Technology & Social Media ArgghhH!!! NBN Woes....

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 30th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Unsuccessful investors?

2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

More likely successful ones who don't need to work full time, or for that matter at all.

RS Gumby likes this.
  3. RS Gumby

BAM!!!

TAJ likes this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I just work more annoying days technically. Need days off to baby sit these nbn jokers currently.

5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

@SatayKing - It's my company, I can do what I like whilst I'm in here ;)

@The Y-man - not being charged by iiNet as of yet, but they flat out refused to give me a wireless dongle to get me by until they fix the issue, The said they can only give those to people that HAD a working connection that has failed for some reason, but as they were never able to supply me a working connection in the first place they have no options available to me

I got the Spintel wireless set up yesterday. Set up was PAINLESS. Modem already has an activated sim in it with your account details, you literally just plug it in, turn it on and within a second or two we had wireless intranet., we're in a little black spot so I can't get a lock on the 2300mhz for the 12meg download speed, best I can get is 5.

Having said that, there's only two of us and we're not power users. 5mb appears fine for Netlfix and HD movie rentals though the Fetch TV plus the internet Fetch TV channels as tested last night, so I guess it should also be plenty fast enough for Emmas VPN into work.

Was $179 for the modem with Spintel and $39 per month for 250gb with no lock in. The modem can take any data sim so it's a good back up for the future anyway and the speed is enough to get us by until NBN get the fingers out. Not ideal, but it's a working solution for now.

Even if I can lock onto the 2300mhz band Optus throttle these third party data providers to 12mbt. So frustrating as my Optus mobile phone data speed test runs north of 100mb!! We only get 47-49 on the office fibre to the premise (largely because we only pay for a 50mb connection mind you, but that's $120 per month and doesn't include calls).

My parents are here from the UK at the moment, you realize what a joke the NBN roll out has been when Dad nonchalantly remarks that they get 250 meg download "is that good?" he says....

With 5G on the cards and my iPhone able to run at over 100mb on 4g already then I wonder if NBN days are numbered before they even finish rolling out? If heaps of people move to 5G and that frees up the 4G band then hopefully the speed restrictions on the data sims will be lifted up to more like 50-100 making cheap mobile broadband a very viable solution.

The Y-man and Hodor like this.
  6. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Had some people noticed that prior to the nbn debacle, that their adsl line had been working fine, but then become slower and slower to the point it was unusable, and that is what prompted them to enquire about nbn service ? Helped by tv and postal advertising.

And then when a technician come out to 'solve' the problem, it then became worse or was then not working at all ?

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I feel your pain.
    As a developer I have to give 20 weeks notice for either Telstra or NBN depending on the area to put in new provisions - and pay handsomely.
    I am building 3 units in a suburb that was Telstra but was due to be NBN from January. As such Telstra wouldn't take an application and advised to lodge application with NBN which seemed fair enough.
    Fast forward to yesterday when enquiries with NBN for update on services as units will be finished in 5 weeks. Annndddd the NBN is not finished and won't be until July-Sept.
    So yup going to have nothing for my tenants in 5 weeks. Thankfully I am an old hand at this and will throw a Vivid (now Optus) wireless modem into the complex and they can use that until NBN is done.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

All the evidence points to a completely unnecessary waste of money. Not to mention time and resources. We had a system that was working fine, and where only one of six or could be one of eight wires from the telstra lines were being used for adsl. This had speeds of 15mb and possibly much higher on adsl. Using ONE wire. This was fast enough for over 95% of the population and had been working fine. The reality is that 95% of the population had no need or desire to conect to the nbn. So then guess what happened and why.....

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's only if someone applies for a service (or are you providing NBN to the tenants)?

10. Westminster

They could chose not to connect - that is true. They may prefer wireless internet, using their phone or plain old nothing.

11. Propagate

So frustrated at the moment, the wireless modem gets me 3mbts at best, I can't even get through a 20 minute comedy on Catchup just now without it freezing. It's so slow that my e-mail doesn't like it and wont send anything (uploud speed is fractions of a mbit).

Thankfully it's just fast enough to allow Emma to VPN in to work and work from home still.

Latest update from NBN is their clvil crew are booked in to come dig up my driveway and install the pit "sometime after June 4th"....

Once civils are done they still have to comeback and patch the new pit to the existing house line, then activate my NBN account at the ISP. I'm not holding my breath that we'll have internet inside of 12 months from when I first put the order in.

12. RS Gumby

Where do you live? The middle of the desert?:D

Propagate likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nah, they get Skynet.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our upstairs Foxtel box, brand new telephone and modem and router all got fried in last weeks' storm. Neighbours say the power pole was hit by lightning. Big bank, blue flash, sizzling sound from the pole. All houses with wiring from that pole had fried appliances.

I've just got new mode and router this afternoon and plugged them in, and they aren't working. Poor chap on the phone asked me to try a different cable plug so I unplugged it all again, carried it downstairs with him on speakerphone. Not working there either. Carried it all back upstairs and still not working. But internet is working today in our street (so he said). I want to throw them all through a window.

We've had outages for about a month due to NBN going into our area, so things have been patchy anyway before the big storm.

Neighbour decided with router and modem etc fried, it was the time to get NBN. He got it installed yesterday but he still has no internet as his new connection isn't working. I want to go back to pen and paper. It is SO frustrating.

15. Propagate

You'd think so wouldn't you!

There's 3 of us in a battleaxe formation, just under 3 acres each. There's 3 long drives (one each) all next to each other.

When NBN put the street infrastructure in (Fibre to the Curb) they are supposed to put the pits within 50 meters of the existing Telstra house connection. Most of the pits are in the street.

When they did (or rather didn't do) our place, being that the drives are approaching 200 meters long they put a pit only in the middle of the three driveways, 50 meters from that house (which incidentally puts the pit about 10 meters from my front door as his house is the furthest back of the three ).

I can only guess that their thinking at the time was that pit would serve the 3 properties.

The problem is, NBN policy is that they will not bore across a property boundary, even with the permission of the owners who's property the pit is on, so of the three of us only the middle property gets the NBN, me and the other chap on the far driveway cant get it as the pits NBN have assigned to us are over 300 meters away from our houses, way back on the street!

Their other amazing policy is that in order for them to turn back on the ADSL for me (even though we currently have a working landline on the old copper system) they'd have to cancel our NBN order, which would then cancel the civil crew that are coming to put the pit in that they should have put in in the first place, so if we don't just sit tight and see it through we'd be back to square one anyway when they turn the ADSL off.

The next most annoying part is, the guy that built our house built the shed first, (which is closer to the road than the house is), he ran all the services (including phone) to the shed then when the house was finished ran services form the shed to the house. NBN policy is they only have to get the pit to within 50 meters of the existing Telstra box connection to the property, (i.e. in our case the shed), so they are going to go to all the expense of digging up my driveway, laying fiber, putting a pit it then cutting across to pick up the incoming Telstra copper to the shed BUT the shed is about 100 meters from the house, so I'll have an amazing connection at the shed but who know how the guy that built the house connected the shed phone line to the house, that's my weak link when it finally gets connected, I may have to have new cables ran form the shed right up to the house, at my expense of course.

I pulled the face plate off the house phone point the other day to see what the cabling was like, a single thin copper pair, so that's all I've got coming into the house from the shed, who knows if that's enough to connect the NBN box and modem to??

Happy days.

16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Here is the solution for you.

[​IMG]

Propagate likes this.
  17. Propagate

That'd probably give me a stronger signal ;-)

18. Westminster

I’m surprised in an acreage area that you aren’t on the Fixed Wireless NBN. We are on 10 acres and there is absolutely no cabling out here yet we are only 25km from CBD.

19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Trying to get my head around this NBN as sooner or later I'll have to do it.

Even energized myself to go and seek information with those talking heads in the shopping centre. Gees, sales pitch central.

No I don't want your darn modem. I've already got one which in NBN compatible. Do you know the agony of having to reconfigure my SONOS system when modems are changed?

Listen up, fella, I'm a baby boomer and I've paid taxes all my life so.......

Grrrr.

20. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

My HFC NBN connection is due to be active in June for my area so I am starting to look at providers and plans but will probably go with the fastest plan as our household chews up a lot of data as we have Foxtel and daughters who live on the net...

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia