International Asian exposure in portfolio: LICs, ETFs or other

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Zenith Chaos, 24th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Which 4 funds are you referring to, @The Falcon ?

-Frank

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  2. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I admit i enjoy reading these discussions.

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Best listen to @The Falcon. I’m just old, confused, senile and stubborn:

DA3630DA-B385-4507-B642-B832621572EC.jpeg

4. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

i enjoy reading these threads immensely. In fact, it is a treat I look forward to most during a work day when I fire up PC and follow posts from my favourite posters. :)

If one can read all this and continue to go back to basics and keep doing the simple things right, there is absolutely no issues whatsoever. But i have found some people, much more intelligent than me (both here and at work), when given a multitude of options stuff it up considerably in trying to over-optimise. It is almost as if that if a solution is not complicated, it must be wrong. If you have that tendency, watch out. As always, success in life is hugely dependent on knowing yourself (flaws and all) throughly.

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I enjoy this stuff for intellectual stimulation but as time goes on the two most important things that I’ve learnt to appreciate more and more is Simplicity and SANF!

A reminder of Bogle’s quote “the enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan”.

6. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yes, satisficing beats optimization in this field imho. The stock market is a complex adaptive system.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Bill Bernstein - Liability Matching and Bonds

Totally off topic still sorry but it drives me mad when I can’t remember where I read things. Given @The Falcon asked a question I wanted to get my facts correct given I don’t always trust my memory.

Trouble is with famous authors is what you hear from them will depend on where and at what time period they wrote and / or said something.

The other very important point is that much deeper thinking is required to relate what you read back to your own circumstances. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE STRATEGY FITS ALL. This includes Thornhill’s approach which I had defended during a recent stubborn brain snap:oops:. It will vary greatly depending on your level of wealth, personal preferences and behaviourial factors including SANF.

This interview with Bernstein highlights this fact and his view on bonds / bond funds which admittadly is how I have always felt about them. Note CDs = Term Deposits (in Australia):
    For your Fixed Interest portfolio I recommend you buy one of these:
    4A1D8C33-257C-4B46-98A4-AB811E75B715.jpeg
    :)

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2018
    Anne11, Zenith Chaos and @FruitCake@ like this.
  8. Summer of George

Summer of George Active Member

For education, I'm in an accumulating phase but I want to understand when I hear what this means

What are short term treasuries?

So the three safe assets were cash, short-term Treasuries, and CDs?

9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Treasury Notes | AOFM

However for most retail Australian investors a short duration Term Deposit (< 6 months) or an online High Interest savings account is likely to be more appropriate than short term treasuries.

Just remember that to receive the Gov’t Guarantee spread your cash around:

10. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

I look forward to having to worry about this problem someday ;)

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he. Yes it’s one of the better worries to have.

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Still off topic and entertaining myself with this sorry all.

Meant to add the below quote in response to my earlier concern and @the falcon’s question about Bernstein and inflation. I must admit I’m somewhat skeptical about the following especially after taking tax into account. Perhaps in a zero tax Super Pension environment it might be a possibility (mandatory withdrawal % could be a problem though) otherwise I doubt it:
    Owning even a small allocation of stocks I would have thought more sensible rather than effectively retiring on short duration Term Deposits in an Australian context.

@The Falcon / others, thoughts?

13. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Bernstein might be assuming that the game is already won and there is no point taking any risk to keep playing. However, given that on a long time frame shares beat everything else, there must be something we're missing.

Nodrog likes this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Interesting article:

The changing shape of emerging markets – Wealth Foundations : : Wealth Foundations Blog
    The Evolution of Emerging Markets
    Register for Morningstar.com

Anne11 likes this.
  15. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

“The China hustle” on Netflix is a good watch, on Chinese backdoor listings on the NYSE / Shorting frauds. Soren Aandahl of Glaucus Research who recently took down Blue Sky (BLA.AX) makes an appearance. Although it’s focus is on specific type of fraud, it raises further questions.

Redwing and Zenith Chaos like this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

MSCI's China A shares move key for foreign investors

Anne11 likes this.
  17. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Full article here

I reckon give another 5-7 years and India would start appearing in lot of such articles. It is currently the only major economy growing at 7%+ with best population demographics for continued growth over the coming 2 decades. BSE (Bombay stock exchange) India's equivalent index of US's DOW was 100 points in 1979 and today in 2018 is 38,000 which equates to 16.45% compounded annually (excluding dividends) for last 39 years. Trailing P/E ratio of BSE is 23.5% so it's not in bubble territory like the Nikkei was in late 1980s.

Although, I have sold VGS and poured money into IVV and IJR instead. I still stand by my conviction to invest in VAE. Asian story is still attractive and has plenty of growth remaining.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia