At 40 and no home

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Liarliar, 23rd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's one day having dinner out and movies for a family of 5.
    that's a weekly thing for us.

Not everyone makes owning property a priority and not everyone has to.

Everyone has a different financial position, some own properties, some own other assets, people earn different amounts in jobs, they paying varying amounts in rent or mortgage repayments, invest in different things, spend money on different things, have various forms of saving or nothing at all.

The one thing that is clear is no ones financial position is anyone else's business. You don't need to justify yours or understand someone else's motive because it has nothing to do with you.

Gypsyblood, Toon, lowIQ and 1 other person like this.
  2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yeh I know. I was just commenting on my life. I don't 'care' about anyone else's financial situation - just commenting on how stingy I am, not wanting to pay $45 (let alone $250).

I know how easy it is to spend $250 these days.

But in terms of the OP, I'm sure you're not in the same boat complaining you don't have a house at 40..

Bayview and Xenia like this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

we all agree on that I think.

It only becomes an issue for some here when the have-nots are whinging that they are the have-nots, but haven't made a decent fist of doing what is required to become one of the haves.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes, if you look at the start of the thread, I agree, whining and complaining is of no use, but at the same time, I acknowledge that there are legions of people who do not complain, they do it tough and have no real choice but to keep doing this.

I too think it is better to try and do something, but as I mature, I am also able to understand that many have no choices and it is through no fault of their own, a small % in the wrong environment can break out while young, but they are exception, not the rule....

So just think there are many things to consider, and abuse of people is just that, no matter what we do or think, clearly I think pay for low paid workers should not be eroded further & that is probably never going to be a bad position to take. It may even help some to break out and be more like yourself.

Toon, Tom Simpson and Bayview like this.
  5. babyboomer1

babyboomer1 Well-Known Member

I think its great that someone is 40 single and no house at least i will have someone to rent my investment property returning me dollars in the bank

Pentanol, Angel, Gladys and 3 others like this.
  6. Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson Well-Known Member

There are plenty of reasons to be later in life and without a house. Failed businesses, failed investments, failed marriages resulting in fire sale of assets.

It doesn't mean these people haven't tried hard, sometimes life happens.

Foxy Moron, Angel and Skilled_Migrant like this.
  7. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

That's great. Shouldn't judge other people's choices though. A family friend worth hundreds of millions at 71 always very frugal carced it last month. I think he had over 30 IPs at least, across Hk, London, Auckland, NY, Sydney. Doesn't mater when you carc it though.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Really ?

I thought you got some sort of gold pass.........geez, now I am having to re think the world :)

Sea Eagles88 likes this.
  9. big max

big max Well-Known Member

True. But is very unlikely anyone with discipline and foresight would be in such a position.

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

How about divorce with a spiteful ex-spouse?

Bayview likes this.
  11. Bayview

Indeed true..two years ago almost to the day, we had to sell our PPoR due to a failing business, and go and rent....I was 54 (still renting by the way, but for a good reason...)

The difference is; the 44 year old bloke and the 29 year old chick in the OP story were whiners about others having a house, were making excuses; but hadn't curtailed their lifestyle;

"He is 44 and single and still rent / shares with 3 other guys.....
    He got jealous and said to me I should be lucky that I own several properties and he still has to Rent.....
    No; instead he went to Phuket , Bali , he went to the gym and tanning studios and he went to the USA and he had the best clothes"

"same with my other work colleague, although she's younger at 29 but married and no PPOR......
    with the 29yo lady she is married and I felt sorry for her still renting , until she told me her and her husband had spent over $250 at a Darling Harbour Restaurant the previous Saturday before !......
    She can't understand despite them both working earning combined 150k a year why they can't save a deposit , she's blaming foreign investors !"

My wife and I; on the other hand....in the following 2 years since that forced sale; have gone on to buy another PPoR site, and also invested in a Holiday Apartment Hotel project with two other couples, over in Ubud, Bali (see my Ubud Development thread here; Ubud development)

Am I bragging? you bet your @rse! :p...hopefully all you lot will book in for a stay at the place!! Mates rates, of course!! ;)

But seriously; it's the mindset and attitude which is the core of this thread......we can all sit here and feel sorry for folks who are well into adult life and still not homeowners; but in Aus; the reality is that if you are 30 or older and have never bought a house, and are whinging about it; this means that your desire to own one is there (if you had no desire then you wouldn't be whinging about it) - and for the vast majority of these adults - not all - it's their own fault.

Last edited: 27th Jun, 2017
    Pentanol and Gladys like this.
  12. Bayview

And; these people are not usually the ones who are whining about others who have properties or who were "lucky" to be able to buy a property/s.

Angel likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They've loved and lost. :(

Bayview likes this.
  14. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Living overseas has given me a view outside the Australia fishbowl. It blows me away how indulgent, pampered and generally spoilt Australians living in Oz are. The expectations are so high. And people are spending money on things that are just not important but have allowed themselves to think they are. Obviously that are a lot of people NOT like this, but there are just as many who are in my opinion.

My brother recently had to break up with his girlfriend because she told him, right to his face and without any hint of malice, that she deserves half his house (that he owns through saving and not doing things he could have). She said because she's a woman and has been "disadvantaged" socially and in the workplace, that my brother should accept this. She's basically asking for reparations in the form of half his house!

He pointed out to her that as a good-looking white woman with a very well paying job, she has had just as much chance to save as he has. More so considering the fact she grew up in a very comfortable middle class family. Within a few weeks they had broken up. Luckily they hadn't been living together for two years. He dodged a massive bullet.

That's not to say there aren't disadvantage people in Australia. There are many. I just don't think identity politics should identify them. It's a lot more complicated than that.

15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@The Gambler , it sounds like your gambling habit is also shared by your brother, given your post above...