NSW Ashfield - which streets are the "nicer" or "prestige" parts of Ashfield?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by RobotHam, 3rd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RobotHam

RobotHam Member

I've been looking for a 2BR apartment in Ashfield and have noticed certain pockets of the suburb sell for way above average, even if the property itself is nothing special.

For example, some 2BR apartments on Victoria St have sold over $1m: https://www.domain.com.au/building-profile/132-victoria-street-ashfield-nsw-2131

So I would like to know which parts are considered more desirable and why:
    1. What are the nicer areas of Ashfield? Does it depend on location relative to the station or relative to Liverpool Rd and Parramatta Rd? Distance to Ashfield Park? Or is it just specific streets?
    2. What factors make certain areas nicer? Crime? Thoroughfare? etc.
    Thanks

2. hatake88

hatake88 Member

I have heard that areas closer to summer hill tend to be "nicer" (i.e. more expensive)

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Price variation is mostly due to apartment size.. walking distance to Ashfield/Summer Hill stations (within 700m) and away from main roads should be the main consideration.

Stay away from parramatta road .. most apartments close to Ashfield parks are fine as long as they aren’t too close to parramatta road…

4. RobotHam

RobotHam Member

Is Liverpool Rd considered a main road to avoid? I know it's technically part of Hume Highway but it's only 2 lanes each direction so I didn't think it was that bad.

Also, how far from Parramatta Road (in terms of perpendicular distance) would be far enough in your opinion?

5. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Liverpool isn’t bad but don’t buy anything right on Liverpool road.

Ideally you want to buy at least 100-200m away from parramatta road .. it’s quite noisy and being close to west connex exit isn’t ideal.

Stay away from Fredrick st as well .. it gets really far from station.

If you aren’t in a rush, wait for a 2b to come on the market around Pratten park (a lot of quiet streets in that pocket).

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

7. innerwestie

innerwestie Active Member

Summer hill is a different market to Ashfield, far less units, way more desirable.

For Ashfield, summer hill border is good, units overlooking Ashfield Park usually do well. North side of the train line is almost all units, streets often having dumped furniture lying around which is a turn off.

There's still around 200 units available to rent in Ashfield, and they're still building more near Ashfield mall. I was considering buying summer hill side, but poor yield/CG changed my mind. It will be a couple years before all that stock is leased and they will keep building new blocks for a long time too.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The unit that I highlighted is a bit of an anomaly - most 2/1/1 go for alot less & still have a very low rental yield. Further away from the traditional boarding houses but near to the shops & station.

Definitely alot of older units around Alt/Bland/Orpington St and the adjacent streets as well.

9. RobotHam

RobotHam Member

Thanks, that's helpful. There hasn't been much stock around Pratten Park so I assumed it was mostly houses around that area. There's one on sale about 400m away so I will check it out.

standtall likes this.
  10. RobotHam

RobotHam Member

What about south of the train line but near Croydon border instead of Summer Hill? That's the one part of Ashfield I haven't checked out much of as there hasn't been much apartment stock on sale.

Where did you end up buying / where would you recommend buying instead? My plan was to live in the apartment for a few years in a location that's convenient for work. Ashfield ticks enough boxes but definitely keeping an eye on future yield and CGs as well...

11. innerwestie

innerwestie Active Member

I've never really been a fan of that part. It's in a triangle between liverpool rd, frederick st and the train line, feels like boxed in by roads/rail. I generally wouldn't want a unit where there's heaps and heaps of units in close vicinity. Kind of feel like it makes yours just another.....

I don't even have an IP, came close to buying, but gave up on Sydney right now as I want somethine neutral/postively geared. Still deciding where else to invest.
    I just read a lot on here and try to find good advice where possible before buying.

I think there is value to be had in the area, but hard to find. (I live/own a house in the area.)