Australia falls into per-capita recession

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by gman65, 6th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Deck

Deck Well-Known Member

Any "investment" that mostly pay off for thanks to tax/regulation/gov/pseudo-monopolies and add very little value, I would think most investment on existing dwellings could be included ;-)

2. Deck

Deck Well-Known Member

There is not much room to cut and I am not sure Banks would be able to pass much of it, if any (they could see their cost rising instead if AUD drop much/property crashes significantly, a pickle i would say)

Population growth is unlikely to go back to a more sustainable level, that should still stir demand up and put a floor under property IMO.

as exporter, I would LOVE a lower aud (under 0.5 in my wet dreams ;-) )

MTR likes this.
  3. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

As i expected, rates will likely go to zero for aus like other struggling developed economies.

Just watch how china goes, 25% tariffs from america avoided for now but the 10% in place is starting to crap their economy out already.

Chinese PMI gone negative past quarter which means demand for raw material from australia will be down a lot. We are just lucky that iron ore prices had a bump recently from second vale dam collapse in brazil.

Expect things to get worse this year, not much rba can do except drop rates to zero. Which wont help much if china is not buying.

4. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    [​IMG]
    State Final Demand December 2018

ollidrac nosaj, gman65 and Redom like this.
  5. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

As if anyone is going to take a lead from lil' ol' 'straya to globally co-ordinate a devaluing of currency markets.

our population base is less than one Chinese / Indian / USA city.

6. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I think they'll wait for more data on the employment outlook before jumping to any conclusions.

Although one can probably assume if you half the growth rate from your models, that employment growth will be significantly impacted by it. The data all seems to point to very soft growth data, but strong employment data at the moment. Perhaps the employment data is a reflection of the booming H12018 data. I would assume employers take time to adjust hiring/firing decisions to the economy, so there'd be a lag there & employers would likely be now responding to a pretty sharp slowdown in growth/consumption (booming H12018, slowing H22018).

7. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Only a policy level, liberals would love to make falling prices a big election agenda item but for that to happen prices will need to keep falling until election. If they could create some widespread panic around property prices, voters will think twice before voting labour in.

Someguy likes this.
  8. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

There's a massive lag.

Redom likes this.
  9. Aaron Sice

if growth is slowing, the last thing voters want to do is rock the boat with more taxes.

10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

The big issue in our 2 biggest cities is that house prices have doubled and since 2012 wage growth has all but disappeared .
    So everyone has stopped spending.
    Either you need to see big rises in wages or falling house prices or a little combination of both.
    At the same time some of the tax breaks need to be wound back or removed.
    It wont help people already in the game and no one is stopping you from investing , it just means some of the tax breaks will disappear.
    But it will help those that will be purchasing in the future, and it will give their more spending money. so at some stage the economy will pick up again, although that may be a years away.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  11. Aaron Sice

Perf' has already been waiting 4 years and is quite literally in the worst slump we've seen in living memory.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

No shortage either of owners trying to sell.
    Probably more than a few broken dreams of early retirement and just expecting houses to double every 10 years.

MTR and gman65 like this.
  13. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

A coordinated devaluation would originate in the US.

14. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Indeed, employment lags the business cycle, bigly. #covfefe

Let's Make Australia Great!

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

..... it will only get worse when Labor gets in

16. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Does that mean they risk being a one term government?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

17. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I think things are going to slide during the next year or two, no matter who is in government. If so, and if Labor win, they will be a one-term government - come the 2022 election no amount of arguing "it's down to what we inherited" will stick.

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's true but only really effecting some people. Some businesses are doing ok but others are doing it tough.

19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Although it does depend on whether they can hold it together for a full term and also what the opposition do. Right now the future opposition are looking to be in a shambles.

ollidrac nosaj and oracle like this.
  20. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    upload_2019-3-7_12-39-47.png

From an entirely vested interest point of view I like the Coalition because they will keep negative gearing and don't want to make any changes with capital gains taxes for housing. However, from a policy perspective they haven't been offering much to voters apart from scaremongering the public about higher taxes.

Considering real wage growth has been virtually non-existent for many years a lot of people feel that their living standards have stalled. Many others (low income earners) believe their living standards have deteriorated as non-discretionary purchases, such as electricity have risen strongly. Does anyone remember Abbott's rhetoric about how families would save $500 a year...LOL!

ollidrac nosaj likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.