ASX200 (XJO) 7000 here I come....

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by oracle, 30th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

This forum is good for my vocabulary, had to look up the meaning of that one:confused:.

When the @The Falcon posted more often I got to add around one new word a week to my vocabulary:).

pippen likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I tried but @SatayKing keeps soaking up all the liquidity. Will you stop tempting me as my previous attempt at simplification is already unravelling fast:oops:.

AUI is without a doubt a very well run, shareholder friendly LIC with an extraordinary dividend history.

Ok now that you reminded me of it and my foolishness of selling it not one but twice in my lifetime I’m going to stand in the corner and not leave it till I finish reciting “though stall not sell” 1,000 times:(.

Thank you @oracle, NOT:p.

Ynot, Pleep and oracle like this.
  3. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Goodness me, they're some serious numbers right there! Bloody impressive and to be honest pretty inspirational!

love seeing real world numbers, makes everything feel real!

Redwing and pippen like this.
  4. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

If you like numbers that much i just spent $50 bucks at woolies and then chucked $30 petrol in the car using the 4c discount coupon! :cool:

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don’t get to do this every week or two and I went overboard accumulating cash over the last couple of years:(. Got too conservative, blame reading too much about SORR etc. In hindsight I shouldn’t have posted the amounts involved but uncharacteristically did so to highlight to @Big Al that although I’m being cautious I’m not taking an all or nothing approach sitting on the sidelines hoping for a major correction. His cash stockpile probably makes ours look small:eek:.

Also I may go for months without buying anything until I see something that catches my attention. But I never go more than roughly six months or so without accumulating something.

It wasn’t until we were in our 40’s when we started saving much more seriously and began divesting our investment properties to where our share portfolio initially got over six figures. It just took off from there. Once a critical mass is achieved it takes on a life of its own.

Ynot, sharon, number 5 and 11 others like this.
  6. Silverson

Incredible! Critical mass, i take is seven figures? The last few months I've been battling with myself to be honest as it seems like this is all taking forever,sacrificing much for what seems like little(at present).
    Really is true, the toughest part really is the man in the mirror at times.

Mws and Nodrog like this.
  7. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

Try one of these:

Attached Files:

ChrisP73, dunno and Nodrog like this.
  8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

@Nodrog is just warming up there. Wait until the tsunami Elliot wave comes then @Nodrog will start doing some serious buying.

Don’t be surprised to see few more zeros appended to the end of above numbers ;)

Cheers
    Oracle

Snowball likes this.
  9. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Just run your own race peoples! Some veterans here have been at it for decades! Just buy what you can manage and let compounding so its thing!

number 5, Hodor, Greedo and 7 others like this.
  10. Silverson

Just doing some star gazing mate don’t interrupt!!

Nodrog and pippen like this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

You are prone to severe exaggeration:p.

@dunno ‘s influence may have our cupboard bare before Elliot arrives:eek:.

ChrisP73 and Silverson like this.
  12. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Elliot can arrive whenever it decides and no one knows when. But the income from shares purchased now will keep arriving in the bank accounts without fail year after year :D

Best to wait for that moment than Mr Elliot.

Cheers
    Oracle

number 5, Burgs, Nodrog and 3 others like this.
  13. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Spot on

Size is just a function of time multiplied by investment efficiency and savings rate.

You can work on your personal savings rate in the present.

You can work on investment efficiency in the present. (low cost, broad diversification and getting your money to work promptly.)

Nothing you can do about time and you certainly don’t want to wish time away.

Forget about other people’s numbers – run your own race. Concentrate on what you can control now. TIME WILL PASS, COMPOUNDING WILL HAPPEN. One day you too can be a big swinging old fart, at which point you would probably swap it for being young and healthy again….. irony of life.

Ynot, Mooser, marty998 and 19 others like this.
  14. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Gold! Easily post of the month!

sharon, number 5, mdk and 5 others like this.
  15. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Thanks @Nodrog , I appreciate you sharing some of the personal numbers to demonstrate the points we are discussing.
    To be honest I am getting a little impatient and keep contemplating about starting to put some of the surplus funds back into the market. But I feel like I should stick to my guns and actually follow Mr Strakers advice and wait it out a little longer. The numbers you have put back in recently are nothing to sneeze at and shows you practice what you preach.

Majority of the cash I am holding now came out of the equities portfolio over the last few months. Most of it was part of the plan in getting it out of a few of the active funds. Then I took some out of the funds that I plan on holding onto. I feel silly now though going back in considering I took some of that capital out only recently and the market hasn't really changed. Then I would be admitting that I made a mistake taking some cash out to begin with. I was hesitant to do it in the first place but decided to give the market timing thing a go. This would be the first attempt at it in my 3.5 year long equities investing career and its not something I plan on doing again. Its a lesson of sorts.

I am still of the belief that the market should not be where it is at the moment but have a feeling that this might be the new normal in a low interest , lower return environment. When I do go back in I will probably allocate the bulk of surplus to VAS as most of the active funds I removed where is Aus. Then also open a position in VGS for the international exposure. Just going to focus on those two for a while.

sharon, Burgs and Nodrog like this.
  16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Now there is seemingly worry, regret and doubt leading to vacillation.

Been there many times. Not the best place to be.

Nodrog and Big A like this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Actually I’m finding it’s quite liberating to start getting the excess cash in the market. That way one has no choice but to forget about it until the next round of cash arrives. Whilst there’s cash accumulated on the sidelines there’s a tendency to be a bit on edge watching / waiting for opportunities.

Thank you in particular to @dunno, @SatayKing and others. We’re never too old to keep learning. Behaviour factors have been a struggle for me but I keep getting better. Big difference between talking the talk vs walking the talk. As Thornhill has said in the past “do as I say, not as I do”:rolleyes:.

Last edited: 9th Sep, 2019
    number 5, mdk, DoggaPP and 4 others like this.
  18. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Agree with what @Nodrog said above. It’s frustrating sitting on the sideline tossing over should I go in now / no wait it out.
    Look it’s not causing me serious worry but I hate being indecisive. Plus I’m getting itchy to buy something. As with many of us on here, I like to buy stuff regularly. Some retail therapy is overdue and preferably I want to be buying shares.

Nodrog likes this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he. Actually I never thought I’d say this but I’m looking forward to being 60 in January. Tax free Super for a start:). But more importantly having retired around 40 I got tired of answering the usual questions one gets when retiring early. You get made to feel guilty for doing so.

Ynot, Bunbury, Brumbie and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes now we demand more from @dunno. Nothing like the number of my posts of course as mine are quantity whilst his are quality:).

Last edited: 9th Sep, 2019