do not do much, Canberra and Hobart just boomed, and hence will bring down the Sydney/Melbourne graphs.

19. radson

radson Well-Known Member

20. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Thanks. It means Sydney index doubles inbthe last 10 years while Melbourne is 1.8 times. It bring these two cities to the 3rd and 4th positions according to the previous graph, only below Hongkong and India.