Asbestos fence

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by dreamgirl, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Member

I've just discovered that the previous owner of my IP installed a colorbond fence alongside an old fence, which apparently has asbestos.

Now my neighbour wants me to go halves with the removal and replacement of a new fence to the tune of $3,600!

As far as I'm concerned my IP already has a colorbond fence.

What to do?? Right now I'm sitting on the fence ;)

2. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

If the asbestos fence is on the property line - could you go halves in removal of old fence, and then moving your colorbond fence to run along the property line. This would save you the cost of a new fence (just pay the removal of one and moving of the other)?

dreamgirl likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Tell then to put up a fence on their side of the asbestos! Sandwich the evil demon in there forever!
    Why did the fence get put up that way in the first place? Maybe they didn't want to come the party to begin with

JenJen and dreamgirl like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Most likely to conceal the fact from prospective buyers "look, new fences..."

Does your council have incentives for the removal of asbestos? Pay for 1/2 the asbestos removal cost & leave the fence.

dreamgirl, bob shovel and vbplease like this.
  5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I agree - go halves in removing the asbestos and keep the colorbond as is. There's no benefit in moving it other than claiming back the boundary.. The colorbond fence being inside your boundary doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment? I'm sure the neighbour wouldn't mind in having the extra land for now?

dreamgirl and bob shovel like this.
  6. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

If the asbestos is in good condition/ painted etc than you probably don't need to spend any $$- depends on your relationship with neighbor and any local asbestos removal incentives as snm says. I'd prob say- "I have a fence so no action req'd from my side?"
    Good luck, Wal

dreamgirl likes this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If you choose this path, then you should take some action to avoid any attempt at an adverse possession claim in future.

Adverse possession can occur if a neighbour uses your land without your permission. After 15 years, they have a very strong claim to the land if they have been using it. I think you just have to acknowledge your ownership and their use in a formal means (get legal advice anyway).

Who cares about. 15cm of land, you ask? Well, in Richmond Melbourne, that's a pretty expensive sliver these days.

dreamgirl likes this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If previous owner had to erect a fence themselves, maybe it was because the other side would not come to the party prior.

If the asbestos fence is in good order, I would say a fence exists, ask them why they want to change it, then you can decide from there.

dreamgirl likes this.
  9. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Member

Thanks everyone! Such a wise bunch :)
    Will keep you posted...

10. JenJen

JenJen Well-Known Member

Hi Dreamgirl
    I'm not sure whether this applies in Vic or not, but in Queensland, you are only required to go halves if the fence is in a state of disrepair/damaged, or does not meet certain council planning requirements e.g. unapproved height. If the fence is in o.k. condition and functional, and you are happy with your existing fence, and there is no other requirement to replace it (e.g. via local government), then it becomes a preference to replace it, which is negotiable. You should be able to check your relevant fencing laws online.
    Cheers
    Jen

dreamgirl likes this.
  11. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Member

Thanks Jen, I'm actually in NSW so I'll check the fencing laws here.

JenJen likes this.
  12. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

What's the condition of the old asbestos fence? If it is falling apart then you may be liable to contribute to it's removal which might not be cheap. I would want to dig a little deeper and find out why the previous owner put up another fence adjacent to the old one. Did the neighbour not want to share the cost?

dreamgirl likes this.
  13. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Pretty sure asbestos removals in rentals are treated as an expense and can be claimed back in first year.

dreamgirl likes this.