Technology & Social Media ArgghhH!!! NBN Woes....

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 30th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

apparently we are very much NOT alone

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I guess we used all of our NBN luck up on the last house, after hearing so many horror stories in our old estate of people taking forever to get connected and when eventually connected getting speeds slower than the ADSL it replaced we held out as long as possible (our ADLSO was pretty good).

When we did swap it was all done and dusted in a few days, no hassles, good speed, no drop outs etc.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Well - just got txt saying appointment for tomorrow. Hoping but not hopeful.

Not sure whether it was common sense - or me stating, in writing, that I will be pursing NBN for $300 compensation (cost of 180gb on dongle) per day until connection and/or suing for $20,000 if I miss out on a contract (guests in property for 50 days, starting today, who must have the internet for work or will go elsewhere) ... be good if it were the former

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Your "lack of common sense" and "lack of planning" story reminded when we had issues with hooking up cable (not NBN), and we'd had a couple of failed starts, ended up escalating things and finally a tech turned up who understood what was to be done and he used common sense to work out how to connect to a different area on our wall and also the other side of the street pole to avoid cutting across our neighbour's corner.

Neighbour had given consent to cut over the corner as has always been the case, but it was preferable to avoid the problem so finally... finally we had it sorted but the tech who took initiative to make the tweaks actually then said he could do all this and "make it work" TODAY except the ladder he needed for the street pole was a two man lift and he was on his own.

I nearly cried. I grabbed hubby who was visiting someone in the street and he lifted it with the techie. Then techie said he couldn't run the new cable through the tree that the current cable ran through. I got hubby into that tree and he cut the offending branches, whilst tech called out from the ladder up the pole "careful", "don't fall" and other helpful things. :rolleyes:

But I wasn't letting him leave and would have taken his van keys if I could have to ensure he stayed until it was sorted.

Last edited: 15th May, 2019
    Anthony416, Propagate and Lizzie like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

... and the frustration of trying to explain someone, in another country, with an accent that is hard to get your ears around that the thing they say is BLACK is actually WHITE. Explaining something six or seven times as you are transferred or call another time, or the line drops out and you call and start it all over again because, goodness, you cannot possibly get a direct number and they don't call you back if the call drops out.

And we aren't even trying to hook up with NBN yet. That fun is yet to come. It won't be pretty.

Lizzie likes this.
  6. Propagate

So, there are definitely no new pits on my property or anywhere near it.

There are 3 original pits close to the end of my driveway, one right at the end of the drive, one about 5 meters up the road and one on the other side of the road.

I got the lids off the two furthest away, no change from last time, (no DPU in the closet one and a DPU in the one way over on the other side of the street that's no good to us).

I could not get the lid off the pit at the end of the drive to check if they've splice a DPU into it (this was the out that just had a fibre cable running straight through). It is possible they've splice a DPU into this one but it doesn't look like that lid has been lifted for some time as it has grass growing over the seams and covered in dirt.

So, I'm at a complete loss as to what NBN have "fixed" in order for us to be able to connect, just have to wait until this afternoon when the NBN chap promised to call me back to see if he has been able to find anything out. Mean time, I need to find a pit key so I can take a peak and see if there's a DPU in the one at the end of the drive (and even if there is, this pit I paced out at 160 meters away form the Telstra entry point on the property so too far away anyway!).

Fed up.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Look on the positive side. In years to come you'll be able to relate tales to your grandkids about how easy they have it. Now in my day.....

Sorry :oops:

8. Propagate

@SatayKing I'll have to bore someone elses grand kids with the tale, we don't have kids - that's assuming it ever gets installed by then! At this rate we'll have the tech to beam the internet directly into your brain before this gets sorted out.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Just be glad they're not forcing you onto satellite, like they did for us for two years.

My tech is here now and said he won't leave until connected. Something with cables is still not right, but suspect they got 'pinched' just like the good old days

10. Propagate

Hope you're up and running before the day is out @Lizzie

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Apparently it's all working - tech did two separate tests and they both showed an excellent connection - although the cynic in me still doesn't quite trust it.

Took all of 15 mins ... so that's 7 weeks, three appointments and 9 hours of phone calls I won't get back. Waiting to find out what my "life lesson" was - think it might have re-taught me be firm and determined but always polite

Now to work on your problem!

Propagate and geoffw like this.
  12. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Technology is so much fun. A friend and I are moving our businesses out of our homes and into a shop. After weeks of requesting an install date and already paying rent for the space, we finally get an install date, and notification that the Telstra box will be delivered shortly. Turns out it was delivered by courier to the shop last week. There was no one in the shop (well derr, we have no internet man), so he sent the package back to Telstra instead of to the post office, saying that the business has shut down. So now we have to wait for the package to arrive back at Telstra's warehouse and then they will send it back out again. Let's see if they make another attempt to deliver it to our empty office. No brains.

13. Propagate

Oh bummer @beachgurl - bit like when we got our new mobile phones, they tried to deliver them and couldn't as we were away so they got left at the post office, but because they had been "delivered" they turned off the old sim cards, so we were both away for several days and suddenly had no phone service until we got home, got the new phones from the post office and activated the new cards (same number, was an upgrade). Gave them a serve for that one, who's bright idea was that!

Still waiting for my phone call.....

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Very strange. An email from the ISP advising it has been monitoring my NBN performance. Supposedly not giving the "full" performance. Not that I've noticed any difference and don't care.

I guess ISP's are running scared of the complaints department over it.

So I rang the number. Before the call centre got well into apologetic mode, pulled them up short. Said I don't care so don't touch or do anything and in any case the ISP can only use the infrastructure built and available to it. If it's crap infrastructure then nothing much the ISP can do to improve it.

I was amused how the tone of the operator lifted. No point in abusing a person if they didn't actually dig the trench.

Lizzie and Propagate like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try speedtest.net to check your line speed

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That was the attitude I took to. The issue was with nbn, not the isp. amazing how much help you get when taking that stance

17. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Im wondering if any of these constellation satellite systems being planned (launched tonight etc) will overtake the NBN in Australia due to the lack of hassle setting up a sat link.....

We can only hope.

18. Propagate

Well, I'm in limbo again. I spent 30 minutes on hold with the ISP last night, got through, went through the hole scenario again, she went off to talk to her supervisor and cut me off instead of putting me on hold!

Called back, another 30 minutes on hold, talked to a friendly enough chap, he read through all the notes, went off to his supervisor, came back and said that although NBN have told the ISP that they have "fixed" the issue and that the ISP can go ahead and make the connection appointment hos supervisor wont let him book the appointment as they want to know what NBN has actually done to fix it, so they have raised a ticket back to NBN requesting further info and won't do anything until they get a response from NBN.

I asked him just to book the appointment anyway then seeing as NBN are saying it's fixed, at least that way I'm in the queue, that way when NBN respond if they say it is fixed we're already in the queue but if it's not fixed they can just cancel the appointment, but his supervisor wouldn't let him.

He assured me it's been escalated with the ISP as high as it can go, it's is now on the Senior's and Supervisors watch list and I should get an update n 24-48 hours.

I'm going to make a tool tonight to lift the pit lid, there's only one it left that I can't get the lid off to take a look and it's the only place they could have put in a DPU to fix the problem (they were supposed to come and put a new pit up our drive nearer the house but that has definitely not happened). If there's a DPU in this last pit (that wasn't there before as I've been in that pit), then it is fixed. If there's no DPU there then who know's exactly what NBN have supposedly "fixed".

At this rate the satellites @Dean Collins speaks of will be ready before we get a working internet connection.

How's yours @Lizzie - working? (hopefully).

Dean Collins likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Mine must be working beautifully as no complaints from guest ... I feel for you, and how hard it is to be patient with the ISP staff - but remember, there is nothing they can do and it's not their fault. Although I now feel exhausted from the whole thing.

Escalate it and ask for a Case Manager - that way you actually get someone in Australia, who speaks Australian and understands how it all works in Australia - does wonders for the stress levels. They don't have any more power than to raise the issue with the wholesaler (Telstra), who then raises the issue with NBN, but things did happen very quickly when he got in the picture. I also made a complaint via the TIO - and let NBN know via their complaints email - which might have helped.

The really frustrating part is there is no one to call at NBN to simply find out what's happening - even the ISP doesn't have anyone to call as it has to go thru Telstra first

The tech yesterday was an old Telstra tech. He and I pined for, and lamented about, how easy is all was in the "good old days"

Propagate likes this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As far as I can tell, performance of satellite systems is nowhere up to NBN, especially for upload speeds. Capacity may also be an issue.