Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

feel your frustration/pain @TMNT, but part of the downside of being a landlord. ;)

TMNT likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    Although I probably come across as just ranting and saying why me?
    That's not my intention. Yeah definitely a little rant But it's part of being A landlord

But it's events like these I do think why bother scanning my woolworths card or even looking at a sales catalogue

Eric Wu likes this.
  3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

often I feel tenants are much better look after than ourselves. :(

Angel and TMNT like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My husband says that a lot.

Last year our tenants got to move into a freshly painted home with thousands of dollars spent on it making it look good as new. Our house has chipped paint and worn out floors. The sofa is awful to look at, dark brown, but still comfy to sit on. I just realised it's ten years old. The "new" kitchen was done about 2005.

sqe, Gladys, Eric Wu and 1 other person like this.
  5. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

My tenants kitchen are almost twice the size of mine (they are in capital city and we are in regionals- that says a lot) :oops:

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I even made myself chuckle about this one. I was at the supermarket yesterday and had spent $31 on groceries. The cashier accidentally forgot to put through my last $2 of items, and had already put the transaction through and I had tapped/paid when the lady behind me in the queue told the cashier that she had forgotten my last two items (I couldn't see as I was already on past the register). Cashier put the $2 worth of stuff through separately. I walked off after paying, and thought to myself, I wonder if what I spent came in at over $30 in total? I stopped, checked my receipts and realised it did. I went back and asked if she could combine the two transactions or do something so that I could get my 4 cents off fuel docket. She wasn't happy but admitted it was her mistake and she ended up rifling through the bin and pulled out a fuel docket (They must keep them when customers don't want their receipts). Sounds so cheap I know but I felt ripped off having spent the $30 and not got my 4 cents off!

Ted Varrick, kierank, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely! You go to all the trouble of just getting over the $30 and ...whoa! taken away from you!! - not good. Back to the service counter, return the lot and repurchase ;)

By the way, the 5% discount on Woolies gift card thru RACV (I believe other motoring associations and lenders will have the offer) is great for fuel (and groceries).

It gets the 4 cents + 5% off the fuel.
    At $1.50 per litre, that's 4 + 7.5 = 11.5c off per litre.

The Y-man

kierank, TMNT and Otie like this.
  8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Lol you don’t happen to frequent the Oz Bargain site do you? You seem like an Ozbargainer to me lol

Redwing likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No - must check it out....:)

The Y-man

10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

You should! Full of lots of hacks like that and links to coupon codes and specials

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Now I feel doubly ripped off. I would have to drive miles out of my way to access a Woolies petrol station, so I dont. The racq has a deal with a different fuel provider, also miles away, and only 4c per litre off.

12. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

As a union member, I can access 5% discount at Coles. You buy $100 vouchers for $95 BUT if you pay by credit card you have to pay fees and if you wish for a giftcard instead of emailed paper voucher there are more fees. I found it to be a lot of time and effort for a potential $5 saving. It also means having vouchers purchased in advance - which means money not offsetting loans. It would be so much easier if you could just scan your membership card at the register.

13. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Scoopon
    Have purchased some great deals through here for Kids / family activities
    Clip and Climb $10 save 62%, WynCity $20 - 4 hrs unlimited play all areas, Rampfest Skatepark $6 pp. These discounts made these outings affordable for a family and enabled us to do a few different things.

14. Jelly01

Jelly01 Member

I've thought about the same thing and I've come to the view that structural fixes are a lot better ways of saving money/earning more money than ad hoc things here and there (e.g. coupon clipping). A structural fix like getting a lower home loan rate, or doing something to reduce your taxable income each year, takes less work in the long run and once you've done it you don't have to repeatedly think about it.

E.g.: taking advantage of loopholes/generous concessions can save you a few grand in tax each year. They close the loopholes from time to time but there are always other ones that open up. Previously it was NG/CGT/Super. Now there are still a lot of generous vehicle deductions you can exploit.

Networking well can give you business connections which might pay off sometime down the future (maybe only 2% of these connections will be worthwhile, but they take relatively little effort and can bring in big bucks).

Knowing how to ask your bank manager for the right rate can save you hundreds each year. (Probably less so now in the wake of the Royal Commission, but just a few years ago banks were like the wild west, unregulated, and there were various clever ways to get yourself an advantage.)

When people talk about frugality I consider ways of being 'frugal' with the rules, i.e., ways of gaining a (legal) advantage through being clever and resourceful.

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

come over to my house!

sometimes I bathe in a bath tub full of 4c dockets, thinking I have won at life!

and I only fill up my car every fortnight,
    and dont get 5% off petrol at wool worths on top of 4c that I get!

Sackie likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

exacto lutely Yman

I scoff at high fuel prices, but when I subconsciously know that I get 11.5c per litre, it makes me feel much better
    I laugh at those that queue up at BP and pay the full price

I also used the BP 25% off fuel promotion on my amex card for 6 weeks recently,

all my cars and families cars were overflowign with petrol

17. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Seems to be a running theme here- all of us investors are tightar$es lol

18. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

I think sometimes people forget the value of their own time.

For example, a number of posts have mentioned driving further/correcting the cashier to save 4c/litre on petrol. Let's say this hassle takes an extra 10 minutes of your time (rather than just going to the most convenient service station and not worrying about dockets) and you fill up 50 litres of fuel (I would say an average fill unless you have a large car):

50 litres x $0.04 = $2.00 savings

$2.00 saving in exchange for 10 minutes (0.167 of an hour) = $11.98/hour.

Would you stay back at work on overtime for $11.98/hour? Would you drive an uber for $11.98?

The point I'm making is that time is our most valuable resource and we need to treat it as such. Deciding where,how and who you spend your time with should be your number one priority. All too often, we get so caught up sacrificing so much today so we can retire with millions when we are 40,50 or 60 years old. How do you know you will be happy at 60 with millions of dollars? Maybe you won't be any happier at all. How do you know that when you are 60, your number regret is you spent too much time at work earning overtime to grow your portfolio? Or that you were too much of tight arse to go on holidays with your kids and just enjoyed the moment without having to think how that extra coffee or ice cream is going to affect your retirement plans?

It's already been mentioned numerous times but balance is key. Enjoy today but have a simple plan in place to look after your future.

I've been so much happier since I stopped being so strict on deadlines/balances of my portfolio, simplified my goals and found happiness in day to day activities.

These days our monthly income goes along the lines of this:

50% living expenses
    10% towards cash/offsetting OO property
    20% towards investing
    10% big splurges (holidays etc)
    5% blow on whatever we want (eating out, movies, shows, coffee etc)
    5% charity

Adjust your percentages, set and forget. Enjoy today while looking after tomorrow!

MWI, Zenith Chaos and Kesse like this.
  19. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

You always have a balanced, positive attitude

20. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Haha nice. I thought I was nuts.

I've taken it a step further and purchased Jerry cans. I fill the Jerry cans at the bottom of the cycle and use during the peak. Peak to trough in Melbourne is 25c. (4c+ 25c)+5% discount.....its only about $300/yr

...then I buy smashed avo

TMNT likes this.