VIC Ascot Vale vs Coburg

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by zed_kid, 9th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

I see. I’ve always been told go for brick when you can and pay a premium if you have too…

What you guys think of this one? Its north of Bell St but not too far north, and wow it’s pretty.

61 Soudan Street Coburg Vic 3058 - House for Sale #125431542 - realestate.com.au

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Looks good, easy access to freeeay, only negative is heaps of traffic at certain times as I drive that route as my mates house it up the road. May not bother you, just listen for noise when inside the house.

4. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Exactly! Not to mention that a brick wall will never look right even if fixed - weatherboards can look good as new :)

I've got no issues with a 70s/80s brick home on a concrete slab, but for a home that's pushing 100 - you will have your work cut out for you if you go for brick.

Edit: it seems that in these areas brick is worth more $$$ (I will tell you this is unequivocally NOT the case in Geelong) - just one more reason to go weatherboard!

Dave3214 likes this.
  5. zed_kid

Yeah might be too close to Bell street. I would like to enjoy the back yard whenever I can.

6. tone1

tone1 Active Member

Do you need connectivity to the CBD? Ascot Vale would be a quicker journey by car or train, inner north's roads are awful most of the time and especially in peak hour. Bell Street is a nightmare. Upfield line's trains are less frequent than most other train lines in Melbourne.

Nice house, looks unique with the new windows, usually these properties have timber sash windows which I love. The positive side is that the windows are much bigger than typical cal bung with timber sash so there would be heaps of light coming through those front rooms.

7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

That road (extension of Gaffney) has a pretty cool precinct there now. Still many industrial sites but slowly they will be replaced with apartments.

To clarify I don't dislike north side of bell, there are some great houses off Cumberland Rd, around the pool etc. I just feel the stronger Owner occ appeal is south of bell.

8. zed_kid

Quick update.

Went to an auction on Bloomfield road, Ascot Vale.

Beautiful house, great reno, issues with positioning and floor plan so I didn’t bid. Looked like others weren’t too keen on it as it got passed in with some very unenthusiastic bidding.

Went to do a drive by Soudan place, and it backs on to a carwash, might not be an issue for some but it is for me.

The hunt continues

9. zed_kid

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  10. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I really really like that style of house.

As for the location, being near Geelong St provides easy access to Geelong Rd, Sunshine Rd (probably the easiest way to get to the city) and the West Footscray train station. It's easy to get to all that Footscray has to offer. If you are a footy fan it is close to the Footscray oval. I wouldn't be put off by the location at all.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the location provides an easy link to Williamstown Rd as well. You get easy access to three main roads and a station without having to be on the main road yourself - I consider that a plus. And if others don't like it, well you can always use that to your advantage ;)

11. zed_kid

Thanks G. I’ll go past listen for the noise levels. I like that style of house too, do you know what it’s called? It’s not quite a cal bung is it?

12. CAN

CAN Member

Have you looked at Coonans Hill, pocket of Pascoe Vale South? Under valued, great demographic, mix of Cal bung inter war and post war homes.
    Also there some really nice pockets of Pascoe vale, north of bell, thing are changing up there.

13. CAN

CAN Member

14. zed_kid

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Oh man, you didn't list that super priority item before!! Changes my reco's totally.
    Ascot Vale / MPonds - down the river end near the boathouse. Alternaively Ascot V near union st.
    Pay extra if required to keep wife happy.

The Y-man

16. zed_kid

Yeah prices are pretty mental in ascot / moonee for double fronts.

Went to an auction for a rundown cal bung in moonee ponds, listed $1-1.1m sold for $1.35m

Can only afford a single fronted in those suburbs, so that’s the conundrum I’m in, single fronted in ascot vale/moonee ponds vs double front in Coburg/Pascoe South

Also looking in Kingsville/Seddon now too, some amazing houses there for around $1.2m

17. CAN

CAN Member

I know what you mean, we were living deep inner city before moving out north. But thing are changing, a lot of like minded people moving in , great pizza (shop225) and ice cream (miinot gelato) and a couple of cafes, Lo Lo wren in west Brunswick is close.
    Shopping strip is the only thing missing out here and it's what all the locals complain about. We are in the middle of Coburg, Brunswick Moonee ponds. I can ride my pushy to anyone one of those suburbs within ten minutes.
    Anything south of Moreland road is now $1.3 plus in need of work and south of bell you might get something for $1.1 if you're lucky.
    Coonans hill is one of those suburbs within in a suburb. It's the area north from Moreland road to Reynard street, it's a small area but it's considered the best part of Pascoe Vale south.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia