Are you frugal in everyday life: perspective?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Rolex?

2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Not myself personally but some of my..... 'well off folks' (not on here though) spend on boats, expensive flights and holidays, expensive alcohol, jewellery/watches, art, cars, and of course properties including holiday homes, and stocks, and buying companies in trouble and making them profitable again, charities and giving....etc.
    Really personal thing like you say, may not justify spending $400 on shoes yet will buy a boat for over a million! Really. Or will donate huge amounts to their charities or their worthwhile causes too!
    We like all different things that's what makes us unique wonderful human beings, IMHO!

Shazz@ likes this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

+1!

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No! Swatch watches man. You must be mistakin me for cashed up @kierank . I do know he likes to sip his beers in a wine glass. Gave me grief when I drank from a bottle. He's a refined genteel-man :D

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I can imagine your husband's response everytime you pass a jewellery watch store :p

6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Have a very great spouse, never denied anything....and sips his alcohol from a glass too!
    No shops! I am frugal! Auction houses for me!:D
    Sotheby's just changed their name to Smith & Singer so it should be interesting...

Sackie likes this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

You must be mistaken - I am a credit card man.
    You must be mistaken - I drink beer out of beer glasses (preferably crystal) and sip wine out of wine glasses (preferably crystal).
    Correct

... and modest :p.

spoon and Sackie like this.
  8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Just got a Fossil Sport (they're now down to $199 seems like good value). I really like it. Today I forgot it at home and I'm really missing it.
    What a dreadful OS it is though, I feel like they're trying to do way too much with it by getting a whole android system and stripping it down slightly. This means it's buggy, slow and extremely battery intensive. Would have been much better to design it from the ground up with a strong Android interface in mind, in my opinion.
    But in the long run their approach might well pay off, as the OS gets more optimised and you're starting to get a convergence between phones and wearables.

PS: I typed all this and then realised that you said "Swatch", not "smart". Never mind then, I'll try and learn how to read! o_O

Also, I haven't carried a wallet in well over six months. The only card in my phone is my work swipe card. All other cards are stored on the phone, such as digital licence, NFC credit cards, photo of Medicare card, etc.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

:D:D All good. I like Fossil too. I like big watches and they do some great ones.

And no it's not for any kind of compensation :p . That's @kierank department perhaps :D

10. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Fugal thread is going to a splash thread
    I splash on dresses and homewares :oops:

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Be careful about splashing on dresses. Some shrink when wet.

I'm not sure your gender. If you're male, you're being quite brave, revealing this part of yourself in public.

samiam and Sackie like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

pfft. Only if you see it that way. Ok, so the other day I needed a switch with USB file sharing. Shops don't actually sell such a product so the only option is a brand new NBN modem/router for ~$180. Instead, I jumped on gumtree and found a guy selling one for $10 brand new in box. It is a bit of hike but my car runs on sparrows farts (I spent $950 on my car last year all inclusive - insurance, petrol, rego, repairs). Myself and my partner headed down. Nice arvo for a drive. Met the guy and had a chat. Nice guy and it was nice to meet him. I told him what I was doing with the modem and he was happy I could make use of it. And I was happy I got a $180 modem for $10. Grabbed an ice-cream for 70c at maccas on the way home. Great afternoon!

naaa. I live life every day. I love it!

For me, there is no point if I am not enjoying the journey. I won't be miserable every day of my life until I achieve "wealth" and can finally be happy. If I'm not loving the journey then I change things around so that I am. No point otherwise.

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I guess it's each to their own really. What's honey for one person may not be for another.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I'm just messing with ya. I hate watches and love scoring a bargain. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it. As for the watch thing, each to their own ;):D

Sackie and skater like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You'd be good at poker! :D

Perthguy likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The biggest realisation of people have their vice on what they spend their money on,

came to me a few years ago when

I went out with a bunch of friends,
    one was on a "measly $250k job" spent $200 per bottle on multiple champagne at bars, often too drunk to even remember, but would scoff at spending more than $4 per meal at home, that he was content with toast for dinner,

whilst another, on a tiny salary would spend all their discretionary income on eating out and would have no hesitation in spending $200 on fine dining, and their choice of drink was a mineral water

but it still doesnt stop me thinking some people are tight asses when they are rich and complain about the cost of trivial things, like price of parking, cost of tomato sauce when buying a pie, or credit card surcharge

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm holding off buying toilet paper until it goes on special at the Colesworths.

I might be waiting a long time. :rolleyes:

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I only drink my 'Krystal' from crystal too :oops:

kierank likes this.
  19. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I used to stand/sit in the Dymocks bookshop in CBD Melb on weekends after having breakfast and read, except lunch and going to toilet, finished a book a day on investment or self-help. Then go home. That's was my weekend routine when I first came out to work with pennies. Funny enough those knowledge gained was the most memorable and best guidance.

When I became a bit well-off, I made practice that if the book I read in the bookshop was really good, I would still finish reading it onsite, but bought it on my way out. That way I never had a book on my bookshelf I did not complete.

Unfortunately with the advances of the internet, I am now reading PC instead of books. But then I learn a lot more through people's experiences and perspectives.

charttv, The Y-man and Sackie like this.
  20. MicrowaveJenny

MicrowaveJenny Well-Known Member

Mixed bag here. Ordinarily frugal in most areas, sometimes to save a penny, sometimes to enjoy simple pleasures by living in the moment.

Finding myself financially beaten from a separation settlement years ago, allowed me to not only hone some serious budgeting skills, but to discover the free treats life has on offer, like bushwalking on a cold morning with a thermos of milo, or reading an awesome novel borrowed from the local library in the sun on a blanket in the park.

On topic of libraries - I only ever read Your Investment Property mag from the library instead of buying them.

There are a few pleasures I don't compromise on, although even then it's 'less is more' eg: would rather own one Swiss watch than several cheaper dress watches; one beautiful fragrance instead of a dozen cheap scents.