NSW Artarmon - is this a good investment

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sigemup, 1st Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

From a property manager point of view, the property appears well located to transport and well presented, kitchen has everything from dishwasher to gas cooking, and even laundry has been brought internal. However the property is not big and the carspace means there's no garage for storage, making it easy for a tenant to 'grow out' of of the property, plus the lack of outdoor space or balcony makes it not as attractive.

However upon closer inspection, those windows are not standard, the rear of the property is very close to Pacific Hwy - is the property impacted by traffic noise? That may impact its future desirability/rentability/capital growth (once the market wakes up again).

John_BridgeToBricks and Sigemup like this.
  3. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  4. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

I know that street, and it is nice there. There is some noise from Pacific Highway, but the impact would depend on where in the block the property is situated.

For me, I dislike the layout, three things in particular:

1) 54 sqm internal is quite small.
    2) No internal laundry (I can see they have tried to integrate with the kitchen, but it's not the same); and
    3) No outdoor area / ie no balcony. This is a bigger point. For me you need this.

If it were my money, I would pass on this property. There are neighbouring suburbs where you can get more bang for $650k.

I like Artarmon a lot, and it is where I got my start in property. So there is a lot to be said for that. Just have a think about how important it is to be in that particular patch, and if you have flexibility, I would try to stretch my money further elsewhere in this particular instance.

Sackie, Jamesaurus and Propertunity like this.
  5. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I agree with John,
    good start with the bare bones small block of 6 but on the other hand yes you'd ideally get a bigger m2 for your cash. I wouldnt rush

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There's plenty of older style walk-up units in Artarmon which are quite spacious - we previously lived in a 2BR unit on Broughton Rd which had a 5mx5m lounge / dining area, plus a balcony.

There may be scope to buy something like this in need of some work and spend some money doing it up to add value / increase rent?

I haven't done the numbers to work out how this type of activity currently stacks up in Artarmon though.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia