Artwork

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TerryN, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Was able to rescan this drawing with my new scanner (just a cheap one but much better than my 10 year old model)and it turned out a lot closer to the original drawing so I will repost it. HB1.jpg

Ted Varrick, MTR and Jess Peletier like this.
  2. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

I like to do a bit of artistic Blacksmithing when I have the time. This is an old copper tub I put some ironwork to. I have quite a few of these around the place.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Handyandy, Propagate, wylie and 3 others like this.
  3. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

Here's an old kitchen cabinet I restored a few years ago.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

jim1964, Bonz, Ted Varrick and 2 others like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

IMG_1380.JPG I just finished this tonight. This is the first "girlie" I've done in aluminium. Each piece was cut, shaped, edges folded, drilled and riveted.

Television, Lizzie, Ambit and 2 others like this.
  5. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

This looks great wylie. Is there a lot more work using that method rather than the ceramics? A woman I've known since school does lots of interesting projects with broken mirror pieces and it looks (to me at least) that method would also suit the busts?Again well done wylie. Regards Terry.

6. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Great work Dylan33. Well done.I also do quite a bit of woodwork but just rough stuff from timber I salvage for our worksites.(pallets,etc)Do you have other pics of other projects you have done?Regards Terry.

7. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

I like the look of this piece Dylan.Would make a great woodbox for an open fireplace I built under my pergola.I have an old copper tub I use for that purpose without the added bits that your's has.When I was a kid that was our source of hot water.Different days then.Regards Terry.

Dylan33 likes this.
  8. wylie

I've done glass and also have a mirror girl. And it is a lot of work. I'm aching all over from bending (though I mix it up - sit and stand) and my hands are aching from cutting the aluminium, drilling and pop riveting). But I've enjoyed seeing it come together. It is very mesmerizing and enjoyable. And keeps me off the streets. :p

TerryN likes this.
  9. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean about the bending and aching wylie.I've been a bricklayer since just before my 15th birthday and am turning 64 tomorrow so it has been quite a long journey for me,although I do have a bit of a break from the bending when we build our own projects,although we do a lot of other types of labour on them.Regards Terry.

10. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

I'll include a snap of our current project at Coffs Harbour.It is a two townhouse project which is keeping us pretty busy at the moment. RenderedFinish.jpg

wylie likes this.
  11. wylie

fullsizeoutput_2b28.jpeg Just finished another project. I'm enjoying this metal work as much as the glass work.

hobo, TerryN, Sackie and 3 others like this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Wow @wylie how do you do this one? Looks amazing

13. wylie

Thanks. I think it looks pretty good too. :D

It is aluminium, every edge folded, placed, drilled, riveted. Over the top of a store mannequin.

fullsizeoutput_2a9e.jpeg

Sackie and EN710 like this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Very nice and artistic :)

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Surely you make money from your art pieces.......When I build my home.. I would love to commission you to create a few pieces for me!

wylie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

These are seriously very good. Do you do any other designs?

17. wylie

Some of my previous work is further back in the thread (page 1). I've sold a few through eBay.

It is like giving away a favourite thing though. I've sold some I wish I'd hung onto, but we have enough around the house that people visiting for the first time (I'm told by our kids) have asked "what's with all the bodies?".

Like most art though, it doesn't pay well. When I add the number of hours I would spend, take off the cost of materials and divide it by the sale price, it isn't a great hourly rate. But doing something I enjoy and being able to make a little profit on top at least makes me feel I've not worked all those hours for nothing.

It is like doing a jigsaw puzzle. It is fun, then it gets annoying, then close to finished, I just want to see the finished product. When I don't enjoy it, I'll stop.

TerryN, EN710 and Sackie like this.
  18. Lightie

Lightie Member

Mccracken has a mean gas tank.
    Nice **** man

19. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Thanks mate,I'll pass the compliment on to him tomorrow evening as we will be doing a bit of training while I'm home for a few days.(working up the coast at the moment)Anthony does have a very good motor as you said.Regards Terry.

20. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

I find much the same thing when I'm doing a project wylie. Usually get off to a good start then (depending on whether I'm drawing,doing mosaic work,or woodwork)a loss of enthusiasm somewhere in the middle and then get very keen once the project is taking shape and I can visualize the end result.

wylie likes this.