Aussie Broadband

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Scaphella, 17th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

“You may or may not be aware that Aussie Broadband is shortly intending to list on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX).

As a thank you for being part of our family, we want to offer our customers the chance to participate in the listing by subscribing for shares in Aussie Broadband at $1.00 per share.

This is an unusual offer for a company to make, but it aligns with our value of being good to people. Offers to subscribe for shares in Aussie Broadband as part of the listing are also being made to our staff, and to institutional investors.

The offer of Aussie Broadband shares to our customers is capped at $10 million, with each application being for a minimum of 2,000 shares and a maximum of 10,000 shares.“

prospectus here: https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/forms/investors/aussiebroadband-prospectus.pdf

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2020
  2. Monopoly Man in Top Hat

Monopoly Man in Top Hat Well-Known Member

Interesting offer - the prospectus seems to assume a sudden and massive uptick in profit next year so I'd be curious to know the justification for that.

Scaphella likes this.
  3. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

It's a smart way to get customers to refer a friend!

I love Aussie Broadband, they've been a fantastic provider for me. I run servers etc. and did a lot of research on the internet providers. AB was the most reliable I could find and in the 4 years I've been with them they've been great ....

...I won't invest in them though. Doesn't fit my strategy. But for people more speculative than I it is a good company (providing service - the financials DYOR) that might be worth a look.

Silverson likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's a great way to bake-in customer loyalty and reduce churn - most mom-and-dad investors are less likely to leave if they hold shares in the company.

I haven't looked at the business or their financials, but as a general opinion - I'd tend to be very cautious of the telco space, especially for smaller players who are largely just resellers and don't own their own infrastructure - there's too much opportunity for disruption (eg 5G / satellite / etc). I'm not sure if Aussie Broadband falls into this category or not.

charttv likes this.
  5. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

As a customer, my concern is that shareholders will drive the business the way of internode/iinet/TPG etc. in the search for short term profits (e.g. lower CVC per person, offshoring support).

6. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

They don't fall into that category. They have their own infrastructure and to my knowledge don't lease it out to other companies which is how they maintain their reliability.

That's my worry too....I don't know how they'll position themselves in the market. At the moment they are kind of a premium service - mid range cost offering. To me that's perfect. Will they go premium service and cost? Or go the way of iinet etc. I used to love iinet in the early days but it went so wrong.

7. Simon Hampel

That's a good point - when you have lots of shareholders - your goal becomes increasing profits. If you can't do that by growing the business - then you have to cut costs - and the best way to cut costs for an ISP is to take shortcuts on support and squeeze as much out of your infrastructure as possible.

Hopefully they are able to maintain a balance between performance and profits - it would be a shame to see another great broadband company lose their way.

Stoffo and charttv like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

How reliant on the NBN are they though? If the NBN got privatised or became a plaything for the big-3 ... how would the mid-range players like AB suffer?

What other spaces are they playing in? They wouldn't have a 5G play like TPG/Voda do, nor would they have a satellite play like the big multinational players.

Is their revenue primarily NBN based broadband?

charttv likes this.
  9. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

All very good questions for potential investors - hence why I only do broad index funds now. Too many unknowns.

10. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

That was my concern when I saw the share offer. I'm tech stupid and I'm very grateful for a few internet for dummies troubleshooting conversations with an aussie.

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Then if Elon's satellite internet takes off...........

12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I got this email from them last week and thinking of buying $2k worth. Not a huge risk if it starts going south.

13. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

They are a great company but there is already to much competition so wont be buying.