QLD Areas to consider near Brisbane for first house

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ronerlaw, 10th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have often discussed the reasons why North Lakes is superior to Springfield, given they both "look the same."

Springfield has its rail, university and shopping centre etc, but it is out west. Ipswich is terribly cold in Winter and significantly hotter than the coast in Summer.

Anything else? North lakes is so close (40 minutes drive) to the Sunshine Coast surf beaches. NL is ten minute's drive to the beaches at Redcliffe. My tenants at NL rave about the cool breezes in Summer and how pleasant the location is - There are many positives for Springfield, but you cannot do anything to improve climate.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Hi there, i think following major transport infrastructure is the go. Rail stations, and major bus stations. Can you stretch to Rochedale South? Good bus links planned there. Otherwise walking distance to train lines is a really good idea, especially the major stations where the express trains go.

I can't believe there are people saying the climate is different in different suburbs. We are so spoilt that we think a slight variation in winter temp is a climatic difference!! If climatic difference is what you want go up high and get the cool weather in the summer months. As much as 5 degrees cooler in summer when you get up over 500m. Have to consider Maleny or Mt Tamborine to get it

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Best climate.... Stick to bayside. I'm thinking Manly and down the coast in the Redlands council area. Winters are very nice because the bay keeps the chill from being too overbearing, and the summers are a bit cooler with the ocean breezes...

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's alright Gockie, Bogans aren't supposed to comprehend these finer points about the quality of living.

( *Last time I used the word Bogan I got into heaps of trouble)

5. Lightning

Lightning Member

Agree, if you can get your budget above 500K you can get in much closer. Stafford, for example has older houses but still large blocks and 15-20 mins into the city. I imagine you would certainly see better CG then Springfield or NL. Depends on what is important to you though,

samiam likes this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Stafford nothing much for 500k anymore but i know where you're coming from

7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

To OP.

>Build a new house
    >Gain equity
    Pick one.

You are not going to be able to afford to get a piece of land that is in any sort of good position and build on it for 450k. You are going to be out in the areas where there is lots of supply of land, poorly serviced by public transport. And your house is going to be just like all of the other houses being built for the next 5 to 10 years around you.
    Additionally your house is going to be made out of cheap Chinese materials structurally and interior wise it won't be a particularily good asset. Certainly not in the price range you are talking about.

Buy a house in Strathpine. Close to the train. Nothing too renovated. You might even get lucky and find something in bracken ridge. The bones will be better than today's new builds and having a seventies kitchen isn't the end of the world. The lime green benchtop will be nice and solid.

You are going to have much more options with an established house if it is not a low set brick you will be able to do things like raise and build under.