Technology & Social Media Audible

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Terry_w, 10th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Anyone out there use Audible?

I signed up for a 3 month free trial and it is going great. You can get one audiobook per month to keep, but I found out you can listen to it and return the book at get another one, so I have 'read' or listened to about 6 books this year so far.

The app is very easy to use on the phone and you can download the books via wifi and listen anywhere - while driving for example.

I plan to keep going after the free trial expires and I think it costs $16.50 per month AUD.

Redwing likes this.
  2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I love it. I listen to audible around 20-40 hours a week depending on what I'm doing. Even better when I have the ebook too and they sync over Amazon so can switch seamlessly between the two.

Was just sitting on the front deck watching a storm roll in and listening to my audio book.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

I use Blinkist. These are 15 minute snapshots of non fiction books. It gives dozens of great ideas on life, business, history science etc. I very much enjoy knowing what every book is about and then choosing the full book if it attracts a greater interest.

4. Terry_w

I have blinkist too and think that is great also. I like to listen to 15min summaries of books that I wouldn't have the patience to listen to an 8 hour book.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've been a subscriber for about 8 years. I've got a USA subscription, which gives me 24 books a year. Between my wife and I we get through this very easily and often resubcribe early. There's a few hundred books in my library, some have been listened too several times.

One thing I really like is that if you don't like a book, you can return it and get a credit for another book very easily. I've only done this a few times, but I imagine if you abused this, you'd have some issues.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I find Audible books great for long drives - I had to do a few over a short space of time last year, and I find the worst thing is the boredom. A book keeps my mind occupied.

I'm on a budget. I get emails about daily specials of kindle books from Amazon and Bookbub, (of varying quality) and I end up getting about one every week or so. Some of these books have audible narration attached, which I can purchase far more cheaply than I could purchase from Audible. So I bought a Bill Bryson book in December for $4.99, and I can add the audio for $3.99. It coordinates between the Audible narration and the text, so if I want to finish a passage after I finish driving, I can read it from where it stopped off, and have it start at the new spot on my next drive.

Terry_w and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  7. Terry_w

Anyone tried scribd?
    Supposed to be better than Audible and cheaper too.

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

My wife now borrows a lot of audio books from the library. By 'borrow', I means she has an app and downloads them, similar to Audible. The range is limited but caters more to her tastes than mine.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Threaten to leave or cancel your subscription, you receive some good deals such as 50% off your membership fees for three months.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Bought the actual book 'Banking Bad' and so far it's a pretty good read.

Audibles offered a $1 membership to come back.

11. Terry_w

I have been on scribd since my initial free audible expired. I think it is much better than audible, though some books on audible are not available on scribd and vice versa.

but since I stopped audible they have been constantly sending me offers to tempt me back - 1 free book, one free month, $1 for one month etc. So far I have resisted because there are so many books on scribd on my to read list that I can't keep up.