Technology & Social Media Are you technically savvy

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 11th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

...... I think I am now. :p. I surprised myself... I managed to send a text to USA last night. Big deal for me ...an international text, took 15 minutes to work it out, stunned when I got a reply straight away.

MTR

Perthguy and Xenia like this.
  2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Congratulations :)

I'm not but you'd think I was a genius because I know how to google.

MTR likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I just googled as well, what did we do be4 google

Xenia likes this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Compared to the people I work with? Totally unsavvy

5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Get stuck.

Funny how few people step back to realise that a human with internet access today has access to more information and answers than the president of the US did a few decades ago.

Brady, wylie and MTR like this.
  6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I have no idea how parents kept kids alive without it back in the day :-(

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Do you mean how parents keep themselves sane back in the day? :p

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i
    Saves money too, down load manuals, amazing

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nope - took me three days to work out how to get my wireless computer to talk to my wireless printer ... they were both talking to the wireless modem, but not to each other ...

Xenia likes this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Yes I am technically savvy, my job is very heavy in the IT area. What I notice now though is there are more and more people that can perform a lot of functions that historically needed intervention from IT. This can only be considered a good thing :).

At the risk of getting on my soap box "AGAIN" and sounding like a grumpy old ******* "AGAIN", before google, parents simply just parented. They didn't need someone to tell them how, they didn't need moral support from digital friends, they just did what they had to do (and we all turned out just fine :)). Google doesn't keep kids alive, parents do, through common sense :).

I do love this technical era though, more and more things are plug and play, they simply work without the need for such an in depth knowledge of how it hangs together.

Brady and MTR like this.
  11. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

ummmm Dan.....it was just a joke :)

Dan Donoghue, sanj and MTR like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not trying to pick but this is entirely incorrect.

Let's start before books, parents and other do gooders would tell other parents how to parent.

Cue books and parents could find out how to be "good" parents. Before google, parents did not simply parent, they turned en masse to books such as Spock's The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care, which became a bestseller, going on to sell more than 50 million copies by 1998.

And we didn't all turn out just fine. ;)

In my experience, many parents don't have much common sense when it comes to childraising. The best parents I have seen had experience with caring for babies and young children while growing up (sibling, relatives etc).

willair likes this.
  13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

u had too many coffees today?

or not enough?

14. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

This I know all too well, first couple of weeks at home. "hrmmm not sure if what bubs is doing is normal" ask google, yep it's fine.

15. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We had books when I was a kid (i'm not that old lol) but my folks didn't have parenting ones, my mum was busy cooking, cleaning and working (my dad was never around) She didn't have time to read books on how to do what she was doing.

Where I grew up (north of England) there was a community feel, it was a new suburb and everyone sort of just worked together, whomevers lawn you were playing on was who kept an eye on you. So long as you were home before the street lights came on everything was fine. Now we have GPS trackers for children and pets FFS. I have a very clear memory of being very young and trapping my fingers in the wheel of my tricycle, I screamed in pain and about 5 mums came running out of their houses to help me :).

True, there are many who didn't turn out fine, but no higher a percentage than today with all these tools available.

Too many (5) yesterday I think :)

Hehe sorry, I have a bad habit of getting on my soapbox when it comes to these things ;)

Jamie Moore likes this.
  16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Here we go....When I was young (insert whatever) was so much better than (insert again) nowadays.

..or , my rose coloured, hazy, affirmation biased recollection of the past is so much better than my anecdotal view of today.

Ouga, Blacky, Dan Donoghue and 2 others like this.
  17. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Was involved in an 18 months court case 2003, solicitors were in Sydney, I was in Port Stephens. Apart from 2 trips to Sydney, a couple into Newcastle to drop documents into their office there, all work was done by email and phone. Amazing :)

Lizzie likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

LOL. I have a new printer sitting in its box on my office floor. I know when I open it and try to set it up I'm going to end up wanting to punch a wall so I've left it there in the hope one of my sons will take pity on me and set it up.

Each time I think I'll give it a try I realize I have something important to print or scan and put it off. It's been about a month and likely I'll be forced to action when I run out of ink in the old one ;).

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@MTR - your phone does text? Next thing you'll try to get me to believe is that you can take photos on it.

20. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Im at the point now...my phone makes a noise and takes me a moment to realise that it's ringing. I kinda forget that my phone can make and receive phone calls.

MTR likes this.