Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just pass by some nice restaurants, there's always nice left overs on the table. Even wine if your lucky. All free.

Yum, yum, yum for my tum, tum, tum.

Archaon and TMNT like this.
  2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I was wondering who drunk my wine and ate my meal ....I was only in the restroom for 5 mins too :)

spoon, TAJ, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Why not somewhere in the middle? drop it to $16k or $17k and see if you get some bites.

This would be too mentally draining for me personally and if it meant freeing up some space and could positively impact in another area, IE it would save you a bunch of time on the repairs end with some cash, more time for something else? I've made a conscious effort to get rid of things that don't bring me value or joy, if you love the car that's a different story.

Perthguy, Sackie and wylie like this.
  4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yes a mid point is something I am working towards, obviously my expectations for the car being sold were a bit wrong

every couple of years i stand back and reasses my overall situation and and try and make changes into which areas I need/want/should to focus on , and getting priorities right, its quite fun and confronting, I spend a whole day with A3 paper and write lists and bubble diagrams

the car has no sentimental attachment to me at this point, the day its gone, its gone from my memory!

5. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Not really. I spend like $3k a week. Problem is once I head to Asia, I find my friends spending like $20k a month just on drinks... so frugal is all relative.

6. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

This is an anecdote for my frugality: when I go to the movies, I walk 5 minutes out of my way to Woolworths to buy lollies instead of paying for exorbitantly priced Cinema food. That is, I will do whatever I can to save money, sometimes when it isn't an economically viable use of my time, e.g. spending 10 minutes to save $5.

I will, however, buy high-quality items when it makes economic sense: e.g. guitars, clothes, furniture, etc. I don't buy iPhones anymore as I can buy equivalent phones for half the money (I bought the iPhone 4, one of my favourite phones and back then priced fairly).

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Outrageous extravagance there @Zenith Chaos.

I go to the movies by bus (it's free) on Tuesdays for the seniors discounted rate ($2.50 off) and hunt around for any lollies dropped before the cleaners can get to them. I'm retired you understand and things are pretty tight for my group and so am I.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I eat a proper meal before I leave home. By not consuming any lollies, I am protecting my valuable health.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We went to the Opera House to see La Boheme the other night. A Reserve tickets for the whole of the No Mates clan. $80 all up not $350/ticket. :D

A colleague is taking her family tonight the kids are $145 each (glad that I got her a few tickets).

moridog likes this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

She's trafficking children?

Codie, pippen, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  11. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

+1! Extremely frugal starting out...now older...need to enjoy some of the fruits, no one lives forever and to some it will never be enough.
    Lifestyle to me is the end game, meaning how to live well, after applying philosophy, attitude, activity and achieving the results.;)

Sackie and Angel like this.
  12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I suppose this could relate to 'habits' you have formed over the years as opposed to being frugal.
    I continue to buy more of some items that are on sale when shopping or like to find good bargains, human nature or habit?

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

if you were truly frugal,
    you would download the movie for free, using the public librarys wifi, and watch it at home!

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

so do I, I get a buzz getting a bargain, and a low when I have to buy something at full/high price that ive seen much lower,

I havent sat down and done the maths on how much ive saved/benefited, but the buzz is REAL

spludgey likes this.
  15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

On this aspect one economists corrected my when I too said I saved such and such... and he corrected me, did you pay and spend the money or retained and saved. If we spent we really didn't save, all he meant.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

well, that makes sense, but if its a necessity in life, like petrol, youre going to be in a better position,

but I can see what theyre trying to get at

eg, recenly I won the work raffle for $100, I was going to fill me and my partners car full of petrol,

but I wouldnt feel like ive won anything, so I went and bought wagyu steaks and ate like a king!

The Y-man and MWI like this.
  17. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I like wagyu steaks too!:)

TMNT likes this.
  18. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Was looking at my grocery expenses last week with the view of starving my son, however, another culprit who eats too much is my cat, was a little surprised at how much she costs - I am thinking of asking her for board, but I only have to look at her face and she can have anything she wants ... :D

Before anyone comments my son pays board ... :)

Attached Files:

TMNT, Perthguy, Optimus and 1 other person like this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

HomePage, spludgey and truong like this.
  20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

A cat can easily be $1/day or less.
    1kg of dry food is like $2.69 say ALDI. And kitty litter doesn't have to be expensive either.