Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

I used to love expensive handbags but now I carry a $4 dollar tote bag.

I used to buy $150 dresses, now I shop at target.

I used to eat at 3 hattered restaurants, now I cook mainly at home.

I used to party all weekend and spend $200-$500 every Friday-Saturday, now I watch movies at home.

As I aged, I became naturally more frugal because the things I used to like, I know longer value them.

2. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Lol nice story. I remember catching a foul smelling Greyhound out of the ghetto that is San Bernadino into a station in LA which was also full of very shady characters. Absolutely loved it though. Met a down and out of luck pub musician on the bus who'd been travelling non stop for something like 24 hours from the other side of the country. Even if I won lotto tomorrow I'd still seek out these kind of authentic experiences in not so pleasant places.

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

is there anything that you used to spend minimal dollars on, but now you spend a lot more?

ive found that as I get older, im far more willing to spend $$$ on a nice bottle of wine/scotch

Rugrat likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That's an interesting point.

We spend more on travel now - actually contemplate prem economy or a stop over night instead of a long hard slog to get to wherever we are going....

The Y-man

Rugrat, skater and wylie like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i dont own half the major shopping centres like some! but for me its jetstar with no meals included paying with cash or premium flying using points! especially if I have kids with me

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I will do JQ or Tiger if it's a hop to BNE - can't see the point of paying extra for those

The Y-man

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

asia for me, happy to travel in cattle class, byo food,

I deliberately seat the kids in a different seat so they dont annoy me

Empire and Angel like this.
  8. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

yeh, property, shares, face stuff and makeup. I’m willing to spend money for nice properties and it’s upkeep like gardener, pool person etc. I’m willing to spend more money buying good solid shares for my future. As a woman, I want to look good physically and expensive face creams and makeup do make a difference. A jar of good face cream could set me back $250, a jar of good foundation couldn’t set me back $100... brushes could be up to $500... and that’s only 20% of the stuff a woman needs. Clothes can be cheap so I don’t spend a lot on it and shoes as well. Spending thousands on shoes has been the biggest money waster because I can’t even sell it like I can with bags. My friends on the other hand is buying Hermes like it’s free money but nothing to show for it. Each to their own and I’m not here to judge them on their decision making.

I don’t care about cars or holidays. I do like interesting and different good foods I can get my hands on here. I drink wine from aldi now... $5 bucks for a bottle of sangria wine.. so good.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2020
    Rugrat likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite with flights. I flew Jetstar once to Adelaide and I thought the motor on the wing next to me was going to fall off any moment, it screeched, rattled and shook so much. Now I only fly Qantas or Virgin and forget the price, I want to make it there and back in one piece. Hang on, during these trying times I never ever want to get inside a plane ever again.

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

• Cars (to a degree): mine's a new RAV4 Hybrid, but I bought the top of the range model to get the extra toys - when younger I'd have been happy with the entry level or #2 model. But I couldn't bring myself to spend twice as much on a comparable X5.
    • Holidays: Similar thought process - I go on a short cruise (7 days is my ideal) each year but I do pay up to get a nice large cabin with balcony rather than the cheapest, but a suite would be a step too far (2 x upgrades to suites have been gratefully accepted though). [Have got cruises booked for 2021 and 2022 but am beginning to think that the first won't happen. But if it does I'll be aboard.]

11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Most expensive thing probably my car. Was $220k. Everything else since coronavirus has been quite frugal. Before I was probably spending a bit more normally for drinks.

Empire likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I splurged and went all out on a new vehicle from Italy a week ago, I just had to do it. €437 = $711 AUD.
    Here it is.
    20200708_132825.jpg

Cousinit, spoon, Marg4000 and 5 others like this.
  13. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It's missing a wheel and handle bars.:eek:

skater and wylie like this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

dont wheels come in pairs!

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Gockie if I tried to climb onto that I reckon I'd fall over that railing. :p

16. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Wow. I assume you travel faster on that since there's less friction and weight than a conventional bike?

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Well, there is a handle and there is a wheel... it’s enough.
    “unaruota” = “one wheel”

Just some practice, you’ll be right.

People can unicycle up a hill faster than a conventional cyclist, because there’s less weight, it’s true. And you are forced to pedal harder as the gears are fixed, no shifting down past 1:1. But you tend to ride slower down the hill as you have to control your riding and you can’t freewheel (unless you have a freewheel uni, and that’s a different kettle of fish)., so you just have to keep pedalling.

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2020
  18. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hmm not really.

I am fairly liberal when it comes to food, shouting people drinks, entertainment etc. I think you should enjoy you life with the cash you have, that's what it's for.

If I am trying to 'save' something or get a discount I try to negotiate hard on the 'big' purchases that make a different (like buying property).

But I think I could improve my mindset for smaller purchases and be a bit smarter.

wylie and Rugrat like this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

She went for a ride on our Italian master when here last, and has been converted ever since.

Gockie likes this.
  20. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have that with time.

I will try to save time doing everyday tasks and work, I'll rush to get to a place in the car, but ultimately what I do with most of my saved time is just sit on the couch or sleep.

Quite amusing when I think of it.