Asset Allocation

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by dunno, 25th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Hey @dunno what criteria are you using to define VAP being cheap? Just curious

Below are the fund characteristics

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 3.03.50 pm.png

Another curiosity have you ever considered adding Berkshire to the portfolio mix? If you don't mind yours thoughts on the pros/cons compared to some other funds you have been looking at.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

2. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Sorry, only meant cheap in the sense of MER/operating costs/spread compared to global Property or infrastructure.

Re Berkshire.

My portfolio mix target is quarter each:

Australian direct shares
    Passive Australian Cap Index
    Passive Developed Global Cap Index.
    Passive global diversifying ETF’s

I do contemplated replacing that diversified global quarter allocation with Berkshire. Its a bit like I consider replacing the Aus Directs quarter with a couple of LIC's or Sol etc.

Pro’s are its simple, the track record, the leadership. Con’s less transparency, It’s size now, culture could change post Buffett/Munger. I’m probably too much of a fan boy to evaluate the holding impartially if I was on board.

One day maybe but not today.

Ynot, blob2004, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Cheers for this mate.
    On EM I think you are spot on that if you won’t rebalance don’t hold. Hard to argue on valuation grounds, but there is so much wrapped up in that. Market is reasonably efficient, but there are some left tail risks that I personally think are more likely than most assume. Like the assumptions made for decades that PRC would not be a malign actor as it became wealthy, I question whether geopolitical risk is really properly priced for a little AU investor sitting in Oz in an Oz domiciled fund.

Between that and “the feels” I’ll be happier be wrong via omission than commission (the “I f&r:-*# knew it !!!! “) regret would be too much to bear :)

Agree at 4% VAP concentration not an issue..and GMG is a hell of a biz!

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2022
    blob2004 and George Smiley like this.
  4. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

:D Wallowed in that one more than a few times in the past and undoubtedly will again. Its a great way to think about being wrong.

My portfolio (ex direct Aus) currently results in China 2.09%, Hong Kong .75% and Taiwan 1.09%. Won't be the biggest (the “I f&r:-*# knew it !!!! “) I've eaten by a long shot and don't have your level of insight on the matter so pretty resolved to wearing the risk.

Hmmm wonder which is worse? (the “I f&r:-*# knew it !!!! “) or (the “I f&r:-*# didn't listen!!!! “):oops:

Ynot and The Falcon like this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The 10% cash allocation (HIAs & Term Deposits) is kept roughly in balance across the overall portfolio BUT is never allowed to fall below a set "floor" of x years living expenses.

Ynot, mdk, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I use a cash level in the SMSF for my comfort money as well as the funds outside of it. No TD's though but that's just me.

Nodrog likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look at VAS-VTS-VEU last 6 months

upload_2022-6-17_7-0-19.png

Attached Files:

orangestreet likes this.
  8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

@Redwing how are the bond funds doing?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

9. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

I have also axed EM and just have three simple ETFs:

VAS 40%
    VGS 50%
    VDHG 10%

I contribute any leftover money to the ETF under allocation every month and hope for the best :D

Really good to see the smart folks discussing their thoughts! Helped me immensely over the years.

sharon, mdk, Nodrog and 1 other person like this.
  10. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

Oops, I should add it's VGAD and NOT VDHG.

11. Redwing

Stocks = Down
    Bonds = Down
    Crypto = Down
    Blood Alcohol Level = Up

upload_2022-6-17_21-5-26.png

When there are times like this always remember Chapter 1 verse 9 of the good book of @SatayKing you are getting more units when purchasing now
    • Build a diversified portfolio of ETFs
    • Add money when you have it
    • Don't chase recent winners
    • Celebrate when the overall market drops
    • Remember, you are getting a discount
    • The overall market always recovers

sharon, mdk, ALT and 4 others like this.
  12. Redwing

Post from Bogleheads on Bonds as rates rise

[​IMG]

Ynot, blob2004, Heinz57 and 1 other person like this.
  13. SatayKing

A slight amendment to allow for my bias (because I can) but suggest you also add:

When CG disappears, focus on income and expenses.
    If something goes from $100 to $70, you still got $70 so what's your problem.
    There are worse things which can happen to you.

Ynot, learner, number 5 and 2 others like this.
  14. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

@Redwing I just posted this elsewhere to deal with the bond fund / etf vs individual bond issue. The common misconception that bond etfs lose money whereas individual bonds don’t. Basically with a bond fund / etf you have a rolling bond ladder that just rolls on in perpetuity.

“Bond ETF marked to market price reflects current value of all maturities, example say it’s holding bonds with 1.5% coupon and 5 years maturity. What is the market value of that bond now if face value is $100? It’s clearly less than $100 as we can now buy new issues at much higher coupon with same maturity, so market value of the bond will fall to reflect this, so that its running yield meets the market. The bond fund is not “losing money” as barring default it will recover face value of the bond plus coupon payments at maturity.

So selling a bond fund when it’s “down” is a sure fire way to lock in losses as you have taken the price haircut but not received the future coupon payments that the haircut has paid for”

number 5, Redwing and oracle like this.
  15. toozs

toozs Well-Known Member

How about property? I can’t see any allocations in the past or future. Surely they would have crossed your mind in the last decade or two.no? I am just trying to understand how investors would opt for stock market instead considering massive gains in Aussie property over the last couple of decades.

16. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Had a similar conversation with a friend yesterday around this. I pointed out that likely the dividend will remain the same & also if one intended to invest $x amount in same stock you will now get more & if dividend is the same then he will get a higher % return on his current purchase. A lightbulb moment for him.

DJC likes this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

But then, doesn't the performance reflect on a negative outlook for the state of the economy? In which case, companies will be earning less, and dividends aren't likely to stay the same.

SatayKing likes this.
  18. SatayKing

The value of property

A roof to keep the rain off my bed.
    Four walls to stop the wind from whistling through.

To me, apart from those, zip.

Ynot likes this.
  19. SatayKing

Depends. ETFs have to empty the bank account. Others, such as LICs, may be able to dip into reserves to either maintain the dividend or support a reduced one. Example was ARG which stated it's dividend income dropped by over 12% yet it's dividend payment did not drop by that amount. For how long that can be done is another issue.

monk likes this.
  20. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Property: always considered never stacked up as in investment for me. However we do own our personal use property, but I don't consider it an investment.

For full disclosure, I'm a director and still shareholder of our family company established for generational transfer of wealth and it has a large holding in farm land and associated rural business to efficiently use the civil and farming specific machinery we own to operate and improve the land. I don't see this land ownership as the greatest generator of wealth but I do see it as the best multi generational keeper of wealth.

The asset allocations I discuss on this forum relate to our SMSF which is how we intend to fund our post 60 years which is another 8.5 years away. At that point it will become our sole source of income.

Ynot, Redwing and mdk like this.