? Asking PM to get additional quotes

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ozwanderlust, 5th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Over the years I have often had to ask PMs to get additional quotes for large repairs / maintenance or replacement of capital items. PMs have never obtained additional quotes automatically, I have had to ask. When I asked, it was always just one extra quote.
    Do you PMs get more than one quote? What would the amounts be, before they did this?
    Currently tenants reported the split AC in one of the bedrooms not working (blowing hot air, and no cool air). PM sent a trades firm to check it out (of course we had to pay for callout fee), they said the compressor faulty so recommended to replace it with a new one - quoted over $1,600 for a 2.5kw split system (removal of existing AC, installation of new AC). Should the PM, at least get a second quote for this?
    I read that some on the forum said they have also got quotes directly from the manufacturer or shops like Bunnings. But, this option is not practical for me as we are not currently in Australia. I have to rely on the "mercy" of the PM to do the right thing.
    Please share your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How old is the existing AC unit? A replacement compressor may be more viable than replacing the entire split or replacing the ODU if they can find one which matches the existing indoor unit. Then it may be a gas compatibility issue ie they don't make the old ones anymore/can't use the gas/different pipe sizes etc.

If it were a complete replacement, then I'd expect a couple of quotes not just one.

Who factors in the extra running around costs of going to Bunnies, degassing, removal, disposal, effect on warranties etc if you're trying to save a few dollars? The AC mob is the best positioned to review and quote for the works rather than taking a punt on replacing like for like (especially if it was undersized).

ozwanderlust likes this.
  3. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Thank you Scott No Mates, for your reply. The AC is probably around 14 years - so maybe it is time for a replacement? I will have to go to PM for another quote.