ASX Through The Floor

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Coota9, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Thanks, will get my online access this week hopefully (mailed in application forms and cheques last week).

And totally agree, especially at the current time... will ostrich it out

2. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Why is this big fuss about China’s GDP?

China’s GDP is forecasted to grow by 6.8% this year. 6.3% next year. This is still damn good growth.

After all China’s GDP is about 13.5% of the global economy. EU is about 24%. US is about 22.5%. So even if China slows down, the rest of the economy should be enough for companies to grow.

To me, the current tumble seems a little over-reaction. May be it is a correction. I would say, time to diverse :)

3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

charttv and Rusty12 like this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

See, what is the difference between a managed fund and an EFT, and I've also heard of a LIC? What's that?

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Fwiw I have no idea but I did use commsec a few years back to sell some employee shares that I was salary sacrificing. Very easy to use.
    One thing with shares is that I've been told don't use a broker, your paying then click the mouse! If I had cash to splash id be looking at charts and some rough googling for blue chip stocks, and pick a few and set and forget for a few years.

The next few weeks could be the time to buy but having no idea wouldn't be a wisemove to dive in. Put aside some "play money"

6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I learned enough about shares and options trading (through reading books, running simulations etc) to know that I don't know enough about shares and options trading :)

Hence managed funds for me!

freyja likes this.
  7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Very broadly and quickly ;

- Managed Fund. Unlisted unit trust. Capital gains paid out each year. Active management. (except Vanguard has some unlisted index funds). Higher fee basis.

- ETF (Exchanged Traded Fund). Most are passive, index weighted. Low fees. Capital gains not paid out (better to manage your tax position) except for rebalancing turnover.
    https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/exchange-traded-funds-etfs.288/

- LIC (Listed Investment Company) A LIC is a pooled investment vehicle, in the form of a company, the stock of which can be bought and sold on the ASX. The Company holds a basket of stocks, and will also have a varying amount of cash on hand. This is the company’s tangible assets. Its investment managers make assessments about which stock to add to the basket, and which to sell, when, how much cash to hold for future buying opportunities etc. In exchange for this service, the Company charges a management fee. Management fees of the largest, longest established LICs are extremely low, typically 0.20% per annum or lower.
    https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/listed-investment-companies-lics.267/

chylld likes this.
  8. The Falcon

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see what the morrow brings

10. The Falcon

China has just cut announced rate cut (25bps) about 30 mins ago. Buying opportunity window now closed.

BHP is up 8% on the London exchange.

380 likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Damn....

12. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

ASX up over 10% now at 5250 from 4750 low, nice recovery. I wouldn't call it a dead cat bounce, more the spike down was an aberration driven by panic and forced selling/stop losses.

13. The Falcon

Looks like sentiment turned bearish late in the US session, so ASX futures have gone from being up at 5240 are now down at 5077. So the fun continues :)

14. cashnow

cashnow Active Member

ASX @ 5060

15. The Falcon

:)

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Don't for a minute think that I don't appreciate all this information, because I do. BUT....I think I'm even more confused now that I was before. I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth here.

So if I'm wanting to SLOWLY transfer over from property to shares - and by that I don't mean all of it, by any stretch - because we would like less fees, taxes and paperwork moving forward as we get older, and I don't want to be constantly checking the market & buying & selling stocks (want buy & hold long term with decent dividends and possible franking credits), I should probably steer clear of managed funds, due to volatility of managers & larger fees, and look more closely at the ETFs and the LICs.

Is that right?

17. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Bayview likes this.
  19. The Falcon

My view, yes, ETFs and LICs are ideal vehicles for what you describe.

Redwing likes this.
  20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Awesome! I am also wanting something pretty stable with minimal risk. Yes, I'm aware that all investments carry risk and accept that, but if I'm going to put a sizeable amount into it, then I want it as risk free as possible. Would I be wrong to think that the bigger, better known ones are more along the lines of what I'm looking for?

Also, what do I look for when attempting to do some due diligence in regards to these funds.

I was planning to start small and just put 10k on something, wait it out a while & if I'm comfortable put some more in. Or is that too small an amount to start with?