QLD Asbestos query

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Justin_Z, 6th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

Brains trust,

A tenant in one of my properties has made comments about whether there was asbestos in the property. The agent has said there's been no evidence supplied by tenant to back this up. I checked the B&P report which didn't mention anything about asbestos. In the last 4 years it's been tenanted, no mention of asbestos either.

The maintenance requested by this tenant has been extensive, although the property is a little worse of wear compared to my other properties, they average a maintenance request every 2-3 weeks.

My PM is asking whether we should organise an abestos inspection- is there any onus or responsibility for me to undertake this? Or should tenant be paying for it if they are that concerned?

2. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Not real answer, but if it is me, I will get the inspection for free of mind and at the same time, looking for a new tenant as soon as this Covid19 is over.

Kathryn_QLD likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of houses have asbestos. What is the reason for their concern with your house?

Kathryn_QLD and Propertunity like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

As far as I know, so long as one does not contemplate major Reno that might expose the asbestos, the asbestos is good to stay.
    Example we gutted our whole 3 bathrooms & toilets, upstairs and downstairs, relocate plumbing, redo ceiling... that required removal of asbestos.
    And we couldnt stay in the house during that time. More because of my own allergy situation but quite believe it's also legislated.
    And then there's rules about under a certain amount an Owner can do it themselves.
    Whatever the case is, once you start the process it will be costly. So IMHO, either do nothing, or do a massive one by removing all traces of asbestos.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What are the tenant's issues. If the material is in good condition ie stable & bonded then there's no need for any issue to be raised.

What type of house is it? How old? What maintenance works are being undertaken?

6. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t usually be in the building and pest reports as a definitive as it’s required a sample is taken for laboratory testing to confirm if asbestos is present. So this is additional to the standard inspection. If there is a asbestos might be present sticker in the property then this would be noted in report

If it’s sound condition and bonded then it’s not an issue until this changes or renovations are required.

Joynz likes this.
  7. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. The house is in sound condition besides minor maintenance issues, so yeah I'm quite perplexed. The tenants haven't indicated they want to renovate and I certainly have no plans to either.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

They either want to leave and are looking for excuses
    Or someone put a soccer ball ball thru a wall.......

Kathryn_QLD, Angel and wylie like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think your property manager needs to be more specific about what is going on. Clearly something has happened to raise the "is there asbestos" question with these tenants.

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Given the information supplied, you have no responsibility to have an inspection carried out.

11. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

How old is the house?

Pre 1980 then likely to be asbestos sheeting used for the eaves and lining of wet areas. As long as these are well maintained with paint and not cracked or broken then no issue.
    Post 1990 asbestos was pretty well eliminated from new building.

The real nasty is the use of asbestos for either loose fill insulation eg Charlie Fluff in Canberra and southern NSW, insulation for water heaters, wiring and flues.