VIC Aurora Epping/Wollert

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Air_Bender, 9th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone's heard about this development up in the Northern suburbs? The next stage of land release is happening soon and I'm just wondering if this is a potential growth area.

I went for a drive the other day and checked out the area and I must say I was very impressed. The houses and parks there are beautiful.

Anywho I would love to get some feedback from anyone who knows/lives in the area.

Cheers

2. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Hi Air Bender,
    Hope you are well? This is another estate being built up in the area.
    If you are looking at living in the area then I would say good choice. As a investment different story. There is so much land being released that its not even funny. I would expected limited capital growth in the area.

3. Air_Bender

Thanks for getting back to me Johann. Yes, I am looking for a First home purchase, to live in.

You are correct. They are releasing more land, (this week actually) just a little over to the north in Wollert. However, I wasn't too impressed with the specific area of the land being released. It's the area that's farther north and closer to the Craigieburn East Rd. So there will be a vast amount of undeveloped land between the Aurora Epping estate and this new estate which I just think is silly. I was thinking about biting the bullet and grabbing some of this new land, (with lots that are quite sizable and affordable mind you) just to get into the market but the more I think about it now the more doubts I'm having.

Last Friday I went to see the 2 major developers situated in this estate and asked if the land closer to the existing estate would be released soon. The first one said it'll be a number of years before that happens and the 2nd developer said early to mid next year. I've attached a map and highlighted in yellow the specific area I am referring to. The area I've marked in yellow is not being released but the vast area just under it (just where those eagle wings start) is being released. Correct me if I'm wrong but won't that look really weird? Having a vast empty land situated between two estates?

Irregardless though this new area is beautiful. Compared to some of the other estates I've visited the Aurora estate has to be one of my favourites. It's already quite populated and I can see why. There's a new towncentre going up as well as a coles store. There's also a rumor that the new Epping Costo will be built somewhere just to the east of the estate.

For the time being I'll wait but I'm keeping my fingers crossed the land I want will be released sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Attached Files:

4. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Good luck with that as well :)... let us know how you go..
    The area has new shops being built and yes you are right a new town center.

When you get a chance head down to Caroline Springs in Melbourne. I think there development model is the same as what you are looking at :)

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

IMHO - No.

As your own home, the growth should not be a priority in any case, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

As an investment
    - too far from transport
    - only one or two (sort of) major road out (Pt Cook Syndrome)
    - lot of land around it yet to be developed (land banked by major developers).

The Y-man

Cactus likes this.
  6. Air_Bender

Will do JP.

That's why I am interested in that particular patch of land. It'll be closer to the new towncentre and to the existing estate in general.

Cheers

7. Air_Bender

I agree with your points Y-man. It is too far from transport and there aren't enough roads leading in or out of the estate. I can see why the area wouldn't suit potential investors but it wouldn't be too much of an issue for me as I work in Epping. It would literally take me 5 minutes to get to work.

I'm kicking myself I missed out on the earlier Lots and I'm certain the new towncentre and coles being built will only increase the value of the houses in the area. I have approached a couple of RE agents to see if anyone's selling in the area. Doubtful but you never know.

Cheers

8. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Hi Air_Bender
    Do you know the price difference between the earlier lots you missed compared to the new estate.

Cactus likes this.
  9. Air_Bender

Hi ross100,

I'm not 100% sure what the earlier lots were sold for but I can only assume they were similar in price to these new lots? (maybe even cheaper since they were all sold ages ago). The new lots are quite affordable (in my opinion). I've got the brochures from the developers at home but I'm pretty sure I saw lots like a 532m2 one going for around 230k, maybe slightly more. I'll get back to you when I have a look at the brochure tonight so don't quote me on this.

To my recollection the lots being sold by Eden Gardens were slightly cheaper than Aurora (Lend Lease). Also, Eden Garden's lots are closer to the my desired area (refer to me earlier rant about this) and I was seriously considering going with them.

Cheers

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another beef about the are - small lot sizes in these new fangled subdivisions. Another reason why it will struggle on the CG front.

The Y-man

11. Air_Bender

Fair enough Y-man. But if anyone is interested I have attached a cutout of the price guide from the stage 2 Lots (Lend Lease).

I seem to have misplaced the Eden Garden's brochure so won't be able to show you the comparison.

Cheers

Attached Files:

12. Siritrading

Siritrading New Member

Hi I need some advice . I am thinking to buy a lot in the coming release (15th).land Registration to happen in 2017 Jan and hold it for a year or 2 and sell it(No plans of building).Lot is 255 m2 and for 156k.Would there be any appreciation for the land in the next 2 years or so.

13. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

No

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2017
    MikeyBallarat likes this.
  14. Siritrading

Siritrading New Member

Thank you.

15. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I visited aurora when it opened 10 years ago. It was expensive, $250-300k for h&l. It's was a nice design and lots of established trees kept, bike paths parks etc.

Beveridge, Wallan, there's a lot of land out that way, Having a little bare patch between a couple of estates is neither here nor there.

16. Siritrading

Siritrading New Member

Fair Enough Tobe! .I have recommended the first release( July 2015) to my friend and they went and bought it and quite happy with the hike now.i got little cash 20k and want it to put it somewhere before i spend it all.Can you suggest me some new estates.Currently No Equity for me as i spend over on my Construction in sydney. So I am stuck.

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2017
  17. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Offset in the Sydney loan? Regional established properties? Shares? Deposit on land is good, as there is no loan repayments and it may grow in value waiting for titles. It's bad because there is no rent and no loan to claim negative gearing, and it's the first to be affected by any market downturn/change in sentiment.

18. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm a home loan broker. For much of my career I worked for volume builders in Melbourne doing construction loans.
    I have a couple of investment properties but have never built or invested in new home areas, so I guess I'm speaking from 2nd or 3rd hand experience.

19. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Mate, RE is not gambling. 20k to play with land / houses? It is a risky game. Better a saving account. Reasons: 1) land maybe will not grow as per the past 2 years 2) not able to resell - contract conditions 3) Able to resell but not finding anyway - so much land out there. Having said that, someone made money on this strategy - buying land and selling close to settlement date.

20. Manueel

Manueel New Member

Hi there,

Any idea that Aurora has Successfully reseled any stage yet, They r releasing stage 15 tommrow. I cant find any info regarding previous released.