Arrogant selling agent

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Samj, 3rd Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

I am in the process of buying a property and it's still waiting for finance. Selling agent has found two buyers who apparently happy to pay more. Now he is keep annoying me asking if I want to walk way a few times every other day. He has been arrogant from the beginning. Build and pest found termite damages. When I ask ask anything from him, always what he says is walk away if you don't want.

Today I have had enough with him and asked him not to call me back. I have got my building and pest unconditional, and finance is a few days away. Is there anything bad he can do to me because I do not want any communication from him?

Finance should be fine and only thing I may need from him is the pre settlement inspection. Property is currently tenanted, so it would be ok even without a pre settlement inspection. Other than that, can he do any bad to me?

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2021
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Where's the part in the story where the agent is being arrogant?

And isn't your question best answered by your conveyancing solicitor?

El Patron and SeafordSunshine like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The selling agent works for the seller.
    They found people willing to pay more than you (but you have an exchanged contract).
    So they are asking whether you if you want to drop out, and sell for more and get more for the seller, who is paying them.

dont see the arrogance. If you were the seller you want an agent like this?

El Patron likes this.
  4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

You should be over the moon that he is 'harassing' you or "being arrogant".. it means that you have effectively paid under market for the property i.e. assuming that it is true there are buyers wanting to pay a lot more than you.

Just make sure you get your conveyancer to communicate b&p and finance is ok, if they don't, the seller can terminate the contract.

5. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

I got this earlier this year. Apparently 5 over my price, I just politely told her to chill out and called her bluff and simoly said I have X amount of time in contract to hit requirements and I will be buying the property. Then they screwed up at the end and asked for an extension on settlement. It was quite ironic. But don't burn the bridge. Ever

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree that it sounds like this was a great buy.

But it used to be that if you didn't ask to be rescind the contract due to B&P or finance, that it was assumed these had gone through, ie. if you say nothing, you go unconditional once the deadline passes.

Has that changed (I've not bought anything for years)?

7. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was the advice our conveyancer gave us last time we bought - make sure you get the communication through, otherwise they are within their rights to cancel the contract.. I think it would only be a problem in a case like the OP's where the seller would want to rescind.. otherwise no communication would be fine

8. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

Tell him your willing to negotiate a sale after you take ownership (if the price is good enough). Pocket the difference. Move onto next deal.

9. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

It is better to negotiate a sale before settlement and avoid stamp duty.

Clean Cookie likes this.
  10. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

Good point

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you don’t need an extension to the contract.
    The vendor can refuse.

Samj likes this.
  12. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Thanks!

It's gone unconditional now.

I don't like burning bridges but this person is has gone over the limit. Seller agreed to remove a tree before the settlement. But, what they have done is just cutting and leaving it in the backyard.

Yesterday he called me to check how is my finance approval going. Then I asked if sellers are going to remove the branches, he flared up and started screaming. I was helping my son for home schooling and I didn't want anyone screaming at me over the phone. So I asked him not call me if he can't talk in a decent manner and I hang on.

The only thing I need from him is the pre-settlement inspection. Apparently agent cannot refuse that
    Inspections

13. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Look, an agent who isn't arrogant is like an agent who isn't a liar. It's part of the job requirements. Seems you got a good deal, tell the agent to be respectful and remind him that one day you will sell, and talk to other people to sell. Also leave a negative review on social media and other review sites.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've worked with many agents and most aren't arrogant. They generally want to get a good outcome for their client and themselves.

Of course some buyers will be annoyed by agents. They're supposed to do what is best for their client, the seller.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2021
  15. Trainee

It seems strange behavior for an agent, and remember this is from one perspective only.

if a contract is unconditional, the agent gets paid. Why would they get angry at the buyer?

16. B7B

B7B Well-Known Member

I would say the new offer is substantially higher so the agent stands to make even more if he could get the contract cancelled.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Would be peanuts to make the little extra and risk cancelling a contact in hand? Nup. Most sane agents would never do that.

wylie likes this.
  18. Trainee

This is all from the op’s pov.

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Some agents seem to get more arrogant in a hot market. They don't really need a purchaser (in their mind) that is hard to deal with.

As for the cut tree in the back yard, mention it to your solicitor, and tell them you won't settle until it's moved. No need to talk to the agent.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Maybe playing tougher as it's a sellers market and buyers really have crap all leeway atm.