Technology & Social Media ArgghhH!!! NBN Woes....

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 30th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had a tenant quoted around $12k by a carrier for a fibre connection about 1km from their equipment and NBN was 2 years away (sw Sydney suburb).

I fought the design issue and halved the cost. Tenant came back for a owner contribution, I said that they saved them $6k - nothing more said.

The whole thing should have been FTTN/FTTC and user pays beyond there.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    actually it was 10.8K...see below. It's difficult to understand how that cost can be defended.... well, impossible really. not difficult.

Screenshot 2019-07-18 08.35.24.png Screenshot 2019-07-18 08.35.42.png

3. Scott No Mates

For that sum, I'd be asking a few questions like design, break up of the quote, are these contestable works etc.

Have you considered a fibre carrier in your area as an alternative? Have a dial before you dig search, find out if there's a fibre in your street.

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    For that sum, I’d be saying no thanks

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

I received my first "NBN is disconnecting your phone service tomorrow" phone call the other day. They direct you to select '1' to speak with a consultant and prevent disconnection.

NBN isn't due to roll out in our area until March 2020 :oops:

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I decided to change cloud backup providers earlier this year, and so in February I started a new backup of my workstation - including all of my photos and personal videos. All up 3.5TB of data was to be backed up.

I knew my 18/1 ADSL2+ link would struggle - indeed, predictions was that my initial backup would complete some time in 2021 :eek:

So I took great interest in how things would improve with my new 100/40 HFC NBN link ... quite a lot as it turns out.

The first 1.5TB of backups took around 5 months ... the last 2TB took 10 days - finished this morning. Pretty happy with that. Would have been quite a bit quicker, but I had to change the settings on the backup client to ensure that the uplink was being more fully utilised.

7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Well, it was nice while it lasted. NBN went down at 11am this morning. iiNet tech support just told me it's an "infrastructure issue", they are aware of it and current ETA to get back online is 6pm tomorrow.....

8. Scott No Mates

We were off the air last week, some bright spark had hit the copper, our carrier knew nothing about it (so I tracked it down via Telstra) - not NBN's fault we're another 6-12 months away.

9. Propagate

Well, luckily we were back on by diner time last night. Just in time for my treadmill session, would have been a very boring hour staring at a blank TV screen.

10. Scott No Mates

You should invest in a mirror.

11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

There. Fixed it for ya.

Propagate and Scott No Mates like this.
  12. Propagate

.....nah, that'd put me off my dinner. Nobody wants to see a sweaty bearded idiot pounding a treadmill, especially me.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Have been thinking, since it started, that this NBN was simply a massive waste of money and will be obsolete by the time it's completed and that the money would've been better spend maintaining property what was already in the ground and investing in wireless/towers/satellites ... sadly might've been right

Telstra launch fight against NBN amid predicted wholesale price hikes

14. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

How much are you paying for your NBN?

NBN type :NBN50 or NBN100?
    PROVIDER?

15. Scott No Mates

Rack rates.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

NBN planned maintenance is killing me. We are on fixed wireless.

This week we were given no notice by our stupid ISP until I logged a fault then they got back to me that it was because of NBN infrastructure maintenance and it would be intermittently over the next 5 days:
    Outage period 1:
    Start: 08/10/19 7:00AM
    End: 08/10/19 8:00PM

Outage period 2 :
    Start: 09/10/19 7:00AM
    End: 09/10/19 8:00PM

Outage period 3:
    Start: 10/10/19 7:00AM
    End: 10/10/19 9:00PM

Outage period 4:
    Start: 11/10/19 7:00AM
    End: 11/10/19 9:00PM

Outage period 5:
    Start: 12/10/19 7:00AM
    End: 12/10/19 8:00PM

Now they've just sent us an email that more maintenance is required

Considering we run our business from this, it is not good. I've been tethering my phone to use it for data but we have our rural front gate intercom etc hooked up via internet. No internet, no intercom so we won't know to open the gate the get deliveries. Grrrrr

17. Propagate

Crazy huh? We had the same thing a couple of weeks ago, NBN went down, I called the ISP, they looked into it and said "NBN planned infrastructure maintenance" and then told me which days we'd be affected. I said would't have been nice to be informed! They said they don't get to know themselves, apparently the ISP's have been asking for NBN to share this for a long time and they still don't/won't. The only way the ISP gets to find out a planned NBN outage is when the customers connection fails, they call the ISP, the ISP logs into your account and the NBN outage is then shown. Until they log in to your account they simply don't get to know themselves. It's crazy, it must be costing the ISP's a fortune in fielding calls to their tech line that are not warranted as there's nothing they can do and it's not their fault. The poor guy I spoke to said he was over it, he's sick of getting an earful from customers who's NBN has planned outage they weren't informed about when it's nothing to do with the ISP and nothing they can do to let people know in advance. What a way to run a business NBN.

Westminster likes this.
  18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I will be avoiding the NBN for as long as possible :p
    Only in the hope that they fix some of the bugs first, or an alternative becomes available :rolleyes:

What else did we expect, they come and install an oversize pit that isn't square to the footpath or kerb, nor flat or level to the existing ground, then they leave a mess of the area wrecking the grass :mad:

NBN was never going to be a seamless introduction o_O

(it runs underground to the start of our street, then overhead all the way to the end, only 14 houses. #costcutting )

19. Scott No Mates

Why didn't you check the status online? :confused:

By my reckoning, if they guarantee a 99% up time, you will experience 3-4 days over a year for maintenance.

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I did look but I couldn't find anything on the NBNco website that had it. I am hoping I'm wrong as it's painful ringing the bloody ISP to only find out there is nothing actually wrong and they don't seem to be able to search something either.
    I checked my ISP outage database/map and there was nothing on it.