Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

German thing, price is long forgotten, but value is remembered a lot longer.

ta
    rolf

jimmy likes this.
  2. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

You may not come out alive :( Or worse, you will be stranded at sea...

3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Yes I know what you mean, many years ago I used to walk into book shops and could just be there for hours and hours, usually my young kids would need to pull me out of there!

charttv likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

When I was a child, I went to the library for the first time. The librarian had to call my mother some hours later to take me home, as they were trying to close.

I was brought up around books - my parents had a bookshop.

charttv and MWI like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Free Corona!

6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

What I loved about the physical books was the covers the pictures the smell, being able even just to browse!

geoffw likes this.
  7. MicrowaveJenny

MicrowaveJenny Well-Known Member

Love libraries! Like a free Lollie shop. So many choices and formats on offer. Comfy couches, peace and quiet. An introvert's happy place.

Bunbury, Angel and geoffw like this.
  8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I must share an experience. Many years ago I was in a supermarket and picked up an investment magazine and started reading. That was a time most magazines weren't shrink-wrapped, except the really sizzling ones :rolleyes:.

A security guard approached me and asked me to get lost, thinking I was planning to steal the magazine. I think the shopkeepers at the book shop must be thinking the same when I was there for the whole day. Sometimes they even asked if they could check my bag :oops: Of course they saw a notepad with a lot of summaries scribbled during my book-reading feast...:D

Redwing likes this.
  9. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When I was a Tafe student, I would sometimes spend the day in the UQ library, accessed with my student ID card. Heaven.

charttv likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Uni Libraries these days have hardly any books in them :( Mostly study space and computers (to access ebooks and journals etc)....

The Y-man

charttv likes this.
  12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

That's not very nice bringing your own sweets into the cinema . I want you to buys lots & lots of profitable sweets so my poor tenant EVT Home - EVENT Hospitality & Entertainment can pay the rent.
    :)

MWI likes this.
  13. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

1. Always use a discounted eGiftCard when buying from ColesWorth. Saving at least 5%
    2. Plan shopping around the catalogue
    3. Use Cashrewards/Shopback whenever possible
    4. Homebrand goods can be as good as branded ones -- Oats, Milk, Sugar, Laundry detergent, other staples
    5. Bring lunch to work (better enforced during lockdown)
    6. Every cent counts, everything adds up
    7. Don't own pets ever

Redwing and Toon like this.
  14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Not even Chickens?

15. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

You may save money but it won’t be a rich life IMO. Each to their own I guess

skater and TMNT like this.
  16. bradleee16

bradleee16 Well-Known Member

Frugality is probably a light way of putting my trait... I think my partner prefers the term Scrooge. :D
    *Our rentals where we live are picked based on proximity to Aldi (currently directly opposite one :cool:)
    *Sold the car and now we walk/train everywhere (plus saving the environment, right?)
    *I'm the person that'll call service providers once a year to negotiate our rates down

We still have fun and travel and he gets my thinking -- what's a few hard years now if we can get out of the rat race soon enough? We just don't get new phones and keep our fixed costs low.

17. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

:D:D

So funny you should say this.

My wife and I travelled across Canada and the USA for about 4 months a few years ago.

We were on a budget and took Greyhounds everywhere, mostly overnighters to save on accommodation too. We got them from areas that don’t come even close to existing in Australia.

We met some very interesting people. A lot of people who fell on hard times (probably not for the first time), grabbed a cheap ticket and were making a fresh start somewhere else.

Anyway, ended up in Houston Texas Bus Terminal one morning. Saw a lot of guys dressed in white vests, shorts, knee-high socks and pumps, holding parcels of books and a Greyhound ticket. They were all queuing up to use their one free phone call. The wife got a bit nervous, I played it down but knew full well what was happening. To her despair, they all jumped on our bus. The driver knew the drill. Many of them would sporadically approach the driver at any point and tell him “we’ll just get off here” and two or three ex-cons would jump off and seemingly set upon their new lives.

Great memories although ended up in some seriously dangerous predicaments :D:D:D

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hahaha. I was at the Greyhound Houston bus terminal.... bus was due to leave like 2am in the morning or something. Really sketchy.

Picture me, middle aged Asian Australian lone female traveller waiting there by myself in the middle of the night!

Anyway, people leave you alone, but it was all quite an experience.

George Smiley and David_SYD like this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I just remembered from some spam from the cinemas.

One of my pet frugal stubborn tightness is not buying at the candybar at the cinemas
    I remember and still do stuffing my pants full of bottles of coke and chips and creeping into the cinema,
    Saved me a good $15 each time

20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I get my wife to take a big handbag, that she rarely uses, when we go to the cinema!

TMNT and Empire like this.