Ashley Madison

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Notlad Samoht, 20th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Oh, spludgey, you need to get out more. :)

I know it's extremely common, but that doesn't mean that I get it. Isn't it easier to have a relationship where you can discuss your sexual needs openly? I'm saddened at the apparent lack of real intimacy in many relationships, where people obviously feel unable to say: "I need X and I'm not getting it from our relationship".

2. THX

THX Well-Known Member

I was going to join but my wife wouldn't let me :p

Esh and beachgurl like this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

You're not supposed to discuss it with her first.
    Just let her find the billing on your CC statement then say, sorry, too late....

4. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

If you were going to join a website like this why would you use your real details? Maybe I have a devious mind but it just seems common sense. Although the common sense thing would be NOT to join a website like this in the first place and talk to your partner if there is a problem.

5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Next up... ismypasswordsafe.com

THX and Perp like this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That was the day when you got out on the wrong side of the bed.

Bayview likes this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

The problem was the hack took credit card records ie real names.

I saw something on Facebook saying that it's not fair and that the customers trust has been betrayed, that kind of made my blood boil, being that the site is dedicated entirely to helping people betray the trust of the person they married.

Zero sympathy and even a big sucked in from me to anyone caught up in this :).

Tim86, Esh, citystar and 2 others like this.
  8. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I agree with respect to their spouses. But what if they were on the site with their spouse's agreement - do they deserve to have their private life publicised to family, colleagues, and others outside their relationship?

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It's very straight forward to go to Australia Post and pick up a pre-paid VISA card. Pay cash for it and it's completely anonymous. There's plenty of ways to set up an anonymous email account as well.

Of course, this takes planning. I imagine that many people doing this type of thing aren't thinking entirely logically and simply sign up in the easiest manner.

As for the people whose details are out there, I don't have a lot of sympathy. If you cheat and get caught, regardless of the medium, you know better than anyone else the risk you're taking and should be prepared to live with the consequences. If you can't take the punishment, then don't take the risk.

I am somewhat sympathetic to the business/website owners however. Regardless of who you are and what you do for a living, being hacked in any matter is very serious. If you get a malware infection you'll find people are contacting you constantly complaining about it, whilst at the same time you're working your butt off to fix the problem. Data loss, loss or reputation, loss of business isn't funny. People can spend their lives trying to make something work and it can be taken away from them in an instant by a criminal with a computer.

10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I don't really see that as an issue, if their spouse is cool with it then thats the main thing, other than looking up your mates for a giggle, I doubt there would be any ramifications outside of the marital relationship. I have worked with people who cheat, I didn't view them any differently because it's work and none of my business, knowing they used this site to do it wouldn't make a difference.

Perp likes this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

You are still the King, young Geoff!! :cool:

geoffw likes this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of that TV shoe - Cheaters.
    Was always awesome to seem them confronted after caught in the act, some get defensive and some get aggressive.

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, but not many people call me young any more. I'm older than you whippersnipper. ;-)

Bayview likes this.
  14. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I thought that he was only hacked because he was parading his site as unhackable.

Plus to start a website like this in the first place, you've got to have very loose morals. So the only people I feel sorry for in this whole saga are the spouses of the cheaters on that website.

Bran likes this.
  15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I didn't know that.

By the way; it's "whipper-snapper".

Getting senile in your old age you old dog..

One of my ex-bosses in the golf industry had the amazing knack of being able to say virtually anything to anyone - especially if he didn't know them from a bar of soap - and they would not get offended.

He was an older bloke at the time, and one of his favorite questions when meeting older men than him was; "How're ya hittin' em; you old *******?"

Cracked me up.

16. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

A one week boys golf trip ( thailand trip) would of been a much better option now haha.

17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Morals and ethics are very much in the eye of the beholder and I agree it's the spouses that are the real victims here.

Infidelity and hacking are two very different things. One doesn't justify the other. By the same logic there's people that would argue that hacking and publishing a register of abortion clinic clients is also justified. There's plenty of people whose interpretation of morals and ethics rate having an abortion as much worse than infidelity.

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2015
    Perp likes this.
  18. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It's not directly publicised though. Their family would have to specifically go and look for the information. If your family and friends are going to do that then they don't trust you.
    Family trust should be established by example anyway, so if someone is doing the wrong things then the trust won't be there.

If the spouse has agreed to it then there is no problem at all. No one in the world has time to check up and care what each person is doing. And do real friends want to spy on you too?

19. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

If that remains the case, fair enough. I imagine it's only a matter of time before people start creating tools or bots that allow people to, for example, check every email in your address book against the list.

Look, I don't care for me personally, I'm not on it, I just think we need to learn to mind our own business a lot more. :)

20. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It's easy to do that and there are already websites running for the sole purpose of searching the database.

Perp likes this.