Australia Post dumping many random people's letters into our PO Box!!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by money, 30th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. money

money Well-Known Member

Went to check our PO Box today and found about 20 random named people's letters dumped into our PO box, either addressed to those people's PO Box or personal residential address. This is absolutely disgusting and an invasion of privacy. That means our letters could've been dumped into someone else's mailbox too!

Does anyone know of all the different government departments to complain to about this & contacts in the media to expose this disgusting behaviour & invasion of privacy?

Will the government fine Australia Post for an invasion of privacy or just give them a slap on the wrist?

We will take photos of the names/addresses of all these letters for proof.

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2020
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I would start by talking to the postmaster at your post office.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Where in Australia is ‘Planet Mars’ (your forum location) located?

4. money

money Well-Known Member

Yes, we will complain in person but I'm sure they'll come up with some excuse and just say sorry this happened, must be some sort of sorting error then nothing happens and nobody is held accountable.

Australia Post really needs to be made accountable for this invasion of privacy. I think reporting to the appropriate government departments & media is appropriate.

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Sounds like a sorter had a Christmas melt down. As the game goes, you always do what @Simon says.

craigc likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not exactly an invasion of privacy. Speak to the Postmaster. It'll be someone miss sorting the incoming mail and being hasty with the larger than usual mail at this time of year. Hand over what doesn't belong to you, so it can go to the rightful owners.

craigc, wylie and RealSprinter like this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

push the letters back in and onto the floor of the post office and force them to resort.

8. money

money Well-Known Member

lol never thought of that lol

Terry_w likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. Go and complain to your member of Parliament. Mail only gets delivered every second now. This is BS. I get other peoples' mail as well and if it doesn't feel like a card then it goes back into the mailing box lol.

Their CEO recently resigned after the PM gave her a verbal bashing in Parliament. And see if you can get a $5K Cartier watch from the blood sucking leaches.

Redwood and money like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The problem is, Aus post’s remit doesn’t cover Planet Mars. So they were right to dump the mail.

Scott No Mates and Marg4000 like this.
  11. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

A bit over the top IMHO.
    For anything that private and sensitive, these would get delivered via registered mail. Most people can opt for email vs post for bills etc.
    Sure you can view it as an invasion of privacy, but I think most people know that a mail box isn’t one of the most secure structures. Locks can get broken if people really wanted to get in.

Sounds like it was just an error.

12. money

money Well-Known Member

Bank statements aren't posted via registered mail, they come in as regular mail. Imagine someone getting your bank statement, opening it up and knowing how much you have in the bank all because some idiot at Australia Post put your letter in the wrong PO Box, or delivered it to the wrong street address.

Same with letters from the ATO/ASIC which could have your tax file number in the letter, or corporate key for a company on their letters.

Same with drivers licenses from the RMS. I believe it's also not sent via registered mail.

All these things together with your name, address, drivers license number, etc. and identity theft could be done on people.

Not sure the stats on how many PO Boxes have been broken into but I would imagine that it would be quite easy for the thief to be caught as cameras monitor these 24/7. Hopefully they are working though.

datto likes this.
  13. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

You can opt for online statements.
    My tax agent does not send this via mail, it’s done via a portal. Also, if you are signed my for mygov, you will get communication from the ATO via this.
    Fair enough. I guess that’s why you have to provide multiple forms of identification. On a side note some of the members here have previously suggested that you can sign up to the credit check providers where they can provide you past, present and future financial activity. For eg. you will know if someone has asked for a loan under your name. Could be a way you don’t get caught up any identity theft.

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

its not a breach of privacy to deliver mail to the wrong address, but it would be to open someone else's mail

Firefly99, jared7825, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^ yikes

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Indeed, deliberately opening someone else's mail (even if it was placed in your mailbox incorrectly) is a criminal offence in Australia.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Like no one's seen the inside of your box? BTW the back of it is open and as below, throw them back or reach around and put them into the next Box or for the right damn thing and put them into the big red post box out the front of the post office so that they can be redelivered correctly (in a week or so). Last option is cross out the address and add "RTS"

18. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen my Lotto cheque that I'm still waiting on?

money and datto like this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah. And I haven't seen a Nigerian scam letter in ages.......oh, wait a sec....this one's a little late lol....

[​IMG]

Antoni0 likes this.
  20. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I really like this, lol!

I usually get a big black marker pen and write across the letter 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS'.

money and datto like this.