ASX enjoys best quarter since 2009

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by oracle, 29th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

From the IT Sector
    Was reading some article yesterday where I found BHP over last 12 months have returned US$25 billion (AUD $35 billion) to shareholders (via normal + special dividends and share buybacks).

RIO is even more impressive between 2016-18 the shareholder returns comprise

$12 billion in dividends paid
    +$3 billion final dividend declared (Feb 2019)
    +$6 billion in special dividends paid
    +$3 billion buybacks
    +$5 billion in buybacks from disposals of existing assets
    -----------
    $29 billion returned (AUD $40 billion)

In 2018 cash unit cost for their Pilbara iron ore mine was $13.3/tonne. Current prices around $85 / tonne.

Australian big miners are definitely best in the world in what they do. Very impressive considering they are in commodity business with definite cycles of up and down. They seem to make up more than enough during the up years to make their returns satisfactory even considering their performance during down years.

Link - AFR (behind paywall)

Cheers,
    Oracle. (Happy to keep accepting my share of market returns through index funds/efts :) )

sharon, Froxy, Zenith Chaos and 2 others like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Hush, it's supposed to be a secret for the select few.

And now it's been let known, next quarter will be the worst in living memory followed by a recovery of astounding proportions with a subsequent quarter of steadiness where nothing happened.

House, sharon and Zenith Chaos like this.
  3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Roller coasters must come down.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

quote..
    Was reading some article yesterday where I found BHP over last 12 months have returned US$25 billion (AUD $35 billion) to shareholders (via normal + special dividends and share buybacks).

Only seems like yesterday they were below 15 dollars ,as all the dividends start to flow ...

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am thinking you might be confusing shares with Sydney/Melbourne property :D.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

RIO just recently paid nearly $6 divi! Digging does double dough lol.

It's now trading near its ex dividend price!

Also BHP and FMG (esp) have done well. More digging.

TLS has also nudged back up a little. Maybe those subcontinent scam artists have made enough to take advantage of the low share price....."harlo I'm from testra tecknikal department and you don't need to abuse me anymore Mr Datto becoz I now truly work for the company as a reseller after making a squillion on the stok xchaange"

With property down is the ASX the only saviour? We can only pray or look at US property as some advocate. That's it from the Druitt for now.

7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Mining..

Brazil's Vale stopped a number of mines due to the dam collapse, boosting returns for Aussie exporters BHP, Rio and FMG

Link

Also more recently Rio Tinto has declared force majeure to some of its iron ore customers after cyclone damage halted shipping from its Cape Lambert A terminal in the Pilbara.

Link

datto likes this.
  8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Fortescue Metals has just announced a massive increase in its dividend from 19 cents to 60 cents per share, fully franked and rushed forward to a payment date of 14 June.

The share price has just jumped from $7.60 to $7.90 on the news.

Total dividends for the current financial year are 90 cents, including a 19 cent interim dividend and 11 cent special dividend declared in February.

"This dividend reflects Fortescue's unwavering determination to deliver shareholder returns through dividends and investment in growth," chief executive Elizabeth Gains tells the market.

"The strength of our operating cashflows enables further accelerated distribution of franking credits to eligible shareholders, inclusive of the 2018-19 interim and special dividends totalling A$0.30 per share".

Cheers,
    Oracle.

datto likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^ I loaded up today just as it was announced. With a bit if luck it might substantially reduce my capital losses. Anyway, back to thinking about the Druitt.....what? more capital losses!

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.