ASX200 index 100% allocation in super, with minimal fees

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by BPhil, 31st Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BPhil

BPhil Well-Known Member

Has anyone figured out which funds allow cheap implementation of this allocation?

I have read a lot of opinions on other sites but is hard to sift signal out from noise. I have seen funds purporting to offer simple indexing but there is usually some limitation eg:
    - Not going 100% into shares, instead having a large cash/fixed interest allocation (eg Hostplus balanced index does this... their other options are not so cheap)
    - Deviations from the index "in line with our risk management strategy" - wtf??
    - Dodgy derivative structure which allows low fees to be reported and concomitant lagging of the index despite being advertised as pure index.
    - None of the above but needlessly high fees (eg 0.5% strapped onto the top of the underlying ICR of the index for doing nothing...)

Companies I've been looking at include Hostplus, SunSuper and Australian Super. Am currently with UniSuper but realised recently their fees are not as low as I thought.

Any insights? What did y'all that have done your due diligence go with?

2. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

For precisely above reasons I moved to SMSF using eSuperfund and 100% of my super money is invested in shares. Only two efts VAS and IVV.

I have full control over what I buy, how much I buy it for and most importantly how much I pay for ongoing fees.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Redwing and monk like this.
  3. BPhil

BPhil Well-Known Member

Great can I become a member of your fund? ><

What's your annual cost with esuperfund? At what balance would you recommend going the SMSF route? Economy of scale I suppose if the fund covers you and the spousal unit?

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

You can do this with Sunsuper pretty easily with the Australian Index option. I believe Vanguard is the underlying provider so you get the asx300 - hopefully not too much of a drama. You pay a lower fee than Wholesale or ETF due to ?insto discount

Investment fees | Members | Sunsuper

Can't see a cheaper way to do it, if that's what you want to do.

Redwing, ChrisP73 and BPhil like this.
  5. b0b555

b0b555 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 31st Aug, 2019
    BPhil likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Despite it’s benefits at times I dislike our SMSF. With age the desire for simplicity increases. Importantly not just for me (the investor) but more importantly for my wife (hates investing). The rules have gotten too bloody complicated. A simple Industry Super Fund option removes that stress.

In the case of a SMSF what seems simple for the “investor” might be hell for one’s beneficiaries!

Islay likes this.
  7. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I agree. However often when I try and explain to someone how complicated and difficult the rules have become they finish up talking over the top of me and telling me how easy and cheap it is to do now days. I wonder in 20+ years time if they will still think it was such a great idea. Having said all that back when you and I would have started our SMSF there was little alternative. For us there was no viable alternative at all. Today we would join a Industry super fund

Nodrog likes this.
  8. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking about this. The twist is as I'm single my definition of beneficiaries is slightly different.

BDBN made out 100% to Estate with superanuation death benefits as sub-trust in my Will.

So for some it may not only be selecting a particular fund but also considering the totality. Only my thoughts.

9. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

This might be helpful.

Australian Super Fees

I was after mix of Aus and Int shares and found sunsuper to be a good choice if you want index performance.

Nodrog likes this.
  10. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

+1 for sunsuper with share index investment options