ATO updates online services for SMSF members

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Nodrog, 25th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

ATO updates online services for SMSF members - SMSF Adviser

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Anyone know if you can now use the myGov/ATO transfer Super function to a SMSF yet? I tried a couple of years ago to transfer from a normal super to my SMSF using the function and it gave no errors but it never transferred. When I rang them up they said the feature couldn't be used for a SMSF and you have to use the old fashioned paper transfer system

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Counts me out as I don't have a myGov account.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well why don’t you create one?

I quite like it as I can check on SMSF / tax / Medicare etc. Mind you where you are at with Super etc it probably doesn’t matter.

I also use it to update our personal details.

Think of the thrill and experience you could gain in stimulating the grey matter:).

5. SatayKing

Good question. In the end I decided not to have an account as I didn't need one nor did I care about having one.

As for my grey matter it was stimulated working out where the best spot was this evening to observe the International Space Station. That thing moves!

Nodrog likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I had one and then had to delete it so I could go back on the old fashioned paper service from the ATO :)

Well to be exact. I had to delete the link to the ATO

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I know the feeling well of being lost in space:).

SatayKing likes this.
  8. SatayKing

I suppose some find it very useful to have access to various websites.

For me I prefer to keep things simple and uncomplicated. If it doesn't add or enhance to my approach I'm not interested in establishing an account. I couldn't care less about the other party's claims of improving efficiency to me. I'll decide what is useful for me.

My interaction with the ATO is now once a year through the accounting firm I use which also provides me an opportunity to discuss a number of aspects associated with financial issues.

As for the Medicare aspect I don't even bother. It has my bank details for any refund due and that is all I require from that provider. I don't even care about getting an invoice from the health provider as I highly doubt I'll ever be in a position to qualify for any out-of-pocket expenses tax rebate.

I know it can seem I'm a stick in the mud but I just don't see any need to complicate my life through creating accounts when I'm not the slightest bit interested in doing so.

He he. I've been involved in a number of discussions with others of my age about these issues and the statement is sometimes raised "But everybody does it...." Fine but that doesn't mean I have to follow the herd if I don't wish to. So much group think around now it's almost a worry.

Islay likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I hate using the MyGov interface too. I can never remember how to log in.

10. SatayKing

I've no need to remember how to log in to it. The less I know the better I feel.

11. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Agree with you @SatayKing. Medicare have our bank account numbers for direct refunds and I have no interest in dealing with the ATO. We have trusted accountants we have used for many years and that is their job. If in the unlikely event I do want to know something the accountant is a quick phone call or email away.