ASIC bans mortgage broker

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Dan Wood, 30th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

ASIC bans mortgage broker

Not sure if this allowed here? Anyway pretty interesting considering the brokers qualifications.

Attached Files:

Terry_w likes this.
  2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sounds like my kind of broker.

Pingu1988, Lacrim and Terry_w like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

;) former broker
    Ah well there is always conveyancing. :rolleyes:

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Happens once or twice a year, someone gets banned for doing something fraudulent. It's probably equal across brokers and bankers. The bankers tend to end up out of a job, the brokers often end up in court. Even though the ban might be for 5 years, there's other criteria that means they'll never work in lending services again. Even if the ban is overturned her aggregator will likely sack her and no other aggregator will take her on.

It's also an incredibly stupid thing to do. The person doing this literally hands over the evidence when they submit the application to the bank.

On the flip side I can understand why some people would cross a line. People don't appreciate is the sheer amount of pressure we get from clients to get the loan approved. People really want that house. They might make a stupid financial decision. We're expected to get the loan even when it may not be possible. There's plenty of lending policies that I think are stupid, but I've still got to work with them.

Beyond Wealth, Curious2019 and qak like this.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Is it me or is there less disqualifications these days? Maybe as ASIC is as corrupt as the Victorian Govt.

Cheers Ivan

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Selective disqualifications. So many out there giving unlicensed advice yet nothing happens to them.

Lindsay_W and Marty McDonald like this.
  7. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I know a guy who forged an employer's letter and Photoshop bank statements to 'prove' his income to get a 500k loan to buy an IP. He's never missed a loan repayment so no-one is the wiser. I imagine it's pretty common

8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I know of at least one recent case of a broker being banned up here in QLD and yet nothing was written about it, so potentially more common just not publicly reported

Dan Wood likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I don't think it's particularly newsworthy - unless it was one of the larger companies and the problem was endemic.

I follow ASIC on social media and see regular reports about financial advisors getting banned - I doubt there would be any media coverage in most cases. Unsurprising it would get coverage in an industry journal like in the original source of this report - Broker News, but hardly a matter of public interest in most cases.

10. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Do you know any?
    PM me if you have any.

datto likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sorry I don’t know any that are bent. All straight as. In the past I have had dealings with a few brokers eg Aussie.

They were ridgey didge. Their eyebrows rose to the top of their forehead when I requested my cash crop income be included in the calc. lol.