Artwork

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TerryN, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone on the site shares an interest in art (confined to graphite drawing so far in my case) I have been drawing for the last few years and am gradually improving a little (I think).It is a slow process as I have quite a few other interests (mosaic art and woodworking been two) and not the time to put into them unfortunately.I also coach boxing at our local PCYC and have done quite a few boxing related drawings.I'll try to include a few drawings here for interest's (or not) sake,and maybe anyone who also likes to draw and sketch might do the same.I'm not familiar with uploading multiple images so could need instructions. Hopefully it is ok to do so. Regards Terry.

Attached Files:

Luckycharm, teetotal, EN710 and 3 others like this.
  2. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Looks like that didn't work so will just try to post one image at a time. LvH2.jpg

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is very good. I'd be very happy if I could draw like that.

TerryN likes this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Really good work!

TerryN likes this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

These ones come up as a download. They're excellent!

TerryN likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Hey you're pretty good. That's Leonard vs Hearns.

I used to spar all the top boxers at a local boys club. Even entered a competition once but had to pull out due to a sprained ankle.

7. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Thanks datto,I've been in the game for a long time now (over 50 years)first as a fighter and these days as a trainer.I currently train a pro Cruiserweight who was rated no1 in his division in Australia and NZ and then substained a serious eye injury.His name is Anthony McCracken and has been out for the last 18 months.(detached retina)He has received the ok from the doctor to recommence boxing and we are looking for a bout in a couple of months for him.I will include a clip from the Super 8's over in Auckland when he won the Oceania,Pan African and Asian Pacific Titles against David Aloua a very good boxer who had knocked out Brad Pitt in his previous bout (Pitt's only pro loss)It was a very tough bout but Anthony finished it in the 7th round after been under a lot of pressure earlier in the fight.As for the artwork,it is very relaxing for me after laying bricks during the day and then the boxing of an evening.Regards Terry.

EN710 and datto like this.
  8. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Thank you Wattleldo,probably not quite true but I'll take it anyway.ha,ha.I do find the drawing very absorbing and hope to keep improving as I get more time to spend on it eventually.I have a gallery on a art site and of course my efforts are very mediocre compared to some of the others,but you have to start at the start I suppose.I hope you are settling into the town ok and are not suffering too much home sickness as I think most country people probably do.Have you been doing some running?There are some good tracks around the place although the river one is probably the best at this time of the year.Regards Terry.

datto likes this.
  9. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Thanks Wattleldo,I was hoping that maybe some other members of the site might also do some artwork as well and put some of their work up for interest.I'm not sure if I included any mosaic work in the slideshow thing (put it together too quickly to remember)but I have also done quite a few of those as well and I have them all over the place under my back pergola.I also built a fireplace from very old recycled bricks and got some scrape timber and built a bench each side of it.It is a very rustic affair but I like that style.I will get a photo of it if you are interested.Here are two of my mosaic pieces (boxing related of course.ha,ha) in case I didn't put any in with the others.Regards Terry.

Attached Files:

EN710, bob shovel, samiam and 2 others like this.
  10. wylie

I used to do leadlighting before having kids (as a hobby) and about ten years ago I started doing mosaic busts. I sold one via eBay to the US to a plastic surgeon for his reception area and sold another three or so to various parts of Australia. I stopped and haven't done one for a few years, but am itching to do one and will start soon. I just have to get some other stuff out of the way first.

fullsizeoutput_1eef.jpeg wall girl.JPG back yard boy 3.JPG Maroon girl sold.jpg DSC04712.JPG mirror girl.JPG

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Or busting to do one?

Corkey, Magnet and bob shovel like this.
  12. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Hello wylie,they are just sensational,well done.I'm also very keen on the mosaics and often tell the tilers on site that I will keep the off cuts etc,if I like the colour. They usually just scratch their heads as if to say "silly old bugger" but they are happy to have me cleaning up after them.ha,ha.Again wylie,they are really well done.I can see how they would be very easy to sell.Regards Terry.

Gockie likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wow Terryn and Wylie
    very talented

TerryN likes this.
  14. wylie

Thanks TerryN. They aren't really easy to sell though. Unless I nearly give them away. But that is like most art that is time consuming. Nobody really appreciates the number of hours that goes into such pieces. I love your mosaics too.

We have also just tackled another project this week. I've always quote enjoyed decoupage (but not the "nanna" flowery stuff), but never really completed any. I did one torso but never finished it. So needing, a cupboard in our house, I bought a cheapie, sanded it back with the view to painting it and decoupaging, but we decided to stick with the half-sanded, shabby look and now it just needs a matt finish sealer.

EN710 likes this.
  15. wylie

16. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

That looks great wylie. My wife has done a few pieces but nothing like this.It is a great craft and the results are wonderful.I also do quite a bit of woodwork,and just grab left over bits and pieces from the worksites.I suppose you are right about the value of crafts wylie,most people probably don't really know how much time and effort goes into them(especially when buying.ha,ha)Lots of friends say to me "you should sell those"etc,but I would rather just give the drawings,mosaics,woodwork pieces away to family and friends when they need a special piece of furniture or a drawing to hang somewhere,etc.I find that much more rewarding than selling something.For instance I'll enclose a link to a drawing of a girl who we knew all of her short and tragic life,until she died of a drug overdose at the age of 35.We are great friends with her mother and on the first anniversary of her death I did this drawing for her.It wasn't that the quality was all that good but just the fact that I thought enough of her to spend the time to do it I think.Regards Terry.

Attached Files:

• JJ.jpg
      JJ.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    Mel Morgan, sanj and wylie like this.
  17. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I love those mosaics you've done - they're awesome!

TerryN likes this.
  18. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

Thank you MTR. Moderately talented in my case would be more accurate but your generous description certainly does fit wylie's mosaic creations.They are very good.Regards Terry.

MTR likes this.
  19. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm an art fan, love to paint.
    Personally I love tattooing the history of tattooing and drawing tattoo based flash art.
    Have not tattooed probably won't tattoo as I'm getting old

Attached Files:

EN710, WattleIdo, TerryN and 3 others like this.
  20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow we have some great artists! :)

I have a piece on display :cool: i had some spare time many moons ago and started painting. I prefer landscapes but had a friends dad's 60th so instead of getting a crap gift i painted a picture:D .... it's proudly hung on the dunny wall! Each year we get around for a bbq with mates and everyone gets to enjoy my work

Attached Files: