ASX Through The Floor

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Coota9, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Same here, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) if you look at very solid Companies with historical good growth and management, good dividend yields, profits etc over the medium and longer term, then even though their share price might be dropping fast right now, they are still a relatively good buy.

For eg; CBA, etc shares?

After the GFC, I noticed that ANZ shares dropped to approx $17 down from around $33 per share just before the crash.

I didn't buy because we had just bought the workshop :mad::(o_O:rolleyes:

2. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

For a simple analysis on checking the dividend history of stock Sydney Morning Herald has good info.

See CBA's dividend history - http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/quotes/dividends/CBA/commonwealth-bank-of-australia?page=1

In 1998 it paid $1.04 fully franked. In 2015 it paid $4.20 fully franked. To gross up just divide by 0.70. So $4.20 is $6.00. On yesterdays closing price dividend yield is 8.28% grossed up. Might be even higher after today ;)

Cheers,
    Oracle.

3. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Hi Skater,
    I didn't know a lot about shares either so I went looking for information and ended up on the the ASX website. You can do a free course on there that is pretty detailed and has helped me understand some of the jargon getting around and also how to invest.

cheers.

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I can feel some retail therapy comin' on.

Jeez; cheaper shares, better yield - early Xmas?

5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@The Falcon and other share market investors,

whats a good buy today?:)

i.e. good aussie companies with discounted share price due to whatever is happening on market.

some article suggested Seek, coacher, etc

i personally like Ann and SGP.

your view?

6. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

If you intend to buy/hold and you are not in a position to do proper analysis just buy the index...its all on sale :)

STW ; ASX200
    VAS ; ASX300
    QOZ ; ASX200 RAFI Fundamental index

Sell off is muted, waiting on China lead.......

Last edited by a moderator: 25th Aug, 2015
    Heinz57, Raydar and 380 like this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Thankyou, I'll take a look.

I've got another very newbie question, and I realise that it probably sounds very much like JH etc, as I am flying in the dark here. So....banks are under scrutiny with APRA, Are they a solid investment going forward?

8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

As long as property prices in Australia don't fall and keep rising and people don't default on their mortgages then YES banks will be solid investments going forward.

There is always going to be element of risk. Majority of banks profits comes from residential mortgages so what happens to property markets will determine their profitability.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

9. The Falcon

And...........XJO is up.

158 likes this.
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hehe, of course, when you say that, it's common sense, isn't it.

I'm not really interested in monitoring stocks, and something like managed funds would be something that would suit me. BUT it's so confusing. How do I look for what is good and what is not?

11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I find InvestSMART a pretty handy resource, you can also download PDS/application forms from there.

Then again, probably best not to take managed fund advice from me as I just put a Ferrari's worth into it last week for "diversification". Hahahah! hah!!! hah....ha.........

On a side note, will code HTML for food

inertia, Jess Peletier and skater like this.
  12. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

Complete shares noob but how do you buy into an index fund? Is there a broker or can you go online etc?

13. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Yes a drop like this has an effect on Vanguard's products - they are simply representative of the entire share market index - Australia, US, broader international shares, depending on what index fund you buy.

The index funds can be unlisted (like the unit trusts you mentioned), or listed on the stock exchange (exchange traded funds or ETFs). VAS, the fund the Falcon mentioned buying at the top of this page, is Vanguard's Australian Shares Fund ETF.

Yesterday it would have been down around 4%. So far today it's up 2%. Very volatile times!

14. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

An ETF is traded on the ASX so you can buy it like you would buy a share. Just look up the code eg. VAS, STW, QOZ

Justin_Z likes this.
  15. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Vanguard has gone down from $1.77 per unit to $1.68.

But the point of index investing is that you're in it for the long term. You're investing regularly, on the up and down. The fluctuations don't matter much if you bought in at $1.51, 1.54, 1.56, etc.

16. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Which Vanguard product are you referring to there? They have many

17. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, we're in Vanguard High Growth. Long term investment for us.

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Noob question... how does one check the current value of their managed fund units? 1) if ETF and 2) if not?

(The prices on investsmart aren't updated very regularly)

19. The Falcon

Hi Skater,

I think the starting point is really a broad based education. Asking what listed vehicle to invest in is the same as asking what property to buy. The answer is, it depends.....on many things. You really need to find your own way, then design your plan.

There is no substitute to reading, reading then more reading ;
    https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/stock-investment-resources.1731/ This thread should point you in the right direction - you will need to buy some books. I think the mindset and education component is even more important than property investment due to liquidity (easy and cheap to exit) and the torrents of news/info/D&G in the media constantly telling you to do something. Without an understanding of markets and the instruments then the likelihood of giving up, or losing interest at the most inopportune time is high.

Viz. Managed funds, speaking broadly, don't use managed funds for large cap exposure. Holders are disadvantaged in regards to fees, and importantly tax in comparison to using the listed form (ETFs).

Good Luck!

KDP likes this.
  20. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

For ours we can see it when we log into our Vanguard account. Vanguard LifeStrategy High Growth $1.6850 per unit.

I don't check it though, which is kinda the point. Invest passively, relax.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice