Asbestos Certificate not provided after works

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by willister, 19th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Please help!!

Engaged in a demolisher to remove a small shed with asbestos roof sheeting. On the website he clearly states he can remove asbestos and was provided on the quote itself. However, after multiple attempts in trying to get an asbestos clearance certificate he has not provided one.

My strategy is to employ an independent asbestos assessor to do up a check and provide a clearance certificate...happy to fork out the extra few hundred if required but this would seem like a better insurance? If he finds any debris or asbestos lying around then I can get someone else to remove it?

Thanks.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If you didn’t get what you paid for in the first instance then lodge a complaint with the relevant authority.

I’d first ask him why and then tell him you are going to complain if he gives you any bull.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Why do you need the certificate ?
    Peace of mind/sale/rental/other

Can you see bits of cement sheet style of material around?
    Did you witness the removal/how it was removed ?
    Any pics of the area ???

A certificate for shed removal won't mean the rest of the property is deemed asbestos free....

You do have an invoice that proves removal from that area if req'd....

Firefly99 likes this.
  4. willister

Peace of mind and its a rental.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If it was under 10m3 you might not need one.

In Vic the clearance certificate is supposed to be provided by a company independent of the demolition company.

So maybe they are dodging this additional cost.

All they do is look for visable pieces of asbestos at tbe inspection (you could have a look, watering the area down prior will help make any grey bits more visable and help keep it from becoming airborne).

Or as per @datto tell them you require a cert as it is a rental property, if they can't supply one as agreed you will have to seek advice from workcover :p

If all else fails, get a quote from a mob like attached below (I have no affiliation)

Attached Files:

datto likes this.
  6. willister

From memory it was about 5 x 2.1m?

Would those blokes (Greenlight) come after the fact though - i.e. about 1.5 weeks after its been removed? Seems like the easiest path if they do this and I just want the extra assurance?

Thanks.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In Vic (from what I've read) the removal contractor can't issue a clearance certificate !
    Is has to be an independent company that provides the certificate.

Greenlight was one of the first that popped up in my search of companies that only test/check and issue certificates (don't do removal).

Again, I'd pursue the removal contractor first :cool:

Otherwise hose the area, then see what if any grey pieces if any you can see in the area first.

If you want/need total clarity get in touch with Greenlight and ask just how much.............:eek:
    You may change your mind :oops:

Good luck ;)

Firefly99 likes this.
  8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Yes exactly this.

9. willister

So finally got a clearance certificate...however, seems...weird? Doesn't seem legit to me? Just a name and no credentials whatsoever. Just given a name and title as some occupational hygienist?

But apparently in Vic according to the Greenlight website:

"In Victoria or Melbourne, a ‘competent person’ must carry out clearance inspections which is someone with sufficient training and experience to identify the relevant hazards. There are examples in the industry of unqualified people issuing clearance certificates. As a minimum, ensure that your inspector has, as a minimum:

• A tertiary qualification in science, engineering or occupational hygiene;
    • Works for an occupational hygiene company such as Greenlight;
    • Is not a former or current asbestos removalist; and ideally,
    • Has been issued with an asbestos assessors license by one of the states (note: currently Victoria does not issue asbestos assessors licenses, however, all other states do).
    If the inspector has been issued with a license, then their competence has been independently vetted by Work Safe based on a review of their past work and qualifications.

The asbestos clearance certificate should clearly state the qualifications of the inspector towards the front of the document. If this is not stated, the person may not be regarded as competent and the document itself is non-compliant.

Second opinion from Greenlight seem like a good idea? Given the above seems to render that certificate almost useless.

Years ago I had another asbestos removal at our old joint, it was basically a 1 pager but the bloke had credentials and all. Given Greenlight's webpage says a 1 pager style isn't worth the paper it's written on even that seems just like a rubber stamp procedure?

Thanks.