"Auction Basturds"

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MTR, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Got an email this morning and loved this one.

One way to try to shoot your competition is to throw out a littler pearler like

“Can you confirm that this property contains no deadly asbestos?” This may likely scare off some competition.

Would not work with me as I am only interested in the land, I have owned plenty of properties containing asbestos.

MTR:)

Xenia, S.T, Kael and 1 other person like this.
  2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I thought about hiring a gang of homeless people to camp outside the house overnight and during the auction day to scare people off lol. I would pay for their services and make sure they had enough wine boxes so they could leave a mess in the front yard (I would use another name but this is a public forum... I didn't go ahead with it although it would be funny and even funnier if they bidded.

Barny and Arnel like this.
  3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

If you lived in the street just tape up your house with police tape and draw some chalk outlines on your driveway. Just like in the movie Step Brothers

Barny, S.T, Esh and 2 others like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

My favorite tactics are:

1. Low ball from the start..if they don't take it...just cross you arms.

2. When it is moving...start bring down the speed from 10k ...to 1k...to $500...$250...

3. If you get them to $250 bids it will get very frustrating...people will offer 5k more just come back with $250...it may not always get taken...but it will frustrate people...

4. If the real estate people are in your face...look at the sky and ask what something imaginary is?? Works brilliantly...

5. Ask the auctioneer if the property is on the market yet?

CU@THETOP, MTR and S.T like this.
  5. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Haha,

DEA notice on fence. Saw this used before... But was actually real... People rocking up in cars and driving by slowly haha

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Brilliant.
    I remember asking if the house was on the market, not once but about 3 times and the auctioneer completely ignored me every time... what a basturd, did you get ignored???

Xenia likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Could you employ a group of bikies in the mix, nice neighbourhood... NOT:eek:

Arnel likes this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

What's a DEA notice?

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Drug Enforcement Agency???

Arnel likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Walk up to him and get in his face and ask....he/she will feel most uncomfortable...

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Oh no, I can't do that, very aggressive, but if it works then we'll done.

12. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

If the auctioneer doesn't take your bid pipe up with 'Mr/Ms Auctioneer are you refusing to accept my bid?' (taught to me by an agent).

13. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The best comeback line I saw an auctioneer use mid-auction to someone who asked that same question was: "Madam the property has been on the market for the last 4 weeks". Brilliant.

Kael, Harro and JenW like this.
  14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

First time bidder a few months ago, lucky enough to win. Opened with a bid ending in 80k to try to force 10/20k increments. Went up in 10s and then 5s, other bidders slowed to 1s but I kept rounding up to 5s.

At the end I was fighting a basturd who chose to stand directly behind me. Turned around and just stared at him as I didn't feel like moving from my spot, that shut him up good :)

15. Cruskits

Cruskits Well-Known Member

I was at an auction recently were someone has done something similar to this just before bidding started.

I had a bit of a chuckle to myself. He put in the second or third bid then nothing else. It ended up selling for a great price to someone else. I wondered why he was throwing out some comments then didn't follow through with a purchase.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Cos he read this post on SS/PC hehe was prepared, but you were smarter

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

LOL! I've been known to do that. Not as low as $250, but in increments of $500. Hubby prefers to try to knock the competition out of the market with a high bid.

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The look on the autioneers face was priceless

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Years ago, I was bidding on one. There were only two of us bidding. They'd say a number & I'd immediately add "and a half". It went on forever............and I didn't end up getting it despite it's amazingly low price because I hadn't planned on buying something that day, I'd just stumbled across it. Here I was desperately trying to slow it down while calling Rolf. I couldn't get hold of him, so sadly had to let the place go. :(

Back then I didn't have oodles of equity sitting around, and was careful to not go over what I knew I could spend without talking to Rolf.

Westminster and chylld like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Another way, would be try to secure prior to auction, just don't go there is possible.

I think with auction rates falling in major capital cities this would work

Xenia likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia