Aussie Made

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by AndyPandy, 9th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Is there an app that tells you if a product is aussie made or not? Would be good if one could scan a barcode and the app would tell if the product is Australian manufactured or not. If not Australian made, it could suggest and Australian alternative.

Any programmers on here, this could be a good app to capitalise on the current national sentiment.

TAJ and skater like this.
  2. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Look for the Australian Made symbol most products would have this on them or have even seen “percentage of Australian ingredients” listed on food items

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think that's a great idea for anyone who has the smarts to do it.

4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I think the first 2 digits of a bar code define the country of origin/manufacture?

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, they don't. The numbers 93 at the start is what many are saying defines them as Aussie, but there's been multiple items with those numbers that are not Aussie.

I think an app is a great idea. It would save time for those that are specifically searching for Aussie made.

Anthony416 and TAJ like this.
  6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I only buy Australian from the supermarket, avoid made in China/S.America food, clothes are the problem - my favourite brands Country Road, Trenerry and Mimco made in Asian countries, not just China, as for shoes, most are made in China, Italian and Spanish shoes, the best [my preference] are hard to find in Newcastle :eek:
    My everyday clothes [round the house] are bought from KMart etc. i.e. China, think we would all have a problem finding clothing made elsewhere and we can hardly go starkers!
    As well, the material used to make the clothing would be made in China ... :D

7. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Kmart clothes are mostly made in Bangladesh.

It is so expensive to buy everything locally made though. We just bought a dining table made from recycled wood, it cost $4.5k plus 8 chairs costing $500 each. I'd go broke very quick at this rate. How to find a balance?

8. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Great idea, and profitable idea....not always the same thing

9. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Why would we want a local textile manufacturing industry if we can't do it cost-competitively? Doesn't that just slow down the process of investing in smart jobs and industries where we *can* compete? Do Aussies really aspire for more of our kids to work in factories?

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2020
  10. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Nice idea save that Australian made is not a binary. I study the tomato ketchup to try and buy Australian and since the demise of Dick Smith's, it's not so easy . I do try to buy IXL/SPC/Ardmona products though they're not always on the shelf. But then I drive a Japanese car, watch a Chinese TV and my annual cruise holiday is on a US-owned ship so a good chunk of my spending goes abroad.

11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It has been pretty well documented over the years, that many within the textile industry throughout Asia, work for 2 parts of nothing. No wonder clothes purchased from K Mart seem so cheap.
    Extremely hard to compete against, when labour costs are so disproportionate.

Perp likes this.
  12. willister

willister Well-Known Member

The world supply chain is so intertwined anyway. That Japanese car has a whole lot of Made in China parts, raw materials likely from Australia/South America/Russia built using Japanese machines and Chinese labour. Even if you dismantle a Japanese TV for example, that LED is likely made by a Korean firm who in turn uses a Japanese machine to produce the actual LED with raw materials from China, the PCB (motherboard), power supply and plastics are most likely from China.

TAJ and Perp like this.