Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Both Yes and No.

When I decide to head off in the limo, I have no problem taking a thermos of coffee along with sandwiches/rolls made up of food (ham, cheese, chicken, you get the drift) I have available rather than buy it along the way but then I'm not adverse to just getting food from a local cafe (as long as it's not KFC/MickeyD's) .

Then I'm OK with spending $40 or more on a luncheon with friends. Not spending for the sake of not spending just isn't me but I will not criticise those who are more frugal - apart from the dude who scavenges orange peel from the waste paper basket as his good lady wants it to make Duck a l'Orange.

The Y-man likes this.
  2. LVR

LVR Well-Known Member

I try to always go by the mindset of "pay myself first". I put enough aside every payday (automatic debit into other accounts - offset loans for the properties) to cover those investments - including outgoings and maintenance. Most times there is a surplus, but eventually there will be a larger bill to cover for sure.
    I reinvest all the rents back into the same loans - more paying myself, increases equity and decreases overall interest - compounding effect.
    The rest I earn from my PAYE is MINE to spend - or not spend.

David_SYD likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if being frugal when it comes to spending where big multinationals make (big) profits but being more generous for Australian (and in particular local) businesses might be an approach?

The Y-man

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

When I am renovating or building I always favour local suppliers over multinationals. Local businesses provide a great service and I am happy to support them

Lisa from Castle Hill likes this.
  5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting question and as per the title, it's all about perspective.

For some, frugality is only about money but for others it can be about living the simple life or simply being free from clutter like owning a good old used car that can be fixed on the fly vs a new car with all the latest gadgetry that would take ages to fix and also cost a motza.

Similar to your situation, I was trying hard to save and do the right thing for the past few years (lowering PPOR debt...) and ended up spending a massive chunck of my savings on traveling expenses this year due to some family reasons. Really felt shattered at first because i worked very hard to get to where i wanted financially but then realised that it was the first time in almost a decade where i had a chance to see my family this often and that thought alone just changed my perspective on things.

Do whatever makes you happy but within reason and as you mentioned, life sometimes takes crazy turns so enjoy it while you can but again, within reason and always look for positives and balance during adversity.

6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I enjoy life without breaking the banks that my
    Motto, as long as I can generate the cash put some away for rainy day and investment then I keep on living life and do thing I enjoy

What the point of making money when you questions $5 bucks coffee where you enjoy drinking it? Or always wanted to travel to this country or that place but money over rule?

You made money and investing to enjoy life not let money dictate your life

Angel likes this.
  7. Perthguy

I had a feast for $10 the other day and the food was amazing. I don't see the point of paying $40 for the same thing or something I enjoy less.

One of my favourite lunches is $3.80, for the taste, not the price. :p

8. SatayKing

Jasus, the sausage sanger at Bunnings has gone up that much? :eek:

LVR likes this.
  9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I do as well. I'm much more frugal with myself than with my properties.

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves (most of the time anyway).

10. Perthguy

Blerg! I am talking real food! :p

11. SatayKing

KFC it is then.

The Y-man likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The issue with no call out fee is, someone stops what they're doing, drives 15-45 min, has a look at the job, figures out the issue, says to the owner "oh it's not a big job just gotta tighten them up and it'll be fine for quite a while to come".
    Owner replies with "oh no stress I can do that myself"

Plumber has wasted over an hour of his time and used his knowledge for nothing in return.

I understand your point but I'd rather pay a call out than have someone come and make it out worse than what it is just to get a job out of it.[/QUOTE]
    Most people aren't going to say, oh it's a simple fix I'll do. It myself.

As for the fee., judt today. Electrician was supposed to go out and fix a small issue. Agree on price

I can go thus or fri afternoon.
    Give him the detials..
    Thurs no show
    Fri now show

I call. Him today
    No apology no nothing.
    Oh I had other jobs. I can do it next week maybe

"so do you want to do it or not?"

"nah, it's not worth it for me"

I look fwd to the day these guys become so overpriced and short on work that they will begging for our business4

PJ1 and Nodrog like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Blasphemy! Sausage sandwich at Bunnings is the finest dining you can get anywhere. Share the experience with your wife also to invigorate the romance in your life. Dress up for the occasion. With or without onion and vary the sauces, truely an amazing experience. I’m salavating now just thinking about it.

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2018
    The Y-man likes this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Sell your IPs and buy dividend paying shares. You’ll never again need to worry about the crazy amount of IP costs eating a hole in your savings:).

qak likes this.
  15. SatayKing

Both you and I plus a few others know this is true. Then it is a case of preaching to the converted.

In all seriousness, with the impost of land taxes, rates, insurances, maintenance, tenant issues, etc, etc all of which I have read about on this forum, and some which I already knew, property investing ain't for me. Seems too much hassle and stress just to get a $$ or two.

HomePage likes this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sure its cheap and tasty and it's usually a fundraiser for some good cause, but I think it's not a good dining experience for the heart... after eating one of Bunning's finest I feel my arteries start to clog up while walking around the store :mad:

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

When we owned multiple IPs it was horrible. This was during a period when my wife’s employment made it difficult to own shares. On good household employment income but felt we had to live like paupers. High debt, crazy amount of expenses, tenant / PM issues, stress, stress and more stress. Hated it.

When wife left that job we couldn’t wait to get rid of the IPs then back into shares. Now retired and living the dream in every way. No debt, no IP expenses, no stress, just shares, nothing to do but live life to its fullest whilst watching the share dividends roll into the bank accounts.

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

That’s why I have a footlong Subway on the way home from Bunnings for a complete balanced meal:). Think of it as a healthy desert.

geoffw likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can afford this fancy desert..... you're retired, living off dividends...
    I've still got a bit to go....

20. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I've always been frugal. Grew up with nothing. I look st saving a $ then hubby tells me he doesn't want to go on a cruise now and we lose $1000 deposit. Frustrating!
    We travel budget but this year I'm thinking we are at that time in our lives where we can enjoy some luxuries. Upgrade that accom and get a balcony cabin on ships (we travel A LOT). We are not into stuff but we are going to enjoy our lives. We just sold 2 properties to increase cash flow and was so happy with our new bank balance that i booked a 30 day cruise Sydney to Vancouver next year, the day after settlement. Yeehah!
    Live the dream!!

Perthguy, Air_Bender and skater like this.