Assembling my development team, tips? Lawyers, Town Planners, Project Advisors, Engineers

Discussion in 'Development' started by scook32, 31st Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scook32

scook32 Member

Hi all,

I'm about to take on my first development project (its a large subdivision in Brisbane) and I need to start assembling a team together. This includes lawyers, town planners, project advisors, accountants and engineers. I'm a civil engineer myself and most of my contacts are in the engineering and construction field but I do not have many contacts in the other fields. How do I go about selecting the best team for my project? How do I tell if a consultant is experienced in this field? And not just experienced but good at what they do? Who do I trust? (there are several developments around my site's area and often, I've seen biased opinions against different clients when they contract the same consultant i.e. consultant favoring the larger client). This will be the first of many projects, as I am aiming to transition to a career in property development (I studied civil engineering with this intention). I will take on a development management role and will control the overall project. I would like to reiterate that it is my first development project and quite a large project too, and hence, I do not want to make any mistakes in choosing an inexperienced consultant and would like them to provide their services as well as some guidance along the way.

Are tips to share?

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Referrals

scook32, Paul@PAS and Perthguy like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My tip is do a lot of own research so when you meet and discuss ideas you arent paying them to educate you. eg : Meet accountants and ask "Tell me all I need to know about tax on the dev". OR ....I know GST will apply, can you confirm I can use the margin scheme and confirm how we determine its value"

I find this a far more productive use of your time and money and their time (and your money) too.

Attached is a free gift. Developer toolkit with background info on all tax issues.

Attached Files:

wombat777 likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Where to start ?? Probably with finance. Large devs can be knocked back merely due to incorrect assumptions and lack of experience.

5. scook32

scook32 Member

Thanks @Paul@PFI, I have done extensive research on the project and have had experienced peers, of national level roles, confirm my research. This development will go through. Financially, the project is no problem for me. I will research more about the topics and questions to ask so I make the best of their paid services.

Any more tips guys?

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It'd be a case of same **** different shovel if you have a eng construction background.
    Find subbies and contacts that give you that "warm and fuzzy feeling" :) research and find referrals

7. Chani

Chani New Member

Hi Scook32,

The 'right' consultant is typically someone who you can communicate effectively with, who has experience delivering similar projects in the area, possesses complementary skills that allow you to devote more time to the important things and is preferably referred by someone you trust.

Where you can, try and tap into an existing group of multi-disciplinary professionals. That way you know they have successfully worked together in the past.

All the best with your project!

8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I had some preliminary assessments done for my two Resi sites in Moreton Bay. @RPI is a Town Planner and Solicitor.

Brisbane Town Planners- Pro Town Planners

So @scook32, what contacts do have for Acoustic, Traffic and Hydraulics. I'm looking to get quotes / pricing for services associated with DA plans for my Feasibility costings. This is to suit small resi sites (albeit Urban Neighbourhood zoning for medium-high density).

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  9. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hi scook, sounds exciting. Im guessing its a land sub? How may lots?

10. scook32

scook32 Member

11. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

If at some stage you feel like sharing i would be very interested in reading

12. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

How'd you get finance for that given its your first project? Got some private investors on board?

13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Good to see you are starting small and grinding your teeth on a small dev for your first one :p

Id love to hear more about the project, and what your plans are.

Blacky

14. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

Which LGA is it in? I work for a contractor building these for a living and have experience working with a number of consultants in the field.

wombat777 likes this.
  15. scook32

scook32 Member

@lixas4 I'll probably start a thread when the time is right. I'm still negotiating terms and probably shouldn't say too much just yet.

@Daniel007 Yep I've got private investors on board but there is a little more to this.

@Blacky Given any opportunity I'll take it, no matter how big or small. I've also lined up a second project, much bigger than this one. I'll kick start that one soon too.

@Art Vandelay It's in BCC, send me a PM. I've already got contractors lined up to do the work but have not officially engaged them yet. Still open to options.

Daniel007 likes this.