Asbestos removal Brisbane

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Matt2000, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matt2000

Matt2000 New Member

Hi all - have just gone to contract on my first big renovation project.
    The only thing worrying me at this point (plenty more to come I am sure) is all the internal walls and ceiling is asbestos.

Ive made a few preliminary phone calls - prices range from $30 - $100 a meter to remove. A rough calculation shows there's about 300sqm of asbestos to be removed.

My First question is - do I need to remove it?

Mostly it is in good condition. But I do not want to install a nice bathroom and kitchen over the top of the asbestos if its going to detract from the value of the home.

Secondly - Will I be doing myself a disservice if I plaster over it?
    Is it worthwhile only removing it from some rooms? i.e. bathroom and kitchen areas where most of the work is going to be.

Thanks a bunch if you can answer any of my questions - or even better if you can refer someone in brisbane to have a look at it that would be awesome!

Many Thanks.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've used Somah from Total Asbestos several times. He will take a look and give you a price, but if he is unsure what sort of asbestos it is, he may ask you to get it tested. That will cost about $40 per sample and can be taken to a local place (cannot recall the name of the testing facility our son used).

Somah 0421 804 305

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is up to you if you sheet over it. I would not do that because it hides the problem. I'd rather get rid of it. Of course, that comes at a price.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.