Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That's cool but.... I've travelled on cruises with a balcony, with a window, with an obstructed view window and had inside deck rooms. Personally, if I compare the options, I think the balcony is overrated, plenty of places you can hang out on the ship getting fresh air and besides, I think the balcony eats into your room space!
    I think obstructed window is possibly best bang for buck. Or get a guarantee room... who knows, you can get a surprise upgrade.

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2018
    Handyandy likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Very true. But I also Look at it this way
    A $5 coffee is great however if i sacrifixed 5 per week. That's 1.3k per year. I could almost go on holiday to Bali or Whitsundays

And look at it another way, my kitchen reno. I could have negotiated 1k, less had I gone hard ball

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

If my partner cancelled a $1000 deposit cruise becuase they simply changed their mind or bothered, I'd certainly take another female!

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

That's what I'd tend to think as well, however as I get older I'm starting to notice crappier hotels etc even if I'm just sleeping in them

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What the.... can you onsell the reservation to someone else?

The Y-man

6. Gockie

I booked 2 airbnbs in Copenhagen last year.... the first time we stayed at a fairly normal home out in the suburbs.
    To get into the building was a walk up 3/4 levels, a challenge with luggage. Nothing flash about the stay.

On the way back, I chose another one right near the city. It was more expensive for sure but very modern building, very interesting design. Water views and panoramic views in neay all directions. Great place to stay, even ferry rides into the city. Now that had wow factor.
    It was a place I would have loved to own or live in.

Ditto the apartment I stayed in on Lantau Island HK. This was also modern and it was a good sized place. Many levels up off the ground. I guess I love spacious spaces with views as far as the eye can see....

Handyandy and TMNT like this.
  7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

+1 Agree!
    Personal wants are differently treated to business needs!
    That's how you have to look at this...need to change the way you think, your philosophy and mentality.
    What I spend in my own personal life is irrelevant on what I spend on IPs.
    Need to treat IPs as a business, hence these issues you mentioned become part and/or cost of running your business, and hence can be tax deductible too (some positive in negatives?).
    Don't concentrate on the details rather on the large and big picture of running your business.
    However, if the financial cost is getting too high perhaps you need to re-evaluate your investment strategy?
    So don't compare your lifestyle costs with the costs of running your business....!

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I know I save thousands a year on savvy decisions compared to some around me..but I do spend a bit on other things that balance that out.

Even small decision can add up, e.g. expensive phone plans, expensive shoes, new cars, Foxtel, buying coffee+lunch vs packing your own. All $20/wk or something, but add them up and that's maybe 100/wk or 5k a year. Or double that with a new car.

However, just finishing up a 4wk trip in North America..something like 8k, but at least I've saved throughout the year on the small things to make it not too arduous. Also is more rewarding and lifetime memorable than a few fancy coffees and short term gratification.

Colleagues are like "how do you afford IP's and these holidays? You must be loaded!"..but no, just smart and targetted spending.

jaydee, Eric Wu, pippen and 3 others like this.
  9. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I do similar, based on a value for money approach. I tend to look at things on a dollars per use/hour/day/km and anything under $1 is generally a winner. As a result, I run a fairly tight ship on things like groceries, energy and self-centred discretionary spending but don't mind lashing out on things that I spend a lot of quality time with like family, entertainment and my living environment. As you say, it tends to balance itself out quite nicely.

10. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yeah we haven't had many balconies because we feel the same. If the price difference isn't great we'll get it but not worth paying a lot extra. We don't bother with window rooms. hubby likes it dark to sleep.

Yeah I wasn't impressed. He wanted to go at the time (he said). It was a very long cruise otherwise I would have tried to get someone else to go with me. It's not the first time he's made decisions which have cost us thousands. That's why I handle the money.

Yman- will look into onselling. Thanks

11. Gockie

When's that cancelled cruise on?

12. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Being frugal to me is simply wise spending.
    Needs up against wants always makes for an interesting argument.
    There is a big difference between being frugal and being a tightwad.

gman65 likes this.
  13. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thoughts as the OP a few months ago and realised I was penny smart pound stupid.
    I moved into a new apartment recently... used the NSW app to source cheapest petrol station close to home at 6pm. My usual is 2 mins from home, this cheaper place was 4-5 mins. Filled up. When leaving the petrol station roads were so busy I was forced to take the closest lane when leaving. Not knowing exactly where I was going I ended up being forced onto a toll road immediately. Couldn't get of for a solid 10-15 mins driving. Then quickest way back was by toll again and spend another 10 mins driving.
    All to save a dollar or two.
    So annoyed and reminded me I need to value my time more and stop being such a tight ass!

David_SYD, jimmy and Angel like this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

After receiving a maintenance for a simple plumbing job of $300 from an agency plumber, and comparing this with say those people that say thats $6 per week, so 2 coffees per week,

Ive started looking at possibly a different approach,

for the small things that give me joy, lets say my morning coffee (I dont drink coffee in the morning), that only work out to relatively small amounts per year, I could continue to indulge in it, while for big purchases/bills, I will spend a huge amount of energy reducing/minimising them,

eg if I have a $2k maintenace bill for something significant, I will spend the extra time trying to get it for the more competive price,

15. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I love this. People forget we have to pay our own super, we don’t pocket the ten % GST,[/QUOTE]
    800mm of pipe relined
    $4000

I asked time on site and prep
    He said Him and his apprentice 4 hours should be done.

I said nice profit margin he said yep feel free to get other quotes.

2nd quote similar.

16. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

It worked for me. I got a plumbing quote last year for just under $3000. I was a bit annoyed as the verbal quote he said was "around $2000". I thought I'd get a second quote which was about $1700. Out of curiousity, I got a third and it was just under $800 - he got the job :p

17. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

We had a plumbing job done last year where we had a leak some where , as it turns out the pinhole was in the first 2 metres from the main line that runs down the street. The first 10 metres is normally the first to corrode, as its where all the minerals in the water build up over a long time, as the pipe diameter is reduced , so it was all replaced, up to the point where it enters the house.
    As the plumber mentioned , many take the cheap option and just repair the damaged bit
    Then call him back a few months later as its leaking water again from a different pinhole.
    The original repair cost was $200 and to replace the whole section was $500.
    So your back to square one , another $200 repair, or fork out $500 and do the job properly

18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

over the last few years, devised a little reward program for myself, if I save $500 by bargaining hard or shopping around, id spend up to 50% or less on a luxury that I normally wouldnt buy because Im a tight ***
    this way I appreciate my efforts, and I wont feel like im doing all this for nothing

19. Gockie

I'm a tight *** when it comes to paying for accommodation. Free or hostel bed or tent or room in someone's Airbnb is usually what I go for, unless I'm in a country that's really cheap to travel in such as Vietnam or Cambodia.

And on my recent holiday, I chose to do the overnight Greyhound bus on 2 nights, it was a lot cheaper than flying and it saved 2 nights of accommodation. Plus I got to see what it's like for people on tight budgets. Apparently when people get released from prison in the US they are given travel on a Greyhound bus from the jail to somewhere? I have to say there were quite a few sketchy looking people at those Greyhound bus terminals late at night.

Joynz likes this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The ironic thing is recently. I've purchased a few electrical goods.
    Laptop computer. New phone outright, filled all my and family's cars in petrol due to a 25% discount, changed to a cheaper and more data prepaid phone plan, got some branded tyres for my car cheap online,
    Changed insurance to a cheaper company.
    I've participated in the woolowrths get $50 cash back if I spend $200 in 4 weeks
    Bought in bulk when household goods on special

I shopped the hell out of them, Probsbly saved $2000 in a few weeks. Pretty happy with my self. Spent hours

However received a call from 2 property managers.
    $2000 in rental arrears for two properties.
    Insurance should cover all of it however the clean up bill is thousands.

Seems all pointless in comparison.

I sit there thinking, these scum owe me $4k and get off Scott free while I scrounge around to get the best price.

And you can see why I get so angry at freeloaders, whether they are customers or businesses

Eric Wu likes this.