Australia in Colour

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 5th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

One of the most thought provoking and uncomfortable documentaries I have watched, on SBS ... :(

2. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Would you care to elaborate? I have not seen this

3. balwoges

4. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

5. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Just been watching it - as a 12-year immigrant, I've still got plenty of Australian history to learn. The UK did well to stay out of Vietnam, though I wonder if Harold Wilson's Labour government was attacked at the time for failing to support the UK's allies.

Obviously turning a colour pic into mono is easy, but I'm still a bit mystified as to how the reverse is done?

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

More than you ever wanted to know:
    Film colorization - Wikipedia

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Tony the UK started the Vietnam war . Just smart enough to do it covertly and appear to not be involved.,. It started with a request for help from the Diem government in 1961, when the UK resettled malayan refugees and its allies from the malay conflict with their "Strategic Hamlet program" who they trained in warfare to repel viet cong . They draw up the war plans, trained the American and South Vietnamese soldiers. They fought under USA and ANZ flags as the UK was leading the Geneva convention . They supplied and transported napalm bombs.

8. random

random Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it so nothing to do with that but God l love SBS best channel in the country we need so much more of it.
    They've got an Aboriginal channel and shows and ads, world movies non stop not just the American garbage we're force fed from the others. Green energy and global warming ads pushing Australia to get of their bloody backsides about it they're bloody brilliant, saving our wildlife, so much stuff this country desperately needs to hear about the others haven't got the guts to even mention. Saw an ad on them the other day about Vic and our manufacturing and proudly showing all the things we make in Vic , even down to vineyards , which l think is also ran on the ABC. Which l love just about as much actually, as corny as it can be but at least they go out on limbs and talk about things the others won't.
    Hmm, hope this isn't zapped as an of topic .
    l would like to watch that though op when l get the chance, thanks.

9. geoffw

I enjoyed it, thanks for the heads up.

It was good to see some of the largely ignored story of Aboriginals, women and non European immigrants. Though, as is necessary in a documentary which has to draw of moving film clips, it didn't go into a great depth on any of those topics.

My dad had told me about women who worked through wwii when men were off fighting, and the subsequent push for women to work in the same professions when the war ended - and who weren't able to. My mother worked in the city council, and was forced to give up her job when she got married. A documentary could go into a lot more depth in this.

I did learn a lot about the stolen generations.

10. balwoges

Glad you took a look ...
    My introduction to what our Indiginous people had to put up with was when I went to the movies at Jarvis Bay aged about 17 [first holiday without parents] and saw their seating was roped off from where we were able to sit, I can still remember the feeling of bewilderment and amazement I felt at the time ... :(

geoffw likes this.
  11. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Are you Aboriginal?

12. geoffw

I'd say not, judging by the wording on the post

13. geoffw

I've just started reading Talking to My Country, by Stan Grant - so far, an excellent view of what it felt up to grow up as an Aboriginal/mixed race young person in Australia
    Talking To My Country by Stan Grant