Asbestos Renovation project

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mill, 19th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

I'm doing the sums on a renovation project in Brisbane that is filled with asbestos (roof, eaves, ceiling, internal walls).

This is a budget reno I'm trying to determine the most cost effective solution to get rent ready. I'll need to completely gut the kitchen and bathroom to renovate so new plasterboard is required there but for the remaining house (bedrooms & living areas) is it just a simple paint job or should I also factor in asbestos removal and plasterboard for all rooms?

Also if the roof is in reasonable condition would you leave it for now but keep in mind the extra removal costs come the time for the replacement?

Appreciate any thoughts

Cheers

2. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

Roof wait for a big storm in Brisbane - We always get them.

Depending on your budget if you can afford to remove the asbestos then I would but if not just repaint the bedroom and living areas. If the tenants cut into any of these rooms they are breaching their tenancy agreement to begin with. But as you said kitchen, bathroom I would do and also the toilet if it is separate to the bathroom. As a toilet cistern will need to be replaced and then its a major project if you have tenants living in the property and you only have one toilet.

3. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Get the asbestos removed all at once by a professional licenced asbestos removal company. Cost effective in the long run considering most builders look to work on a safe work site and it needs removal to provide that. It may work out cheaper to completely demolish and rebuild given the work you are looking at and the likely need for new plumbing and electrical work. Talk to a reputable builder.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How many square metres?
    Have you got quotes for the removal? Many will price over the phone or a reasonable guesstimate
    It could be 40k to remove it all. Is that in the plan?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Yesberg - Is it bonded sheet ie fibre or loose fill? Loose fill (Mr Fluffy) will need close to complete demolition of the premises.

In NSW Worksafe is either purchasing these houses or undertaking the remediation works - is there an equivalent scheme in your neck of the woods?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If the asbestos is in sheeting form and in good condition, then it is perfectly safe if it's in good condition, painted and left undisturbed.

However, it won't get any cheaper to remove asbestos in future so if you can do it now for a reasonable cost, it might be worth it - if it fits in with your plans.

When I had my asbestos roof replaced, I got a roofing company that did it quite reasonably as part of reroofing.

I got a different company to remove the bungalow cladding, a couple of flues and the eaves lining.

7. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

I estimate roughly 370sqm of walls, 150sqm roof & 150sqm ceiling.

I got a few quotes this morning. Note these are rough over the phone rates and would require a site visit to confirm price:
    Quote 1:$8.5k for internal. $30/sqm roof + $1200-$1500 edge protection + power disconnect + $15sqm for insulation removal (if applicable)
    Quote 2: $22sqm internal. $27sqm roof + edge protection + power + insulation $12-13sqm
    Quote 3: $8k internal $4k roof

On top top of that would need to add cost to re-plasterboard the walls plus cornice and skirting.

8. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates It is bonded sheet asbestos not loose fill.

I'm in QLD, not aware of any government incentives to assist with asbestos removal. A quick google search only came up with a small fund to assist with "clean-up of asbestos waste in circumstances where the person responsible for the incident isn’t identifiable or is unable to carry out the necessary clean-up activities". So no luck unfortunately, will have to budget removal costs into the project

9. Brodie66

Brodie66 Member

We're currently having the same dilemma - thinking of having all asbestos removed from a 3 bed 1 bath post war home. What did you end up doing?

10. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

@Brodie66 I ended up removing the asbestos walls & ceiling in the bathroom & laundry. The rooms had water damage and they were complete gut jobs. I didn't see any value in replacing the rest of the house (bedrooms, living rooms etc) as they were in good condition.

Brodie66 likes this.