areas of aboriginal cultural heritage sensitivity

Discussion in 'Development' started by Skinman, 10th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm in the process of purchasing a property in Victoria which is within an area of cultural heritage sensitivity. I have done some research and there seems to be large areas of Victoria impacted by this planning overlay. From what I can see if I do choose to develop at some point I may need to have a cultural heritage management plan developed and the development may be impacted by any items found during the work.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of developing in an area impacted by this planing overlay and if they could share any advice with me.

Thanks

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

These are areas within 200m of a water course or water body.
    It depends on the location and what "ground disturbance" has occurred as to whether or not you will need a Cultural Heritage Management Plan (CHMP)
    There is a "process list"/checklist, that asks questions about the land use proposed and existing site conditions and previous ground disturbance (also VCAT decisions that deal with the principles). That process will pop out the answer of whether or not you need a CHMP
    If you do need a CHMP, a consultant would usually start with a desktop audit to see if there is likely to be an "issue"
    If it needs to be taken further you may need field research to determine to presence of artefacts/evidence of occupation. This may or may not affect what you want to do
    Send me a PM if you need to know more.

lixas4 and Skinman like this.