Asbestos Storm Damage

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by lgovern, 4th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lgovern

lgovern New Member

We’ve had damage to our property due to the recent rain here in Brisbane and waiting to hear back from insurance but curious as to whether anyone else has had experience with this before. Our ceiling/roof has leaked in multiple rooms around the house, there is mould and peeling/cracked paint in various parts due to water pooling. A friend said they think insurance will want to rip all asbestos out of the house and resheet as they cannot safely just repair the affected parts. Is this likely to happen? Getting anxious at the thought of having to gut our house

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Free asbestos removal? Sign me up.

Corkey, wylie, Propin and 4 others like this.
  3. lgovern

lgovern New Member

That definitely is a silver lining

4. Czechia

Czechia Well-Known Member

Isn't the insurance only covering for the damage, not the cause?

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If the cause was hail or a falling tree hitting the asbestos roof sheeting (and possibly even going through to damage the asbestos eaves) and thus causing cracks/holes to allow the water to get in then both the roof and water damage would prob be covered.

If it is old sheeting and has a crack without a weather event/falling tree/other causing damage then the roof wouldn't be covered, and it's likely you wouldn't be paid out for any water damage as you failed to maintain the roof in the first place....

Propin likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How does rain damage a roof? Sounds like the roof may have been fragile to start with.

Will be interesting to hear what is covered by insurance.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Acid rain, dissolved the roof :rolleyes:?

Hail or wind damage?

8. zayney

zayney Member

Im am in a similar boat. I had water ingress when the heavy storms in Brisbane hit a few months ago. Because its a 1950's house with an asbestos roof, the insurer declined the claim stating that the roof was beyond its life expectancy. Trying to find someone who can patch/repair this is impossible and Im finding nobody will patch or repair an asbestos roof. Looking at the roof report from the insurance companies builder, the water seems to have come in from a cracked ridge. Id prefer not to replace the whole roof right now as the plan is to eventually demolish the property down the track.

Would love to hear if anyone else is also in a similar situation and if they have managed to find anyone to perform repairs without having to replace the full roof.

Thanks.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You would be looking at above 20k for the roof removal as the scaffolding starts at 2-5 k depending on location and the house's footprint..
    To give you an idea on asbestos removal costing I had a quote recently on a internal total removal and there was not one under 100k and that was from a insurer's builder -.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Insurance may cover roof damage caused by a impact event etc. Not general water leaks. But they may cover the consequential water leak damage IF a insured event created the leak. Not if its just old and failed as a barrier. Generally asbestos will be a repair the insurer WONT assist as the roof may need to be resheeted and little of the damage can be "fixed" etc. They may offer $X and allow you to cover the balance and deal with removal etc. I had a client affected by their factory roof suffering hail damage. They were lucky and the hail riddled it with holes so the insurer paid for a new roof. Thats rare. You may be limited in what repairs you can make to asbestos roofing by law. It may need removal.

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Just painted mine to seal it all in !
    You could buy some sealing product to slather over the crack and then paint the area....

Attached Files:

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. zayney

zayney Member

Thanks Paul. Thats what Im finding as well and am struggling to get anyone who can patch/repair it without wanting to do a full roof replacement. Given its a small leak that only occurs under very heavy storms and Im looking to demolish the property later down the track, Id prefer not to do a full roof replacement.

I understand that if it was a tiled roof and I replaced the whole roof, it would need to be depreciated over the expected lifespan as technically a few tiles could have been repaired etc but given its asbestos sheeting and a single sheet cannot be replaced on its own, is this classified as a "repair" for tax purposes or does it need to be depreciated?

13. zayney

zayney Member

That looks great! Did it seal the leaks? Was this something you did yourself or someone you can recommend in Brisbane that could do this?

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Did it myself.

PPE, purchased a mask with replacement filter specific to filter asbestos, tyvec suit and booties.

Job, wet down with water prior to accessing (or you can spray with Aquadere/water mix) to limit airborne particles and paint with water based tile paint (more flexible).

Waterproofing is another story, I used silicone (paintable) to a few cracks and gaps, but really need to cement the ridge capping to valley area's and repaint yet, didn't want to do it prior and upset the fibers, now I am waiting for the paint to cure (am back in Sydney, but that's my excuse:D) before accessing (it is also very slippery now) :confused:
    We did have some water marks on the ceiling prior from Feb-March rains, but it hasn't really rained much since painting....

Bonus, is that the neighbors appreciate the effort, they all asked when I purchased IF we were going to replace the roofing (which I don't have the budget for), but are all happy that it is A, sealing in and limiting any fiber escape & B, it no longer looks like a terrible old asbestos roof :cool:

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

For asbestos or mold yes, the insurer will want you out for the duration of works. Works will take ages. They seem to wait till one step is completely finished before even trying to book the next. Expect your job to take a bare minimum of 6 months.

I have one on the go at the moment so am seeing literally how painfully slow the resolution time is in this difficult market with strained availability of trades.

16. Island

Island New Member

I have a 70 year old asbestos roof which has signifcant leaks in Brisbane. Does anyone know what the likely outcome would be if I was to make an insurance claim, if there has not been any hail/tree damage, but the roof is simply old? Insurance is not my area of expertise, but although they are unlikely to replace my entire roof, would they make a partial contribution?

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Probably none unless a major hail event occurred. Or a tree hitting it. Or space junk or aircraft parts falling off a jetstar plane. AND then they may look at the deterioration and pay part. Not all polices are full replacement. (Reinstatement cover) Esp a 70 year old run down asbestos roof.

They will pay you $0

They will consider the damage is wear, tear and ageing. That uninsured. Its up to you as owner to maintain your property. Imagine if everyone who owneed a old building claimed on insurance ? That not waht insurance covers. Your policy says as much. Its in plain english. Read the policy

You may also find the policy covers water damage from a roof leak...Its also limited to these defined events that damage the roof. They wont pay for the subsequent damage either.