Asbestos in garden soil. Advice please :(

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Karen_17, 2nd Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Great idea, thank you. Will look into it but worried about unearthing more asbestos/exposing whoever installs the raised garden bed to asbestos when they dig the ground to put the steel posts for the sleepers in.

2. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Asbestos is not dangerous unless it’s disturbed/dust - can you get an extra layer dirt to “cover up” anything? I’m a huge fan of the old cover up. Cracked concrete? Tile over. Problem in yard? Tip soil on top.

Karen_17 likes this.
  3. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Yes that's looking like it's the most cost effective way to deal with it, once I get all of the disturbed pieces that the fencers left behind cleaned up. Fingers crossed it won't cost an arm and a leg for the asbestos removalists to do this for me.

4. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Hi all, just coming back to update on quotes as I said I would. When I was panicking the other day I assumed it would cost $10,000+ to fix and even saw someone else said they paid $25,000 to fix soil contamination but the first of the quotes have come through and it’s $1200+ GST for soil remediation and asbestos removal and from $380 + GST for the clearance certificate. Waiting for one more quote and eager to get it cleared as soon as possible (but I still don’t want to live in this newly renovated house anymore lol).

Appreciate your helpful responses to my initial post :)

Attached Files:

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The image you posted sounds like it covers picking up the surface asbestos - no digging down or removal of the soil (that’s where it gets expensive).

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The quote seems like a great way to ensure your home is safe. I would also look at top dressing for a few years to build a nice bed of soil / grass over the present surface in any event. Then put your mind to rest that its safe at your new home.

wylie likes this.