Ask and you shall receive (maybe)

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Greyghost, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It's definitely not working for others situations - I've tried asking, begging even, for a lotto win. But do you think anybody would listen?...............Nada..........

2. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

@SouthBoy your LVR is high and they know your stuck with them due to the LMI that your already paid.

I was at 74% LVR so got a good discount.
    I fixed both my IP's for 3yrs at a good rate when the credit crunch came a few months back

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

NAB aren't discounting off IP loans at all, and you won't get great discounts from anyone at 90% lvr.

Jason Tyrrell likes this.
  4. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

@Tranquilo, I didn't pay LMI. You can get away without paying LMI in some circumstances. Maybe I should get my properties revalued and show a lower LVR. Though these properties were bought in the last 12 months and haven't seen great growth, I have added improvements to couple of the properties.

5. SouthBoy

@Jess Peletier , this is what I suspected. But I don't understand why NAB would charge me 0.30% more on my variable rate, when my loan balance with Westpac is the same.

6. Tranquilo

Really how did you manage that, LMI credits?.

7. SouthBoy

You can do this if you or partner are in certain professions; CPA/Law/Med

Tranquilo likes this.
  8. Tranquilo

Ok got it.

9. MattA

MattA Well-Known Member

Yeah Baby. Formal letter arrived today

Tranquilo likes this.
  10. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

NAB are currently the pricey bunch of the majors for investment loans - best calculator giving them lots of business, but their rate isn't very sharp and not open to negotiating unless its set as P/I repayment (they'll discount investment loans at P/I quite heavily compared to the rest) - but thats not really much of an offering as most don't want their investments on P/I repayments.

11. SouthBoy

Thanks @Redom, maybe I should have listened to my broker and gone with Macquarie, though ANZ was never suggested. No P/I loans will not work out for my situation. I better start shopping hard, as I think 5.05% even at 90% LVR is ridiculous.

12. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

If you can, negotiate with who you're with - if its NAB, it may be more difficult though (throw in a discharge form and see if they play ball then). Refinancing in LMI territory is likely going to cost you more.

The retentions team at NAB will still discount I/O lending if you've shown that your ready to move.

13. SouthBoy

Thanks for that, will give it a go

14. ADLInvestor

ADLInvestor Well-Known Member

Yep correct, 4.4% on investment loan.

Thanks Steven, i'll get my wife to do that. She's just starting out as a broker, she might as well get some experience talking to people :D

We'd like to switch products, as it means instead of being about $200 out of pocket a month, it would be about $40. Also, there's probably 20-30k of equity in there that'd we'd like to get out.

Thanks for all your replies!

15. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

@ADLInvestor - all the best to your wife with the new career!

ADLInvestor likes this.
  16. ADLInvestor

ADLInvestor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the wishes, i'll pass them on. Or she'll likely see this, she's been doing a lot of reading of PC!

17. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

Made a couple of calls today to get some numbers from other majors to assist with a request to NAB....

ANZ >5 oercent on INV so no help

CBA said they would give me 1.4 off both OO and INV ( So 4.2 OO and 4.47 INV)... More helpful

At this stage NAB are a " no further rate discounts" .... They did offer a $1000 retention payment....ive turned that down for now and asked them to look a bit harder at rate... Will see ( not planning to tefi, just asking the question)

18. SouthBoy

Spoke to NAB through my broker, and they have refused to go any lower than 5.05% for my IPs which are both at 90% LVR. Broker had a similar conversation with Westpac with whom I have a similar loan balance, once again at 90% LVR. Westpac have agreed to reduce the rate from 4.80% to 4.65%. I have told my broker I want to move out of NAB to another lender and looking at RateCity there are quite a few small lenders lending at 4.30% or around that. I have not looked at the cost involved in moving to another lender. Broker isn't very happy as the NAB loans were set-up less than 12 months ago and it appears the brokers commission might be clawed back by NAB, if I move out of NAB. Broker will have another chat to NAB and I expect will come back with a P/I offer or a fixed interest offer. I have told my broker clearly that I am only interested in variable I/O loans. Does it make sense to go with a P/I only loan with NAB if the rate is very low for an IP?

19. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The cost of moving will be high b/c of the new LMI you'll have to pay all over again. Get your broker to do the sums for you.

20. SouthBoy

@Jess Peletier , currently we are not paying LMI due to our professions. Are there no institutions who exempt LMI when loans are at 90% LVR any more? I was also offered a 2 year fixed P/I rate of 4.19% and 2 years fixed I/O rate of 4.48%. I am considering this, but P/I makes no sense from a tax point of view.