Auction or Private Sale

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ben John1, 17th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

2. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Thanks @The Y-man for the wisdom. finance and s32 all good. In suburbs where I am looking, competition mainly from overseas buyers who most likely are not affected by what’s happening here. So, when I spot a potential IP passed in and within my budget, I try to snatch it. I will keep remembering the strategy you share :)

3. Ben John1

Hi all, just an update.

The property is now back again in the market with price listed 100k more than the highest offer on auction.

Not sure, who will buy that property, but with most potential buyers are from overseas it may happen.

I guess putting the house on auction was the wrong move from the Vendor.

4. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

What suburb? Box Hill?

5. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

You always pay what the seller wants otherwise there wouldn't be a sale.
    And you won't get your first purchase perfect.............

housechopper2 likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

None of this matters. Dont waste your time with overpriced properties, unless its waiting for them to come to there senses.

Ben John1 likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

This is completely dependent on what the pass in price was.
    Advertsing for $100k more if the pass in price was $2.3m is a very different thing from if the pass in was at $400k......

I'd say advertising at 10%~20% higher than pass in is expected. Remember it becomes the high watermark from which buyers negotiate down. Negotiating 10% would be pretty run of the mill.

The Y-man

Ben John1 likes this.
  8. Ben John1

Thank you @The Y-man It was below $1m mark.

Prior coming to auction, I've checked the RP, bank valuation, onthehouse etc, and the auction highest bid actually way beyond what was estimated.

I am just reflecting and learning from this event, let say if I was the highest bidder during the action and got the opportunity to negotiate with the Vendor, I may be able to secure the house at better price rather than negotiating down from $100k mark up they've set up now. Hence the reason I ask the question at the first place.

It seems I'll skip this property as no way I'll be paying 100k more from the highest auction bid. I've already communicated my best offer to the REA and the ball is on their court now. Probably they'll get an overseas buyer who did not know about the auction and have no concern about money & value.

Btw has anyone ever got a bargain buying at auction?

9. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Yes

10. Trainee

In a crappy market, where few bidders turn up, for a buyer who knows the value, with a seller under pressure.

Its the wrong question. You can overpay or underpay for an auction, private sell, or whatever. If your new you dont understand the things that create a bargain.

Someone has, but you probably wont.

Ben John1 likes this.
  11. Trainee

One day when your a seller you will look at this differently. Make your offer and move on.

housechopper2 likes this.